Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large capacitors - any value?

Hello everyone and happy easter
    I have five large capacitors that came out of old xray equipment some years back. They seem to charge up and discharge ok (using my digital meter). Is there anything that someone would use these caps for? Is there a better way to test them? Thanks!

Re: Large capacitors - any value?

just reform them.if the esr is good and no leakage after reforming i would keep em.
    just got one at mendelsons for my friends asteroids.had a 78 datecode.
    reformed just fine.

Comment

yes they have value.
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

This type of caps for high wattage power supply only for using. normally not using this much high value. So keep it some time need heavy equipment psu for repair/

Comment

Thanks for the info fellows. I've used the search function on here but am still confused on how to reform a cap exactly. Anyone got a link to a threas or site that explains how to reform exactly? Thanks!

Comment

Here is a pdf of reforming using a Heathkit cap checker. Works using same principle with others as well.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b260b00ca0.pdf

Comment

Essentially it consists of very slowly raising the voltage applied until it gets to the maximum rating.

Comment

we had purchase this goods before, but you said that they had been long time on ya ,you can testing them use below method
                Detecting capacitance amateur conditions, you can use a digital multimeter with capacitance test functions as a tool, such as DT9205A 1p ~ 200μF capacitor can be detected.
                The professional testing capacitance, need to purchase a "digital bridge" detector capacitance, electrolytic capacitor leakage current tester detects leakage current of the capacitor, electrolytic capacitor voltage tester "instrument.

Comment

Working...
                X