• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Internet Speed (Speedtest.net)

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
    within the country:

within europe :
    The first one is to a datacenter 200 miles away in Bucharest, at the other major ISP (the two major ones have peering agreements)
    The second is 600 miles away in Germany...

later edit: Oh.. I do live in one of the major cities of Romania, though. Smaller cities or villages or as you say the boonies (most of them) don't have the infrastructure to get 100 mbps, at this ISP for example they're still connected through DOCSIS 2 standard, which can deliver a max of about 35 mbps. I'd say they may have a bit more unstable connections, but overall it's not as bad as what I see from shovenose for example.
    And even in those boonies, you could still get ADSL+ (about 8-24mbps/1-3 mbps up) as the old phone company pretty much upgraded all their telephone systems to digital.

There's also several phone networks which have coverage pretty much everywhere (but 3G and internet access has less coverage)... For example you can get for 12 euro a month this: http://www.orange.ro/internet-mobil/...-10/index.html (3 GB at 21.6/5.6 mbps, 128kbps after, free between midnight and 7 am)
    Vodafone has something similar starting from 9 euro a month, but with no free traffic during the nights : https://www.vodafone.ro/personal/int...e-pc/index.htm

I wouldn't say 110-150 ms is bad, for going across the ocean and in the last picture, quite a long way to Dallas (5800 miles).

Speaking of money... yeah, 31 dollars here is more like if you'd pay 80-100 dollars in US, as the average salaries here are much lower, the majority being probably about 700-800 dollars a month. The majority of people would choose the plans that go up to about 25 mbps and they'd pay for plans with less TV channels.

Still, there's quite a lot of people working at IT or foreign companies with offices here that get paid over 1000-1500$ which is quite a lot, so it makes sense to have such plans available. Myself, I make close to 2000$ as a freelancer, and considering I work from home, it's quite a comfortable living.

As for content distribution, it works great... the ISP has Akamai servers within the network - I get 100mbps from those servers. Youtube delivers videos from their German and French datacenters so no issues there...
    Most content delivery networks have a lot of servers in Europe also.
    Last edited by mariushm; 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I wish the attached screenshot from my phone were accurate... or is it?
      Apparently this app is based on Ookla software, which is also the same used by Speedtest.net

Is this accurate you think?
      Attached Files

Comment

not possible. most likely cached

http://www.speedtest.net/mobile.php

Comment

Ugh Android is installing a bunch of App updates... I never really believe the speedtest.net android app results...
          Doing it 3 consecutive time makes 3 totally different results...

DSL's in a good mood today:

This is on my phone, like 5 seconds before the PC one...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by shovenose; 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

this might work
            http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

Comment

Neat! I'm putting that on my website

Comment

Here is the speed at my house:

I'm pretty sure there's people living in mud huts in Africa with better internet speed. I won't get into how much I have to pay for that ****.

For the record, that is my *only* option. It's either that, or dial-up. Period. The in-town cable provider will get out here sometime next year, then I'll have decent speeds. Until then... no.
                A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Ouch! I guess I should appreciate my internet a little more than I do...
                  But still, that sucks!

Comment

acstech - can't you work out some radio connection somehow? All town has the same poor speeds?

As in talk to someone 1-2 miles from you to let you plug a switch and a directional radio antenna on their roof and if you're in straight line/direct view you're golden.

Comment

This is a radio connection. The problem is they had it throttled 11 years ago when they set it up, and never bothered to update it because they have a monopoly on this area. It's more than a couple miles to town, with trees in the way, otherwise it might try it.

The town has great speeds. It's just that for years they stopped precisely at the city border. Now, that policy has been changed.

At any rate, I'll have the following choices sometime next year, when they get fiber out here:

Mbps down / up - price
                      12/1 - $56
                      20/2 - $75
                      25/5 - $104
                      50/5 - $150

I think Flo-Ban (as I like to call my current ISP) will go out of business shortly thereafter.
                      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Yeah... I'm sure a website on a shared hosting account at GoDaddy will give you accurate results.
                        Or better put, I should trust a guy with 3 posts (first 2 being totally useless and empty of any information) that spams his website on the third post.

Comment

For what it's worth, I was out in Point Reyes this weekend (for those who have no idea what that is, it's even more out in the midle of nowhere than Fairfax), and guess what? The cable internet at the house I stayed at had very nice internet, provided by Level 3 Communications (don't they only provide internet for datacenters?) and it gets 14M down abd 0.8M up

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post

DSL's in a good mood today:
                            That looks just like my speeds in Cavendish, Vermont, in the boonies!

And even there, it's possible to get some more speed!

I moved to Springfield, Vt on March 5, 2008 and glad I did!

I get 12.0 Mb down in Springfield with the same ISP I have.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                            X