• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need some help with resistor values

any thoughts on correct value for R4 ?

Comment

I can make out a 4 and a 0 so it might be a 470 (47Ω) try cleaning it off and see if you can read the number.
      Is it between the ic drive output and the fet gate?

Comment

i thought 470 too . think its across D7 will check later

Comment

ok R4 connects from IC to gate so must be gate resistor .
          it also connects to R5 and R11 .
          D7 also connects to ic same pin then to R5 then to gate
          so need to now know correct value for R5 as was earlier thought to be gate resistor i think .

Comment

looks like same as R27 on this schematic ....page 17
            Attached Files

Comment

I suspect R5 would be a low value also, maybe in the 30~50 ohm range? This is just a guess based on other schematics.
              Last edited by R_J; 11-27-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

i cant even find any schematics with values on the resistors . most schematics i have looked at dont even have the diode and resistor in series . what is the purpose of them i wonder ?

Comment

The resistor is used to adjust the mosfet turn on speed and stop gate loop ringing, basically the diode is used to help turn off the mosfet. I suspect the resistor in series with the diode is to adjust the turn off speed.
                  See page 2, it shows this configuration
                  In post #19 I mentioned the ncp1251, It is not a replacement I only mentioned it because the way it operates is similar and the datasheet is in english

Here is a Chip-Rail CR6853 datasheet, in english. I suspect it is very close to the CR6855, and you can see how it operates.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by R_J; 11-27-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info .
                    i am not too good at following the calculations . what value resistors would get me in the ballpark ?

Comment

The Chip-Rail datasheet was so you could see what voltages (ie:VDDon) are required to get the ic working which should be similar to the ic on the board (which is likely dead) R6 seems to be 47Ω so I would try a 47Ω for R5 as well.
                      I doubt you would be able to calculate the values from the datasheet, they likely picked them with the operation of the mosfet in mind. Without another board or schematic I don't know how else you will find the exact values.
                      On R9 I can make out a 5, my guess would be it was a 0.5Ω 1~2 watt but I could be wrong.
                      Last edited by R_J; 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

nice one thanks . will update as to what happens when i have the parts and fitted them . might take a while as have to go away soon .

Comment

Have you priced out a new charger or looked for a good used one? it might be cheaper to go that route then trying to repair this one.

Comment

nothing available at all .
                            i did think like i mentioned earlier to get a plug in supply and wire to charging terminals . just need to know the right one to get . original is 18v 1500ma . i guess it should actually be higher than 18v though with the battery being 18v . just crossed my mind with that is there wont be a light to say the battery is charged .

Comment

am thinking i could use this . all i need to do is transfer the led part and wire the charger to original box . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Workzone-...ess-Batteries-

Comment

I found typical part values for CR6855 in a 12V 3A power supply and 5N60 MOSFET, and laptop 19V 2.1A application.

R9 Current-sense I see a "5" and guess it was 0.56 ohms.
                                R6 Gate drive on I see a "4" and guess 4R7 as datasheet says its 1-5 ohms.
                                R5 Gate drive off ... I would guess the same

Comment

Working...
                                X