More Linksys Driver Horse Puckey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Linksys Driver Horse Puckey

WMP54GX, if someone can find a WORKING 64 bit driver for it (win7 64), you'll be a saint! Searched for hours, no dice.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: More Linksys Driver Horse Puckey

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    WMP54GX, if someone can find a WORKING 64 bit driver for it (win7 64), you'll be a saint! Searched for hours, no dice.
    Run a live linux disc and lspci it from terminal. Then find the drivers for the actual chip.

I do that all the time... for xp and up, the "linkshit/dead-link/belchin utilities" are nothing but bloat and a raw driver install (or even .inf) is much better in the long run.

edit- this also may unlock some locked out features... I made a linksys g+ PC card into a Draft N card this way.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 12-17-2012, 07:33 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

no go. its a ralink chipset. appears theres no x64 drivers for it on any MS platform. Typical linksys trash.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

no go. its a ralink chipset. appears theres no x64 drivers for it on any MS platform. Typical linksys trash.
        My linksys PC card was atheros based.

I also have a linksys PCI card in my "pile" that is broadcom based... rated for G + speedbooster. Missing antenna (I swiped one from a TI based B card for testing)). Email me if you want it.

edit. it's a WMP54GS, Rev. 1.0. IIRC it has a BCM4306 or the like in it.

edit2: It has native 7 support and HP has a compat. enhanced driver:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...it/td-p/320905
        Last edited by ratdude747; 12-17-2012, 09:53 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Mine is the WMP54GX, not the S... Win7 does not have native support for it... I'll try that driver, I've tried quite a few that didn't work, one more won't hurt.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

FWIW

Referring to post by sailor44 in this thread:
            http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...-7/td-p/296081

Download to which he refers is no longer second from bottom, but third from top, at time of giving this link:
            http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=500
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Mine is the WMP54GX, not the S...
              I know... re-read my post.

I was just saying that if you need a PCI card that DOES have 7 x64 support, I have one sitting. Yeah, it isn't quite as nice... but the quality is a few orders of magnitude higher.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                FWIW

Referring to post by sailor44 in this thread:
                http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...-7/td-p/296081

Download to which he refers is no longer second from bottom, but third from top, at time of giving this link:
                http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=500
                Already tried that one, it was one of the first ones I tried....no bueno.
                Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                I was just saying that if you need a PCI card that DOES have 7 x64 support, I have one sitting. Yeah, it isn't quite as nice... but the quality is a few orders of magnitude higher.
                I'll take it if you dont have any use for it.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Already tried that one, it was one of the first ones I tried....no bueno.

I'll take it if you dont have any use for it.
                  It's one of those things I was going to use but I've since been using dd-wrt'd routers in Client-bridge mode to do what the cards were going to do. I'll email you details
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's one of those things I was going to use but I've since been using dd-wrt'd routers in Clint-bridge mode to do what the cards were going to do. I'll email you details
                    I've got a couple of WAP's I could bridge....you just started me thinkin....
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

you just started me thinkin....
                      Uh oh! He's thinking!

sigpic

Comment

Uh oh! He's thinking!

Yea, that can be dangerous and lead to disasters!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

I think I smell something burning!

Linksys = Stinksys
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                            I think I smell something burning!

Linksys = Stinksys
                            No... here's the short list of brand names:

Linksys --> Linkshit
                            cisco --> shitsco
                            D-link --> Duh-link
                            Belkin --> Belch'in
                            Netgear --> Nutgear
                            sigpic

Comment

TC, are you sure it's a Ralink?
                              from what I see it's a Airgonet AGN100 chipset (they were bought out a long time ago) and indeed there's nothing beyond XP drivers.
                              "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
                                TC, are you sure it's a Ralink?
                                from what I see it's a Airgonet AGN100 chipset (they were bought out a long time ago) and indeed there's nothing beyond XP drivers.
                                If it is... then once again we have a draft N card neutered into a G+ card by linkshit!

Like I said... and lspci from the terminal (on linux) will do it, even for stuff w/o linux drivers.

For future reference (I. E. linux noobs who read this thread down the road), here's how lspci works.

1. If your card is anything other than USB, use lspci:

(from my personal laptop)

Code:
                                larry@larry-d630:~$ lspci
                                00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
                                00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
                                00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
                                00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
                                00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                                00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
                                00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
                                00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
                                00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
                                00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                                00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                                00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
                                00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                                00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
                                00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
                                00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
                                00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
                                00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
                                01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS 135M] (rev a1)
                                03:01.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge (rev 21)
                                03:01.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
                                09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
                                0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
                                If your card is usb, use lsusb:

Code:
                                larry@larry-d630:~$ lsusb
                                Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                                Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                                Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                                Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                                Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                                Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                                Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                                Bus 003 Device 014: ID 413c:8140 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 360 Bluetooth
                                Bus 005 Device 002: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
                                Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b97:7761 O2 Micro, Inc. Oz776 1.1 Hub
                                Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0b97:7772 O2 Micro, Inc. OZ776 CCID Smartcard Reader
                                2. From either list, pick out the wireless device. In my case, it's the Intel 4965 AGN [Kedron] device.

3. Find drivers for that device. This may take some digging, as many chip companies do not release drivers directly (but give it to customer companies to integrate into their BS crapware). The trick around that is to find another device whose manufacturer released the raw driver and to use that driver on your device. I once used an ASUS driver to directly run an old D-link PC G card with a marvell chip in this way

4. Use the drivers and enjoy the full abilities of that card w/o any extra resource hogging utilities or crapware.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X