Powerline Adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerline Adapters

This device allows you to use a power outlet as a Network Adapter!

How can this work? Is it safe?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&sku=N100-1433

Re: Explain This Please

These are "safe" products, but to be honest, I would never use one.

The powerline solutions are usually meant for last-ditch-effort when you just can't run network cable and you need "something."

However, I've also found them to be very unreliable. Also, if you look, you'll see that their speed is only rated at 85Mbit/Sec. Real-world, expect appx 30Mbit/Sec. That's less than 10% of the speed available to modern ethernet connections and you'll definetely notice a drop in connection quality during large file tranfers, (i.e. movie files from a network share to a DVR, HTPC, etc.)

It won't affect internet speed much at all, as most of us don't have >30Mbit download speeds, and the latency is fairly negligible.

My recommendation, run cable and connect it that way.

Hope that helps!

Comment

They are safe, but as said above, the actual speed varies a lot.

And, as it works by introducing "noise" in the power cables, they won't work well if you're using an UPS or any device like a surge protection socket.

Speed is also much lower if the wall sockets are on different circuits in the house, if you're using microwave ovens or any device that's poorly designed and introduces noise on the power wires... they can disconnect or degrade the signal.

There are newer generation devices that work on a newer standard, but even those can reach about 60 mbps but on average they stay at around 30 mbps:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4695/h...ices-working/1

ps. One "flaw" these devices have is that they heat a lot, so if you plan to use them you must keep that in mind and not have carpet near them or other heat sources which would fry them, they need air around them to keep the temperature in check.

Comment

I have an old set of netgear ones.

It wasn't reliable. it liked to overheat. (edit- I was posted over, its not as uncommon as i thought)

those look better built.

they work as long as you don't plug them into a power strip with a surge protector... surge protectors kill the signal.

I would personally stick to wifi do to greater bandwidth but if you need super security and cannot run some cat5e, it works.

(it may be used in the future for people's internet connections...)

edit- thread moved and title fixed to reflect topic
        Last edited by ratdude747; 01-11-2012, 09:51 AM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Please Explain

I use to use one. It worked fine but I had one that the other end was a wireless access point. It got a little hot, not the best signal strength, but it worked. The only reason I got rid of it is because AT&T sent us these new wireless Uverse TV boxes and they allow you to tap into the back of them with ethernet cables for internet.

Comment

Re: Powerline Adapters

Not even the latest powerline networking standards compare to wiring dedicated to networking, and powerline networking should only be used to supplement your wiring dedicated to networking, not replace it.
            There can be issues about the use of powerline networking in rental properties.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              surge protectors kill the signal.
              It's the EMI/RFI filter that just happens to be included in most surge suppressors. Cheapie "plug strips" usually just have a .47 - .68 uF cap across the line. Better ones will have a proper CLC filter. Both will eat up the carrier-current signal from the 'add-a-plug' devices.

And if both units are on opposing phases, that signal's not getting past the XL of the distribution transformer. X-10 sold a 'line coupler' so your Powerhouse controllers would work no matter what phase they were on. I think it was (mostly) just a cap.

Before the "plug-in-ethernet" toys, there were "phone-anywhere" gadgets. If you used them to 'extend' a phone line to a better location for a modem (also marketed as a miracle solution in this case), you'd be lucky to get 9600 bps.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Hi- I have no idea but google "powerline ethernet diagram"

there are number of articles on Wiki

Here is one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

Lots of technical stuff here:
                http://www.datasheetarchive.com/sche...datasheet.html

Including attachment if you want to build your own!!
                Attached Files
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

My best guess would be that using a homes wiring as a data network wouldn't workout so well. I'll stick with my hardwired DSL modem. It works for me.
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

I've used these all time time, they're safe and useful.
                    It's true, the speed sucks.

I live in rented accommodation so I can't run cables all over the house and most of the older houses are built properly with thick block walls.

They're good for printers and I used them to connect from the house to my garage...

Comment

My first gen powerline/ethernet adapters served their purpose safely and worked in my home network. Mine were slow but faster than our local DSL.
                      You need a pair or more for home networks. I've used Tiger refurbs before with no problem. The price is right.

The older ethernet bridges were to be plugged in directly--not into a surge protector. The noise prevention caps (EM and RF) created a problem.

Every circuit may not communicate with every other circuit in the building and some of your circuits may communicate with a neighbor's wiring.

Hard wiring is the most secure and pristine.
                      Uffda

Comment

Interesting I have thought about the possibility of that you may be able to access someones network if you are close enough by doing this.

So Im living in a block of units so you're saying seems my next door neighbours power box is next time mine they can connect to me via power.

Comment

So Im living in a block of units so you're saying seems my next door neighbours power box is next time mine they can connect to me via power.[/QUOTE]

It depends on how your own circuits are set up. Sometimes, a circuit may be isolated. Sometimes, a circuit may link to another box.

If memory serves, I read this in a review of home wiring ethernet bridges somewhere. Since my understanding and memory of this are both fuzzy , I should have kept my mouth shut.

I side with the folks who recommend ethernet cable (but I use a couple of DSL modems or a wireless router depending on mood or traffic). My computers are on different floors and a good 50 feet apart.
                          Last edited by uffda_oi; 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM. Reason: added stuff
                          Uffda

Comment

Never tried one but I don't like the idea. I much prefer my wired ethernet network.

Also I think a lot of them are badly built with crap capacitors... Certainly haven't seen anyone praising one for high quality construction yet!
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

I had a set of netgear xe102 adapters... and I recently received for free another 2.

haven't used them in a while... but i opened one and found nothing but UCC and nichicon caps...

the last time i used them, they would overheat under heavy usage....

looking at the size of the main chip, I think one could get a set of stick-on heatsinks and stick those on the chips to cool them... next time I am at Fry's, I may grab a pack and see...

(posted this using the adapters)
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                              X