Old 03-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #61
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Topcat's Weird Pentium Pro Builds

Another rather boring day....I dug the PR440FX build back out to install the Overdrive CPU's that have been sitting here for about a month.... When all this virus nonsense is finished, this build will be finished up with a nifty GPU upgrade.....so what the hell, I'll toss the CPU's in it and make sure everything is playing nice...

Seen by the BIOS. These essentially turn your socket8 pentium pro system into a pentium2. Much better performance, no FDIV bug (not that it was really a factor), full speed L2, Add in MMX, plus 133MHz additional core speed!! What a win!

What a money shot!!

One of the CPU's even came with the manuals.

I rounded up some enlight drive rails that I needed.

CPU-Z sees it as a Klamath core, when in reality it's a (SL2KE) Deschutes...which apparently is a normal thing for it to be detected this way because of the stepping.

Awesomesauce!

THis thing will run some GL Quake1 and other older sordid Glide games with a bliss & classiness that will make any p-pro system blush!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppro_4160.JPG (215.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg ppro_4161.JPG (339.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg ppro_4163.JPG (302.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg ppro_4164.JPG (290.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg ppro_4165.JPG (202.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg ppro_4166.JPG (313.4 KB, 95 views)

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #62
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
One of the CPU's even came with the manuals.
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1585434483
CPU manuals?! That is soo funny.
Nowadays, you get a fancy-ish box... but everyone is supposed to know what the CPU they are getting is capable of and how to install it, so no instructions or manual... which is a shame, because you do have to go online to actually check the full specs of a CPU (namely, TDP, voltage, and etc.) since the boxes barely say anything on them for the sake of the "design". I also find Intel tends to be very cryptic with their CPU TDP specs and apparently, Intel TDP and AMD TDP are not the same. For AMD, TDP typically states the maximum power a CPU can use. For Intel, is somewhat more of an average under some load... but not really specified (for example, an average 67W TDP Core 2 Duo can pull about 100 Watts under max CPU load - and that's not at the wall.) So sometimes I wish we had a little bit more clear CPU specs included with the box.

Quote:
Awesomesauce!

Last edited by momaka; 04-20-2020 at 06:42 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #63
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

A New Old Stock 3DFX Voodoo3 installed.

Yay, POST!

The Quake1 test in 1024x768:

This motherboard and this card don't get along very well, its quirky in windows....but run GL stuff perfectly. I thought the card was wonky after sitting in a box for ~21 years, but I tried it in 2 other systems and it was 100% fine in every aspect....so I may have to divert this card to a different build and do something else in this one. I think I have a PCI period-specific ATI radeon with 128mb RAM....I just don't remember which GPU it is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4676.JPG (361.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4680.JPG (176.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4681.JPG (309.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4682.JPG (221.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #64
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
This motherboard and this card don't get along very well, its quirky in windows....but run GL stuff perfectly. I thought the card was wonky after sitting in a box for ~21 years, but I tried it in 2 other systems and it was 100% fine in every aspect....so I may have to divert this card to a different build and do something else in this one. I think I have a PCI period-specific ATI radeon with 128mb RAM....I just don't remember which GPU it is...
This post created from this machine with the Voodoo3. The issue is apparently the SCSI controller and the GPU not playing nice with eachother....I've had this issue with others in the past with this controller, it can be fickle. I removed the controller and installed an IDE HDD, all is fine. I'll sacrifice the SCSI for 3DFX! I'm cooking up a new plan for drives (something I've done with a few retro builds I've sold).....details soon.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #65
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Quote:
This post created from this machine with the Voodoo3. The issue is apparently the SCSI controller and the GPU not playing nice with eachother....I've had this issue with others in the past with this controller, it can be fickle. I removed the controller and installed an IDE HDD, all is fine. I'll sacrifice the SCSI for 3DFX! I'm cooking up a new plan for drives (something I've done with a few retro builds I've sold).....details soon.
It ain't period correct, but I have a 2-port IDE 3ware 7000 card sitting. No BBU or the header for such (but I have the SMD headers to fix that if it's like the 9500 )

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #66
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
It ain't period correct, but I have a 2-port IDE 3ware 7000 card sitting. No BBU or the header for such (but I have the SMD headers to fix that if it's like the 9500 )
This most recent mod involves period-specific size SSD's fitted into some of these antiques. Speed-wise, they stellar...and far more reliable than ~20yr old spinners... I'm on one right now.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #67
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Since this build is a function over form build (retro gaming performance), I just went ahead and removed the SCSI. I could probably get away with a different controller, but I just decided to remove it and make it perform versus look cool....so an IDE cdrom and the 'mystery' HDD!

When I get this tweaked, I'll reveal the awesome secret....right now, it's kind of cobbled together....I have to get it put together correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4700.JPG (255.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 3dfx_4701.JPG (254.1 KB, 31 views)