Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A7N8X-X Ver 2.0 -A02

Hello;

I have looked around the forum here and have seen lots of the same issues with this mobo, but nothing like I'm now experincing.

I have used this board for years now without any problems until now (around 6 years, before building a new system).
    It seems that now that I have made the computer this board is in my file server, it has started to freeze on me sometime after it sits idle. I have not done anything to it other than uninstall programs that I wouldn't be using on that PC anymore.
    I have not noticed any particular time frame when it freezes, as it has only just started to behave in this manor and I have only now started to research issues with this mobo.
    When I have used this system receintly (acutally sat down and used it), I have not had any reboot issues, and it seems to work fine for the time that I need to be on it, usually anywhere upto an hour.
    When it does freeze, the Hdd light is on as if the system is accessing the drive.

I had noticed that I can order a recap kit for these Asus boards, but I notice that in the pic of the kit, there seems to be more capicitors on that board than my board has.
    My board only has 5 tall caps under the CPU and what looks like 3 of the same type above the AGP slot. There are an assortment of smaller caps scattered around as well (see attached pics).

All capacitors appear in good condition and are not showing any signs of being blown or leaking any electrolite.

Any Ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: A7N8X-X Ver 2.0 -A02

Originally posted by Stray-Dog
    Hello;

I have looked around the forum here and have seen lots of the same issues with this mobo, but nothing like I'm now experincing.

I have used this board for years now without any problems until now (around 6 years, before building a new system).
    It seems that now that I have made the computer this board is in my file server, it has started to freeze on me sometime after it sits idle. I have not done anything to it other than uninstall programs that I wouldn't be using on that PC anymore.
    I have not noticed any particular time frame when it freezes, as it has only just started to behave in this manor and I have only now started to research issues with this mobo.
    When I have used this system receintly (acutally sat down and used it), I have not had any reboot issues, and it seems to work fine for the time that I need to be on it, usually anywhere upto an hour.
    When it does freeze, the Hdd light is on as if the system is accessing the drive.

I had noticed that I can order a recap kit for these Asus boards, but I notice that in the pic of the kit, there seems to be more capicitors on that board than my board has.
    My board only has 5 tall caps under the CPU and what looks like 3 of the same type above the AGP slot. There are an assortment of smaller caps scattered around as well (see attached pics).

All capacitors appear in good condition and are not showing any signs of being blown or leaking any electrolite.

Any Ideas?
    I've posted this before... I had the same problem with this motherboard and it turned out that it was not detecting the CPU properly and was treating a 2500+ as a 3200+. Check that your FSB settings are correct in the BIOS.

Also update the drivers. I'll have to get the links for you, but there are much more stable nForce2 drivers than nVidia provides. I have to look.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I made no attempt to mark every cap, just a few so you know what to look at.

Blue - Look like Rubycon and should be fine.

Red - Look like Nichicon HM series which were defective from 2001-2004.
      Date codes are like H0344
      '03' = year 2003 and '44' = week 44.
      Year codes 01, 02, 03, 04 were bad and should be replaced.
      Attached Files
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

PCBONEZ, I'm pretty sure that the red ones are OST RLS series. I recently re-capped a similar board (A7V600-X) and that's what the small caps were.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

those blingey gold fan grills on power supplies just scream "i am crap"
          i have also seen the cpu detection issue.your vrm input and output look like rubycons.which means they are unlikely to be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            those blingey gold fan grills on power supplies just scream "i am crap"
            your vrm input and output look like rubycons.
            I think that is a enermax, at least my brother's has it's bottom fan in the exact same spot and is that same gold color on gray steel.

I agree that they are rubycon's, OST has never used the K vent.

Comment

Hi,

Well it looks like I came to the right spot. Thanks for all your input.

As I have said before, I have used this mobo for years (since I built this system in 2003) without issue so my Bios FSB setting are correct and up to the latest BIOS ver. 1010. The processor is recognized correctly as a 2800+.

The tall caps are indeed rubycons c_hegge, blue with a tan color strip down the side.

Ok, just looking over the caps, and the rest are all OST with various ratings. The larger caps I can see that they are RLS
              Some are 1000μf (microfarad) 6.3 volt with date codes 0332 and 0334. these are black with a grey stripe down the side.
              Some others are black with a gold strip down the side, 16 v 100μf. I can't get a good look at the date code (must be these old eyes lol), but probably from around the same dates as the others, are these also going to be bad?
              Also there are smaller caps that are 2.5v 10μf, again, I can't get a good look at the date code, but probably from around the same dates as the others, are these also going to be bad?

There are no signs degredation or discoloration on any of the caps.

Total number of caps and ratings (all OST).
              13 - 6.3v 1000μf
              6 - 16v 100μf
              3 - 2.5v 10μf

Yes 370forlife, it is an Enermax PS. 430 watt.

For information sake, here is the system config.

Asus A7N8X-X mobo
              AMD XP2800+
              2x512 Crucial Ram @ PC2700
              2x 250 gig Hdds
              Asus A9550GE/TD 256meg video card
              ATI TV tuner
              SB audigy2 - 5.1 audio
              Enermax 430 watt PS

Win XP Pro SP3

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                PCBONEZ, I'm pretty sure that the red ones are OST RLS series. I recently re-capped a similar board (A7V600-X) and that's what the small caps were.
                You're probably right. Asus liked OST then.
                All I can see is white on black and the vent pattern.
                I see more Intel & Dell boards than Asus so HM was what came to mind first.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Stray-Dog
                  Hi,

Well it looks like I came to the right spot. Thanks for all your input.

As I have said before, I have used this mobo for years (since I built this system in 2003) without issue so my Bios FSB setting are correct and up to the latest BIOS ver. 1010. The processor is recognized correctly as a 2800+.

The tall caps are indeed rubycons c_hegge, blue with a tan color strip down the side.

Ok, just looking over the caps, and the rest are all OST with various ratings. The larger caps I can see that they are RLS
                  Some are 1000μf (microfarad) 6.3 volt with date codes 0332 and 0334. these are black with a grey stripe down the side.
                  Some others are black with a gold strip down the side, 16 v 100μf. I can't get a good look at the date code (must be these old eyes lol), but probably from around the same dates as the others, are these also going to be bad?
                  Also there are smaller caps that are 2.5v 10μf, again, I can't get a good look at the date code, but probably from around the same dates as the others, are these also going to be bad?

There are no signs degredation or discoloration on any of the caps.

Total number of caps and ratings (all OST).
                  13 - 6.3v 1000μf
                  6 - 16v 100μf
                  3 - 2.5v 10μf
                  OST will fail with no bloating.
                  - - Any brand -can- but OST seem to especially like that mode.

Date codes are only for Nichicon HN and HM series.
                  - - They made a mistake at the factory,,, for 4 years,,, OOPS!

Cap ... Ripple / ESR
                  RLS 6.3v 1000μf 8x12mm ... 600 / 0.080
                  RLS 6.3v 1000μf 8x14mm ... 630 / 0.070
                  RLS 6.3v 1000μf 10x13mm ... 940 / 0.070
                  RLS 16v 100μf ... 290 / 0.350
                  RLS 25v 10μf ... 180 / 1.100 [I'm assuming you meant 25v, not 2.5v]

*** If they aren't RLS those numbers can be A LOT different.
                  -
                  Panasonic FC are good enough for the small ones but for the 1000uF you will need the 10v 1000uF FC to get the ESR & Ripple good enough.
                  Nichicon HE or Chemicon KY are a slight upgrade all around but all of those sizes aren't covered.
                  Next better are Chemicon KZE, Rubycon ZL or ZLH, Nichicon HD.
                  Then Panasonic FM.
                  [FM would be a huge upgrade but often they're cheap.]
                  After that you are into Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Panasonic FL or FJ
                  - I only mentioned the most common ones.

You should also search the forum for Enermax.
                  Some Enermax had issues with the glue they used on the PCB becoming conductive and shorting out the IC's in the unit.
                  Photos of the problem were posted by kc8adu a couple years ago.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I'm going to have to pull the mobo to get a better look at things. will post back later.

Comment

You can probably use a dental mirror [from the dollar store] and a small flashlight to see most without pulling it out.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Ok, so I pulled the mobo and here's what's there.
                        It wasn't that hard, I am A+ certified

13 - 6.3v 1000μf RLP
                        2 - 6.3v 330μf GSC
                        5 - 16v100μf RMH
                        3 - 25v 10μf RSM

Quite a varity me thinks.
                        I even found one that I didn't notice before.

I did notice that one of the 16v 100μf RMH caps is discolored. It's the one that's closest to the CD1 onboard audio input. The text has turned from the golden color to a green tint. I never would have seen that if I didn't pull the board.

So, where do I go from here? Let me see.

I guess I need to order some caps.

I am not knowledge in this area and would appreciate some assistance.
                        Last edited by Stray-Dog; 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I noticed in a previous post mention of the cap sizes.
                          Here's what this boards caps are,

6.3v 1000μf RLP are 12mm tall by 8mm wide (13 req'd)
                          6.3v 330μf GSC are 8 mm tall by 6 mm wide (2 req'd)
                          16v100μf RMH are 8 mm tall by 6 mm wide (5 req'd)
                          25v 10μf RSM are 6 mm tall by 4 mm wide (3 req'd)

I don't know what the comaptability specs are for any other manufacturer.
                          I would rather go with a mid grade cap and pay a little extra than go with a bottom end cap and have issues later.
                          I hope this helps.

Comment

I have looked around the mix and match capacitor pages and have only found the rubycon caps to match one area of my needs, the 6.3V 1000μf 8x12mm.
                            Is there a difference between RLP and MBZ or is this just a manufacturing designation?

Well, searching around the net looking into capacitors leads me to believe that there is way to much out there that I don't know... ie like how much of a difference does the size dimentions make, I get the feeling that it makes a big difference...

Can anyone direct me to locating compatible caps?

Comment

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ripple / ESR
                              6.3v 1000μf OST - RLP 8mm . . . . . 700 / 0.078
                              6.3v 330μf GSC - ??? 6mm . . . . . . 340 / 0.022 . . [assuming LZ series]
                              16v100μf OST - RMH 6mm . . . . . . 105 / n/a . . [Is a GP cap.]
                              25v 10μf OST - RSM 4mm . . . . . . 23 / n/a . . [Is a GP cap.]

I usually buy at digikey and out of what they usually stock:

The RLP:
                              Panasonic FC in 1000uF 6.3v doesn't have an 8mm but the FC 1000uF 8x20mm would work and be an upgrade for Ripple/ESR.
                              Chemicon KY or Nichicon HE would be a better upgrade to the RLP.

The GSC is 'better' grade than FC. [If I guessed the series right.]
                              ... needs to at least be Chemicon KY or Nichicon HE [or better].

Since the others aren't even Low ESR and Nichicon VZ would be good enough [I checked the numbers] but any basic Low ESR cap would be a good upgrade choice and the price difference isn't much. LXZ, LXY, FC, PW - all good.

If you wanna buy somewhere else then just check the originals specs and keep:
                              Ripple the same - or more.
                              ESR the same - or less.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

RLP is made by OST out of Tiawan.
                                MBZ is made by Rubycon who is a top of the line Japanese cap manufacturer.

The series designation is like a model-line designation.
                                If OST is to Antec then:
                                OST RLP series is to Antec Earthwatts series
                                OST RMH series is to Antec Basiq series
                                OST RSM series is to Antec Neo series
                                [Or something like that.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

you said the board was fine till you moved it?i would still look at that power supply!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                    you said the board was fine till you moved it?i would still look at that power supply!

No, i don't recall saying this.

The board has always been good til about a week ago when it started to freeze up when the system would turn the display off.

I did open up the PSU and everything there looked good there. The only place that I did see any glue was on the copper coil wraps around what I assume is a ferrite ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ripple / ESR
                                      6.3v 1000μf OST - RLP 8mm . . . . . 700 / 0.078
                                      6.3v 330μf GSC - ??? 6mm . . . . . . 340 / 0.022 . . [assuming LZ series]
                                      16v100μf OST - RMH 6mm . . . . . . 105 / n/a . . [Is a GP cap.]
                                      25v 10μf OST - RSM 4mm . . . . . . 23 / n/a . . [Is a GP cap.]

I usually buy at digikey and out of what they usually stock:

The RLP:
                                      Panasonic FC in 1000uF 6.3v doesn't have an 8mm but the FC 1000uF 8x20mm would work and be an upgrade for Ripple/ESR.
                                      Chemicon KY or Nichicon HE would be a better upgrade to the RLP.

The GSC is 'better' grade than FC. [If I guessed the series right.]
                                      ... needs to at least be Chemicon KY or Nichicon HE [or better].

Since the others aren't even Low ESR and Nichicon VZ would be good enough [I checked the numbers] but any basic Low ESR cap would be a good upgrade choice and the price difference isn't much. LXZ, LXY, FC, PW - all good.

If you wanna buy somewhere else then just check the originals specs and keep:
                                      Ripple the same - or more.
                                      ESR the same - or less.

Regarding the 6.3v 330μf GSC - ??? 6mm . . . . . . 340 / 0.022 . . [assuming LZ series]

This looks like all the other OST caps, but there isn't the OST branding on it. In fact, there isn't any compnay brand on it.

Here's all the info on the sleeve.

GSC 105° T37C 330μf 6.3v

If it helps, these 2 caps are very close to the RAM slots.

All of the other caps are temp rated to 105°, I noticed in my searching that there are a varity of temp ratings and life hour ratings.

PCBONEZ, not to say that I know what I'm looking for if I were to go out to my local electroncs supply shop and order up what I need, I'm sure that I could with the information that you have provided, but I wouldn't have the confidence that I was actually getting what I needed. My very limited knowledge of capicitors is evident here and if you could put together a package for me, I would feel more comfortable with that.
                                      If you did do this for me, I would like the caps in the mid-grade and better quality.
                                      I could send payment by paypal if that works for you. Just PM your info to me and we can get settled up with my address and such.

Comment

GSC is not OST.

OST is a -BRAND-.
                                        GSC is a different BRAND.
                                        GSC os one of the worst there is in fact.
                                        GCS is SO bad they started changing their name.
                                        GCS = Evercon = Sacon [ and possibly = Capsun ].

GSC often don't mark the series on the caps so I went conservative and used their series with the best specs which is LZ.

Use 105°C caps.
                                        On some boards you might see 85°C as original but choose 105°C caps to replace those too.
                                        If low ESR caps of higher temp ratings exist they are rare, for some unusual application, and probably very expensive.

Your chance of finding low ESR caps at a general electronics store is between slim and none. If you make special orders the cost could easily be 5-10x what you should be paying.
                                        The larger ones you can buy here or you can go to Digikey, Mouser, Newark 1, or Farrell. [Probably a few others I'm not remembering right now.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X