Some caps bad, some caps good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some caps bad, some caps good?

Hey, everyone--I've got a few questions for you, hopefully you can help me out.

I got a bunch of free Pentium III motherboards that I can use, with, you guessed it--bad capacitors. However, I'm not too sure about the condition of all of the capacitors... it's odd. Some of them look bad, and some of them don't. I know that, as a precaution, if any cap looks bad, you ought to replace all of the capacitors of the same rating and voltage. So, I'm doing that, but there are capacitors of a different rating that look fine. That's where my problem comes in.

There are three types of capacitors on this board: 2200uF 10V, 1000uF 6.3V, and 100uF 16V. The only ones showing signs of damage seem to be the 1000uF 6.3V ones. They are the only ones that have bulging/leaking tops. Those capacitors are indiciated as red number 1's in the images below. I plan to replace those all, of course.

Now, since all of the capacitors are the original ones on the board, I'm wondering, do the 2200uF 10V (marked with blue number 2's on the image) and the 100uF 16V (yellow number 3's) capacitors need to be replaced, too? They don't seem to be showing any sign of damage.

However, the 2200uF 10V ones have got a thin layer of brown stuff on the side of them. It looks like dust, but you can't wipe it off with your finger. There is no bulging on these caps anywhere. I don't think it's the electrolytic fluid, though, because that's usually a much different shade of brown, and it only appears on the one side of the capacitors--the side next to the processor. That's what leads me to believe it's dust, because these motherboards were previously used, and so dust from the processor fan probably blew onto the caps next to the processor.

So, again, should I replace the 2200uF 10V and 100uF 16V capacitors as well, or just the 1000uF 10V ones?

Thanks for all of your help ahead of time.

-Steve

The 100uF caps will be OK. I would replace everything 1000uF and up... That will cure the bad caps issues with the boards.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Alright, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help.

-Steve

Comment

Well... I've got a few more questions, and I didn't want to create a whole new topic, so I hope you don't mind.

I've been working with the soldering iron, desoldering iron, and capacitors of a friend, and he's gone away for a bit, and I can't get ahold of him for a while... so I figure I'll just get my own stuff. I just need to know where's the best place to get a few things, and what kind I should get. I never paid much attention to exactly what kind my friend had, although I do know he had a grounded soldering iron and grounded vacuum-powered desoldering iron.

I'm guessing I can find something from RadioShack, but I'm not exactly sure what I should get that would be a nice balance between price and quality. What do you all suggest?

Also, I've checked out Digikey.com for replacement capacitors--the ones I need are 2200uf 10V and 1000uF 6.3V--but I have no clue which ones I should get.

If you search for "2200uf 10V" (and then click on Electrolytic) it will bring you to a search filter page. I know that the capacitors need to have a 105 degrees Celcius heat rating and they need to be radial, but I'm not sure about any of the special features, or the manufacturer, or anything like that. (I do need to buy about 100 of each kind, though, so a price-quality balance would be nice here too.)

Any suggestions for equipment and capacitors would be appreciated, and thanks again.

-Steve

Comment

What brand are the faulty capacitors?
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

they must be low esr
            look at panasonic fc

Comment

Working...
            X