Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P4T-E and heavy disk use

Hi all,
    I have an ASUS P4T-E and it's getting flaky. Some weeks the system runs fine. Other weeks, it will reboot or freeze by itself frequently. I have not run a full Diskeeper on my HDs for a while. If I do, it's a garanted reboot. It will never get through. Last month, for 2 straight days, I had to press the RESET button for the IDE devices to be properly detected. Each time it took like 5 tries just to get them to identify them on the boot up sequence. There was one day, the computer didn't wanna boot up period. Almost each day I have to press RESET at least once just to get the IDE devices to be properly detected. :x

At first, I thought it was the HDs that were giving the computer some trouble. Both Maxtors were swapped and work fine. I removed 2 DIMMs and let the system work on 256 Megs. Did the reverse for the 2 other DIMMs. I bought a new ANTEC power supply (350 watts) to replace the older Antec power supply (250 watts). Removed all unnecessarty peripherals. Problem still there. I am hopeless. About a week ago, I was reading some forum and people kept talking about how good the quality of the capacitors were on some XYZ mobo.

I opened my PC and took out the mobo. The capacitors seem fine. Some are a little tilted. But there doesn't look like there are some leaking or a puffy top. Is there anything I am overlooking?

I don't wanna replace my mobo and have to buy new memory. :|

Here are my system specs:
    P4 1.7GHz (Willamette)
    512 RDRAM (non-ECC, 4 DIMMs x128 Megs)
    ASUS P4T-E mobo with latest BIOS 1.007
    MSI GeForce 5200 with 128 Megs RAM.
    - Ronald

Welcome to the boards...

What you're describing is a tell-tale sign of bad capacitors. Asus used quite a few brands of caps, some known to fail. Look at your actual caps and post the brands. This info will help in diagnosing. I understand you not wanting to replace the board/RAM, for what you probably paid for the RDRAM.

Capacitors don't always leak and bulge when they go bad.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Here's the list of capacitors:
      Taicon
      green - 1500
      black/blue - 3300
      black/blue - 1500
      black/blue - 100
      black/gold - 1500

Sanyo
      green - 1000
      purple - 510

I am having difficulties getting pics of the mobo up.

I tried to switch the RIMMs again and see if some are bad but it does the same problem when running Sandra (instant reboot).

EDIT:
      1st
      2nd
      3rd
      - Ronald

Comment

Run Memtest86, because you possibly have a RAM problem and the capacitors possibly aren't faulty.

http://memtest86.com

BTW, were there any errors in the event log about a crash, a stop error?
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
          Run Memtest86, because you possibly have a RAM problem and the capacitors possibly aren't faulty.

http://memtest86.com

BTW, were there any errors in the event log about a crash, a stop error?
          It was my first stop (Memtest86).

A month ago, I got a bad transfer (corrupt data) from 1 HD to another HD.

I also have a known offender, TEAPO caps on my board. But they're small and not very numerous. Could this be the culprit?
          - Ronald

Comment

try a cable from a known working box.
            the 80 wire ide cables are fragile and i see plenty that have been damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              try a cable from a known working box.
              the 80 wire ide cables are fragile and i see plenty that have been damaged.
              Already changed them from normal IDE cable to rounded IDE cable. And the system is unstable on both cables.
              - Ronald

Comment

When the PC reboots on you, after reloading Windows, do you get any entries in the event log that at least looks similar to:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xf0006a70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                  When the PC reboots on you, after reloading Windows, do you get any entries in the event log that at least looks similar to:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xf0006a70, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
                  I get a window that says that Windows encountered a serious error. :|
                  - Ronald

Comment

That means you got a BSOD, a stop error. To make Windows XP display a BSOD, do the following:

Go to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery, click Settings, then uncheck "Automatically restart".

Then, you probably will see a BSOD, next time Windows XP crashes instead of a spontaneous reboot.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Thank you for the BSOD tip.

There was a problem with the IdeChnDr.sys file which comes from Intel's IAA drivers. Did a quick google and the first suggestion was check the HDs for bad clusters.

We'll the culprit was bad clusters. -_- :oops:

I ran the Maxtor utility, on both HDs, and it fixed all those bad clusters.

And then I tried to run a Defrag and it went all the way to the end!!! :P

Then I also did a full av scan and it went well too. No more reboots.

And I discovered another thing: the PC components are overheating inside my PC case from lack of airflow. Since I opened my case, no more missing ATAPI/IDE drives on bootup.

ScreenShot 1
                      ScreenShot 2
                      ScreenShot 3

EDIT: Under heavy disk usage last night, there was some beeping from the PC. The mouse was locked and PC was locked up. I waited aboot a min and the PC became responsivea again. Anything I should be worried aboot?
                      - Ronald

Comment

Working...
                      X