Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monoprice-113860 Maker Select 3D Printer v2 Troubleshooting

All,
    I have a Monoprice-113860 Maker Select 3D Printer v2 that was gave to me by my younger sister.

She had it for some time and has done a series of upgrades to it including the latest the MOSFET Upgrade. She has 4 - 3d Printers - and evidently this was her first one (read lesser here) and she is looking at another and she needed the room...this is my first 3D printer.

I should also add this thing was basically piled up in a box and the power brick assembly was not all screwed together. So its was a basket case that worked before the move.

Anyways upon setting it up at my place I basically now have a nice paper weight. Sister says its probably a loose wire but I have very little understanding of this electronic device.

I have no screen (blue) at all (no light) on the power brick/assembly. So no error codes or anything. I have power at the power supply. I will try and get values in the morning. (This has been on my printer desk for a while)

I am wondering if the MOSFET upgrade went bad or its a loose wire. So I am needing some guidance on how this thing works. Or possibly some images of the brick assembly internally to confirm things.

From my reading of the manual it gives me the impression that the "printing assembly" is a few servo motors that are controlled from the power brick assembly. My guess is its all handled by the control board and the MOSFET Assembly. So I believe the printer assembly would not affect the power brick screen in anyway.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Chris
    Last edited by SolomonMan; 12-04-2020, 09:05 AM.

Re: Monoprice-113860 Maker Select 3D Printer v2 Troubleshooting

All,
    I am going to try and get some images of the situation and get them on the forum soon.

Also I would like to draw (loose schematic) the wiring of this appliance as I believe it would give me a much better idea on how things work.

Unfortunately the wires appear to be all black or black/white but connectors are color coordinated.

I will try and get some voltage readings as well.

Please stay tuned,
    Chris

Comment

There's nothing magical about 3d printers, they're not much far off from what an old dot matrix or daisy wheel printer is like.

Unless it's something egregious like a obvious short or open, or bad PSU, it'll be tough to fix as you'll need to carefully scrutinize every component and part. Stuff should show up on the display when powered up, regardless if the motors or end travel switches are connected. You probably will end up needing to replace the board, though most of these 3d printers are very similar and should be easy to swap with another of a different make.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        There's nothing magical about 3d printers, they're not much far off from what an old dot matrix or daisy wheel printer is like.

Unless it's something egregious like a obvious short or open, or bad PSU, it'll be tough to fix as you'll need to carefully scrutinize every component and part. Stuff should show up on the display when powered up, regardless if the motors or end travel switches are connected. You probably will end up needing to replace the board, though most of these 3d printers are very similar and should be easy to swap with another of a different make.
        eccerr0r,
        That is kind of what I thought as I started to "break" the unit down in my diagram.

I think I need to test basically the Voltages on the supply again. Then the screen connection to see if its the board or the screen.

Hopefully not both as its honestly half the cost for the unit.

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

All,
          I got on this over the weekend and it is now running again;

Basically it appears that some glue gun material got on the screen cabling at the connection just right to allow it not to make connection. Also the switch on the screen appeared to be flipped to the wrong point.

All I ended up doing was remove the cable, clean the glue gun material off the board. It actually got between the pins (how I am not sure). I reseated the cables again. Flipped the switch. Unplugged to remove all power from the unit. Plugged it back in and the screen powered back on.

I do see a couple things I do not like on my sisters work. Please note my sister claims she did not do the glue gun mess. I am going to lengthen the cables on the MOSFET Board slightly (3 more inches - new cable correct length) and I am going to hook up the extra 12 volt small fan thats installed but not powered. This will allow maximum cooling in the case. I am also going to install the board correctly (screw it down) and then screw everything back together properly (close it up).

I did successfully print a small figurine for the kids which proves to me it works.

I have included the pics and will make the run to the local Home Depot tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help,
          Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

A melzi board, you don't see those too much anymore... Having a mosfet for the bed heater is always a good idea.

There's a lot of support for these monoprice printers, if you are facebook the groups are huge. Monoprice has sold a ton of these printers. Also, they are also generally lightly modified rebadges of chinese company printers. You should find out which the maker select is.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
              A melzi board, you don't see those too much anymore... Having a mosfet for the bed heater is always a good idea.

There's a lot of support for these monoprice printers, if you are facebook the groups are huge. Monoprice has sold a ton of these printers. Also, they are also generally lightly modified rebadges of chinese company printers. You should find out which the maker select is.

They are rebadged wanhao I3's

Comment

Working...
              X