Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nichicon HM/HN/HZ scheduled for discontinuation

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    I used a solder sucker/solder pump on mine and it worked just fine. Braid is not cheap so I try not to use it when the situation allows.
    If you buy it in quanities 50ft+ it's not too bad. I get mine for $20/50ft, or $.40/ft. Each LCD uses up maybe 8" on a bad day... so $0.27 per board. For me, it's well worth it.

I have never had good luck with solder suckers other than for reducing the volume of solder on large joints. Even then, 4 out of 5 times I have to finish the joint with some braid. I wouldn't use a sucker on LCD transformer/transisitor joints anyway; that's a good way to kill the pads/traces.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    I do that all the time (wiggle it out by heating 2 pins at a time). No pliers either! Just gotta have your iron real hot so you can be real quick - that way you don't get burned. If you add some flux to joints, it can be even quicker.
    I do have to admit that I can tolerate a lot of heat on my fingers, though (I regularly clean the nozzle of my hot glue gun with my fingers). For those that can't, a piece of cloth or a pair of thin gloves would do. I have a piece of cloth on my bench when I need to remove components with all-metal cases - those do burn me eventually.
    I accidentally did that once and burnt my self in a bad way. If you can do what you say you're doing, I'd bet that your iron isn't delivering enough heat.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If you buy it in quanities 50ft+ it's not too bad. I get mine for $20/50ft, or $.40/ft. Each LCD uses up maybe 8" on a bad day... so $0.27 per board. For me, it's well worth it.
      I don't want to invest in a large spool because I use the 0.5~mm for logic boards and tight spaces and the wider stuff for regular applications. So I'd have to buy two spools. The 5ft spools keep me going for a few months. You should also keep in mind that when you buy the smaller diameter stuff, the price should be less because you're getting less copper.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        I don't want to invest in a large spool because I use the 0.5~mm for logic boards and tight spaces and the wider stuff for regular applications. So I'd have to buy two spools. The 5ft spools keep me going for a few months. You should also keep in mind that when you buy the smaller diameter stuff, the price should be less because you're getting less copper.
        Yeah, smaller diameters are cheaper... what I like to use is 0.075". It seems to be a good general purpose braid size...

My current (and the previous) braid was this:

http://www.frys.com/product/4462116?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

(and yes, it is pre-fluxed)

One thing I have noticed is that the stuff that comes in the tinier things (like they have at radio shack) is a much crappier braid than what comes in the more traditional spools (like what I linked). It seems to be a much looser and less effective braid (often w/o flux) from my experience. The only brand where the braid type was constant was the MG chemicals brand above (their stuff isn't half bad; I am pretty fond of their 63/37 solder).

I wonder if one could get better pricing through digikey or the like... I may try that when my current braid runs out.
        sigpic

Comment

.05 is essential for for clearing motherboard cap holes. .075 sinks away too much heat... I'd like to get my hands on some .035 and see if that is an improvement even over .050. Digikey is expensive for the 5ft spools. I don't know what kind of stock Radio Shack has but every brand I have tried has worked extremely well. I could get 5ft spools from China for less than $2, but they only have them in wide diameters and who knows what the quality is like.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

radioshack braid is unfluxed garbage. Complete ripoff.

.75 works well for me... no heat loss issues... then again, I have a 60W iron.
            sigpic

Comment

So do I. I guess you have a fancypants iron with the expensive tips. The $6 one I got from China (Which works fantastically) has a relatively blunt tip (Thing is very durable though, I don't think I'll ever have to change it).

Comment

So do I. I guess you have a fancypants iron with the expensive tips. The $6 one I got from China (Which works fantastically) has a relatively blunt tip (Thing is very durable though, I don't think I'll ever have to change it).
                Mine is a Weller W60-P that I inherited from an Estate (Long story). The tips weren't too bad ($4.70 a pop from newark). The iron't temp is regulated by a magnet (curie point) at the end of the tip. My two tip sizes are:

1.57mm Chisel- it runs at 700C

3.18mm Chisel- it runs at 800C

I haven't had the iron that long (I've had it 10 months but usable for only 4) but it so far the tips have been been doing great, other than the usual color changes to the tip's non-soldered body there have been no signs of wear.

Both tips can do the braid OK, the larger and hotter one running a lot better for obvious reasons.
                sigpic

Comment

The only thing I don't like about desoldering braid is that sometimes the braid lets go from the solder all of a sudden, and it flings hot solder in the air.

Always wear glasses/safety-glasses when soldering! Its a MUST!
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

^
                    I've never worn glasses when soldering.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      ^
                      I've never worn glasses when soldering.
                      pft, Iv'e slopped solder all over myself countless times (have a few scars from that too xD)!

Actually, I just realized that it's been months since I last burned myself on the soldering iron, getting better at it!
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        Yeah, smaller diameters are cheaper... what I like to use is 0.075". It seems to be a good general purpose braid size...

My current (and the previous) braid was this:

http://www.frys.com/product/4462116?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

(and yes, it is pre-fluxed)
                        Ratdude,
                        Can I ask why it's advised to use such an eensy weensy braid size, as opposed to the bigger stuff?

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        One thing I have noticed is that the stuff that comes in the tinier things (like they have at radio shack) is a much crappier braid than what comes in the more traditional spools (like what I linked). It seems to be a much looser and less effective braid (often w/o flux) from my experience.
                        Yeah, I stupidly bought the RatShack stuff, it was all I could get my hands on here. It left a bit to be desired, but really I think more than anything it was my iron. It definitely pulled up solder. But I wouldn't say so much that it "wicked" it. Not that I'm singing its praises or anything, but it does look pretty tightly packed, then again I have nothing to compare it to. I know I had to crunch it and spread it pretty good, like Chinese finger cuffs, to get it to spread out. Seemed to work better that way, although I have now learned it seems you aren't supposed to do that. OOPS!

The RatShack stuff was 8.5MM in width, which is just shy of 5x wider than what you use.
                        Being not much larger than most recommended solder sizes. Maybe 2x as wide.
                        Wouldn't you just go through the smaller stuff 5x faster, more feeding, more cutting, more frustration?
                        Please do tell, I desire to learn.

I have tried finding a video and searching the forums, but not much luck.
                        How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Can I ask why it's advised to use such an eensy weensy braid size, as opposed to the bigger stuff?
                          When you're trying to wick lead free solder from a small circumference , narrow wick is a must. I can get away with 0.075" wick in a pinch, but it's much easier with 0.050". This is of course the case with modern motherboards.

If you have no wick, then you can leave what's left of the old solder in and rock the cap in while holding the iron to the pad from the other side of the board, but it's much easier if the holes are already clear and you just plop in the replacement cap and solder it in (eventhough this takes more time), and there is also much less risk of ripping off the bottom part of the pad this way.

Comment

When you're trying to wick lead free solder from a small circumference , narrow wick is a must. I can get away with 0.075" wick in a pinch, but it's much easier with 0.050". This is of course the case with modern motherboards.
                            Thanks for the answer. That makes total sense now, thanks.

I take it you're kinda shoving it into the molten solder down into the hole instead of on the top of the hole, flat against the board. Yeah?
                            Any 'ol brand of wick good so long as it's a major brand and is empregnated /w flux. Or is one brand/type better than another?
                            How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

wait, I am in Tokyo Akiba now and a large electronic store is selling nichicon HZ with datecode 1606

Comment

the build quality, specs and size as well as the store appear to be very genuine.

Comment

See these pictures
                                  Attached Files

Comment

they're fake unless there was some small specialty run made of them. where did you get them, and lets see the bungs.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

http://imgur.com/CFDHG9H
                                      http://imgur.com/zRSXUMs

Hope the resolution is high enough

Comment

They were found in Tokyo, Japan

https://goo.gl/maps/euVxBfSghBK2

Comment

they appear authentic, but the fakes are getting good these days. Considering Nichicon discontinued these years ago, finding them with current datecodes on them, I'd be very skeptical of their legitimacy if I wasn't getting them directly from nichicon or a very trust-worthy vendor.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                          Team : 49813
                                          Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X