Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead ECS laptop with bad caps

Hy
    I have a laptop motherboard that doesn't boot, no post, no fans, no lights and 8x1500uf/6,3v bad caps on it
    The questions are: Could the caps be the only problem? Is it worth trying to replace them and see if the laptop boots up? Anyone with experience that might have seen this before?
    Thanks

Re: Dead ECS laptop with bad caps

for the price of the 8 caps it worth a try! an yes it could be the only reason the board dont boot.

Comment

Electrolytic caps on a laptop motherboard!? Can you post a picture?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
        Knowing ECS, that's entirely possible.

Yes, a pic would be nice, so we can ID the caps and suggest appropriate replacements. You can't just use any old 1500uF cap
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Picture (sorry about the bad resolution)
          Attached Files

Comment

need a better pic.

Comment

Wow, I like the layout of that mobo

Have you checked all power rails for shorts too?
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

ECS

Looks like they are either OST or El-cheapo Teapo

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  ECS

Looks like they are either OST or El-cheapo Teapo
                  Hey! my ECS has Rubycons, so stop dissing them :P

Comment

^
                    Never seen Ruby on an ECS board before. They usually use either TK or OST.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      ^
                      Never seen Ruby on an ECS board before. They usually use either TK or OST.
                      None nope. It's mostly Rubycon and solid polymer caps.

Comment

looks like one of those desktop replacement type laptops.replace the caps and its probably ok.post values/series and someone here can further advise.
                        i remember a run of alienware laptops with bad caps.they were similar to yours except they were painted metallic radioactive puke green.

Comment

Sorry to be so late... busy with life...
                          I managed to get some caps (2 or 3 mm bigger than the original) and exchanged the culprits (8x1500uF/6,3v). Took me two hours after midnight to work on the motherboard too.. the new caps needed some convincing
                          The result : we have a back to life laptop with some bumps (4 caps kinda wanna get out through the case)
                          Thanx for the input

Comment

Nice job!

What brand and series did you use to replace them?

Comment

Have one of these with the same bad caps as posted in the pic above.They are all teapo.Have 9 470uf 25v. ,8 1500uf 6.3v 1 120uf 35v. . I tried to get so pics but couldnt get any thing clear.There 10mm dia. and about13mm tall

Comment

update,looks like the 1500uf,s are SZ 105,s and the 470uf,s and the 120uf are SC105,s .

Comment

Working...
                                X