Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus M2A-VM no display ?

Guys,

I got Asus M2A-VM....CPU fan is spinning ok, but no display or beep ?
    Is it possible that the firmware is corrupted ?

THanks

Re: Asus M2A-VM no display ?

blown southbridge?

what are you powering this with?
    did +5vsb ever "run away?"
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
      I got Asus M2A-VM....CPU fan is spinning ok, but no display or beep ?
      Is it possible that the firmware is corrupted ?
      You keep asking this question. But we can't really answer that when you don't post more information about the motherboards and your testing setup.

How about tell us:
      - Where you got the motherboard and do you know anything about its history? ... like, did it come out of a computer with a bad power supply? Was it yours or someone else's? If yes, did you get it in non-working condition?
      - What power supply, RAM, CPU, and video card (if applicable) are you using to test this motherboard?
      - CMOS battery okay? (i.e. reads close to 3 Volts?) Tried reseting CMOS?
      - Does the motherboard look okay? Any deep scratches on the back or front? Any bad cap brands? (even if none look bad.)

The more information you give is, the more likely we can help you narrow down the problem. That said, I will give you an answer to the question you asked above: YES, the "firmware" / BIOS *may* be corrupted. But it also might NOT be. It's pointless for us to even attempt to answer that, though, when we don't know anything about the motherboard.

The issue you are having (motherboard turns ON with fans spinning, but NO display) is an extremely generic failure mode and can be caused by so many different things. You gotta narrow it down before deciding it must be the BIOS gone bad or something like that.

Also, from what I remember from your other thread, you were using a Deer/L&C/Allied or some similar PSU (please correct me if I a wrong here). If that is still the case, you need to either get a better PSU or make sure that one is recapped with good Japanese caps and has all of the proper filtering parts both on input and output side (especially the "PI" coils/inductors on the output). If it doesn't, don't bother recapping that PSU or using it for that matter.
      Last edited by momaka; 08-23-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

It's running already, thanks guys

Comment

It's running already, thanks guys
          How?

Comment

Sorry, I've forgotten already how I fixed it...few weeks ago..

Comment

Sorry, I've forgotten already how I fixed it...few weeks ago..
              @bianchi77, do you remember what it was? I got the same motherboard and the same issue

Comment

I had similar problem with some Samsung branded pc ( this was some time ago and I don't remember the exact motherboard model, just that it was a Foxconn one). The condition of the pc was as soon as I plugged the pc into power mains both cpu and chassis fans would start but no display or beep whatsoever. I tried few things, even flashed the bios but no avail, so I gave up and after few months I found a similar dead motherboard from a friend of mine and I decided to use it as a reference for repair the first motherboard. After measuring motherboard's atx power connector's PS_ON pin (which is the pin that green wire goes to) to the ground using multimeter's "beep mode" I found that voltage drop across them so much off (some few ohms, so it was basically shorted to ground) compared to the reference motherboard and after tracing PS_ON pin I found out that It goes directly to the I/O chip and guessed it might be bad.Replaced it with the reference motherboard's I/O chip (same number ITE chip) and voila, the first motherboard came back to life . Conclusion: because the PS-ON signal pin had been shorted to ground, the bad I/O chip turned the atx psu powering on despite being dead, causing the Cpu and Chassis fans to spin (even the V_core voltage was there at the cpu).

Comment

Working...
                X