Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Input on Nichicon PL(M)

Hello!

So, i was just opening up an older Logic analyzer, and discovered that its build with above mentioned caps..

I had MUCH problem with PF(M) caps before. Are these as bad or should i let them be?

Re: Input on Nichicon PL(M)

First, that is the Nichicon PL series. The "(M)" means +/-20% tolerance. IIRC, Nichicon introduced the PL series around 1988 or 1989. So if those are 20 or 25 years old, it might be a good idea to replace them anyway. I'll leave to others to say whether they've seen relatively early failures with the PL series, as I wasn't working hands on with electrolytic capacitor very much about 1991-2005. Nichicon's PM series is the RoHS version of the PL series. If you replace the PL series capacitors I recommend using PM series or PJ series parts, assuming they are available.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by crosswinds View Post
      Hello!

So, i was just opening up an older Logic analyzer, and discovered that its build with above mentioned caps..

I had MUCH problem with PF(M) caps before. Are these as bad or should i let them be?
      If I'm not mistaken, the PL series is the one that the electrolyte eats the rubber bung away and leaks it out on the circuit board. I have some that are still on the tape, they haven't leaked but I can't say they won't leak either.

My recommendation is the following:

Panasonic FC
      Rubycon ZLS
      Suncon (Sanyo) WE-WG series, these are what Sanyo WG's were, they are still being made, but by the OEM now.
      Nichicon UPM or UHE
      Elna RVD

Any one of those should work for a PSU.
      Popcorn.

Comment

This is for a Tektronix TLA704 logic analyzer, and its not for the PSU.
        It is for the acquisition-modules.

They have:
        x15 35v 150uF Nichicon PL(M) (Safe to replace with Panasonic FR?
        x7 16v 470uf Nichicon PY(M) (Safe to replace with Panasonic FC?)
        Last edited by crosswinds; 08-12-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I don't see a PY series on Nichicon's present online catalog. If Panasonic is what is reasonably available to you, go with the FC series for the PL and PY series capacitors. It's about two generations newer and lower in impedance than PL. FR is a different electrolyte technology, of a type that might not have been in use when that logic analyzer was produced. It's much lower impedance, which is not automatically a good thing. Panasonic FC (and the nearly identical impedance PW from Nichicon and LXZ from Nippon Chemicon) is about as modern and low in impedance as I would go.

On the side, Nichicon PM, PS, PJ, and PW series are of a different electrolyte technology than the HE series. About the only P* type I would consider interchangeable as output capacitors with the HE series without risking stability issues is the PA series.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            I don't see a PY series on Nichicon's present online catalog.
            It says:

"Smaller case size than PF Series"
            "Lower impedance at high frequency range"
            Attached Files
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I recently confirmed that the PL series leaks electrolyte from the seal. I could not find conclusive evidence online, but discovered this when repairing an engine control unit. The date on the capacitor is the 15th week of 1994. It is not leaking too bad, at least so far. If you look closely at the photo you can see the electrolyte on the bottom seal.
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps and thanks for the information!
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                X