See picture.
    Attached Files
    Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Re: Whats this?

the metal can?
    likely some sort of polymer cap.

Comment

very interesting. its a Fujitsu FPCAP ML series. Can find much info at all. Fujitsu say that low esr and esl enable the number of devices previously required to be reduced by 90%. reliability is 1000 hours at 85% humidity and 85oC.

so basically its a super low esr cap which replaces need for many caps.

is that from the Asus Rampage II Extreme?
      what a sexy board that is.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

yes, i also wanted to say that it looks fuckin' neat.

Comment

It's on the Asus Rampage Extreme. I wouldn't mind desoldering that for my old PC Chip's Athlon board.

link
          link
          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

whats that though? they put one on the back too? wonder how many noobs knock that off by mistake
            Attached Files
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Looks good for space saving
              If the backside can be used for caps, why not...

Can imagine we will start seeing those on the backside of Mini ITX boards to save space in the future...
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Love to see someone get a temperature reading from that.
                It's very cool that you can now heat sink a big cap.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                  Looks good for space saving
                  If the backside can be used for caps, why not...

Can imagine we will start seeing those on the backside of Mini ITX boards to save space in the future...
                  I don't really like the idea of caps or transistors etc. on the underside of motherboards.... I'm not a noob but I always have a habit of knocking them off and damaging them in some way or another.

Also another reason why I still to Intel chipset motherboards as I've notice something strange through the years.... Intel chipset based boards don't have MLCCs or caps on the underside of the chipset but VIA, SiS, nVidia etc. have components on the underside of the chipset.
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

On some older and junk boards yes, but these days with C2D and powerful Athlons X2's they do have SMD devices on back of the motherboards. That's proper design from need to have bypass capacitors extremely CLOSE to the chipsets to filter out noise.

Learn to handle boards carefully, please.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                      On some older and junk boards yes, but these days with C2D and powerful Athlons X2's they do have SMD devices on back of the motherboards. That's proper design from need to have bypass capacitors extremely CLOSE to the chipsets to filter out noise.

Learn to handle boards carefully, please.

Cheers, Wizard
                      ditto on the above.
                      get used to mlcc under the chip in an effort to get them as close as possible to the core.thats also why there are mlcc on and under the cpu.

Comment

It looks almost like a oscillator they use to have on old AT boards. I think then they were used for the cpu frequency somehow, all i know is that if you had a 50mhz oscillator (such as on my DSI 386 computer) that meant you could use up to a 25mhz processor. 66mhz oscillator=33mhz, etc...

Of coarse, if it was a oscillator, it would have a frequency rating printed on it.

Comment

I agree. If it didn't have uF written you'd just dismiss it as one of those other non interest parts.

Nice to see so much space saved. Usually high performance caps are pretty big, atleast I've had trouble replacing some, most recently I've been replacing 25v 1000uF caps with equivalent high quality ones, but they're significantly taller, and therefore potential for unforeseen problems to occur. Particularly when putting things back together. Sometimes I just think maybe I'll pile up a few high uF MLCC their instead.
                          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
                          X