PlayStation 4 shuts off immediately after hdmi port repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayStation 4 shuts off immediately after hdmi port repair

About to pull my hair out, picked up a PS4 with a botched hdmi repair. It would boot up fine to the solid white led. I removed the mess the previous “shop” made and installed a new hdmi port. Tested all the pins for continuity. I put it back together and now it beeps, turns blue, shuts off after about a second. The only info I can find is about sticking washers under the Heatsink bracket to temp fix an APU that needs a reball. I don't see how me taking it apart and repairing the hdmi port suddenly caused the apu solder to crack. The power supply testes fine and I also cleaned the apu and applied fresh arctic silver thermal compound.
    I'm clueless as to where to go next.

Re: PlayStation 4 shuts off immediately after hdmi port repair

maybe a solder bridge on the hdmi pins have you got a microscope you can have a close look with

Comment

install the screws for the fan and all cables connections
      Last edited by ecking767; 10-07-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I have a magnifying glass and good lighting. I soldered some sewing needles to the test leads on my fluke dmm so I could get in and probe each pin easily: I’ve doublechecked and each pin has continuity with the board and have also probed adjacent pins to make sure there are no bridges.

Also from what I’ve read a problem with the hdmi port and chip wouldn’t keep it from booting up? Ifhat were the case it wouldn’t have booted up from the beginning because whoever worked on it before had 90% of the pins shorted together.

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
        maybe a solder bridge on the hdmi pins have you got a microscope you can have a close look with
        Last edited by curt2199; 10-07-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I don’t follow. There are no screws for the cables and fans.

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
          install the screws for the fan and all cables connections

Comment

the 2 long screws for the fan and the CD-ROM cable.install and connect it

Comment

There are two long screws that go through the power supply to the case but I don't see any screws to secure cables or fan? Are we both talking about a PlayStation 4?

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
              the 2 long screws for the fan and the CD-ROM cable.install and connect it

Comment

I did the same repair on a PS4 with a bad HDMI port and poor soldering by the owner. replace the HDMI Ports confirm there was no solder bridge between each pins of the HDMI connector and install the main board into the case. Made all necessary cable connection.

unit wouldn't power on white light, the only hardware was missing was the metal bracket and I didn't install the two screw, see picture

once install the unit power on fine with a picture
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by curt2199 View Post
                  About to pull my hair out, picked up a PS4 with a botched hdmi repair. It would boot up fine to the solid white led. I removed the mess the previous “shop” made and installed a new hdmi port. Tested all the pins for continuity. I put it back together and now it beeps, turns blue, shuts off after about a second. The only info I can find is about sticking washers under the Heatsink bracket to temp fix an APU that needs a reball. I don't see how me taking it apart and repairing the hdmi port suddenly caused the apu solder to crack. The power supply testes fine and I also cleaned the apu and applied fresh arctic silver thermal compound.
                  I'm clueless as to where to go next.
                  The reball problem is so common with the PS line of consoles it pisses me off. I got a 10$ PS3 from a garage sale, exact same problem. Why in the fuck do they make the cooling so shit? There are tons of other companies online that will sell new coolers that work better and prevent that shit from happening. What the fuck, Sony.
                  Popcorn.

Comment

ps3 reball is a scam, the heat from reballing is fixing a different problem.
                    the problem is special caps that short out - same as some toshiba laptops.
                    that and the thermal paste under the cpu cap against the silicon die fails.(fast fan issue)

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtf...eEY_vq_UOL4PDQ

There are some decent PS4 repair videos on this guys channel, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                        Why in the fuck do they make the cooling so shit? There are tons of other companies online that will sell new coolers that work better and prevent that shit from happening. What the fuck, Sony.
                        Sounds just like Intel push-pin heatsinks! And IIRC, Radeons, back in the pre-AMD Radeon era...
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Just finished a repair like yours, my first actually. After putting new HDMI port had the same issue as before fixing being the immediate powering off. I also put some big washers on the screws and voila. Led light stays on and white but NO picture coming from HDMI, pity... Try the washers to boot.

Comment

I actually tried that with no luck. I've had terrible luck with repairing PS4 hdmi. Last one I didn't notice but had a tiny solder bit bridge the last two edge pins and powered on to smoke and dead ps4. Even with my microscope I missed the solder. I have 3 systems sitting on the shelf now. Lucky they were dirt cheap.

Comment

Working...
                            X