Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Other Devices with Bad Capacitors
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #61
Fast Alpha

City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: PNY Geforce Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI only

Maplins is closing down, they sold shit solder anyway.

I tried using kitchen foil on the leads and now some lead free sodler is stuck to the board, a blob of it that I cannot get off there, I tried using some CHEMTRONICS Desoldering Braid, Soder-Wick®, No-Clean, #3 Green, Static Dissipative Bobbin.

That just stuck to the board and did not do anything.
Then the solder tip went a black colour.

The solder just goes like a rock after using the 350 temp on it. It won't melt onto the braid.

Last edited by Fast Alpha; 04-08-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Fast Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #62
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech

350 is too low. Turn it up.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #63
Fast Alpha

City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

What can I use to cut away the solder when it is heated from the board?

I got one stick of another capacitor out, then this happened.
Do you shop at hobbycraft, do they sell something like a stainless steel spade type tool.
Fast Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #64
ChaosLegionnaire
HC Overclocker

City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

well, i checked a home improvement hardware store near me and they have two brands of lubricating oil spray. mr mckenic 9 in 1 technology oil spray and selleys rp7 also a lubricating oil spray. both of them use the same type of oil: hydrocarbon oil and they both say they can be used for gears and stuck mechanisms. is that the same type of oil used in gear transmission oil or engine oil? is that suitable for sleeve bearing fan use? thanks. sry for hijacking the topic lol
ChaosLegionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #65
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Alpha View Post
What can I use to cut away the solder when it is heated from the board?
???
Why do you want to cut solder? Just heat it up and move it away. If it's in a hole, use a needle to poke it out. Just use a bigger iron and you will be done with this already. 60 Watts or more if it's a regular unregulated wall-type iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
350 is too low. Turn it up.
350 is absolutely fine if you have a decent iron. That means NOT 900M tips.
I know I am repeating myself, but again: T12/T15 chisel/bevel tip and 50 Watts or more of power will desolder anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
well, i checked a home improvement hardware store near me and they have two brands of lubricating oil spray. mr mckenic 9 in 1 technology oil spray and selleys rp7 also a lubricating oil spray. both of them use the same type of oil: hydrocarbon oil and they both say they can be used for gears and stuck mechanisms.
Those two sound an awful lot like ubiquitous WD-40 we have here. Not that there's anything awful about that. It's just that WD-40 isn't exactly a long-term lubricant as it's usually very light. It's mostly used to free up stuck/rusted/corroded mechanisms. That said, it CAN be used for general lubrication, but the oil from these lubricant's typically runs away / dries faster, so you may not get a long-lasting repair. Thus, using the right lubricant for the right application is better.

On that note, small gears and moving mechanisms found in PC hardware typically use lithium grease (i.e. metal-to-metal and/or metal-to-plastic). But for high-speed rotating shafts, oil is better. Most greases tend to become watery and run away (especially general purpose silicone greases). Lithium grease is a little better in that respect, but it's also very "sticky". Some fans simply won't turn right if you use it on them.

Likewise, there are different "thicknesses" with oils. IIRC, machine oil is just a tad bit "thicker" than WD-40 (and doesn't contain cleaning / dispersing agents), engine oil thicker than machine oil, and transmission oil is even thicker than that.

Quote:
is that the same type of oil used in gear transmission oil or engine oil?
I don't think so.

Quote:
is that suitable for sleeve bearing fan use?
Sort of. If you have a fan that is really stuck and can't turn, you can use these spray lubricants to get it unstuck. But for a long-term repair machine oil, engine oil, or transmission oil should be better.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #66
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech

From experience momaka with the exact iron and a k tip 350 to remove caps from a thick motherboard it struggles. 400 at least.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #67
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diif View Post
From experience momaka with the exact iron and a k tip 350 to remove caps from a thick motherboard it struggles. 400 at least.
Hmmm, would that be the one mentioned in post #23?
If so, that's a bit disappointing, as this is supposed to be a 75W iron/station. Maybe it's a case of the "Chinese" Watts again, lol. Or more likely, I suspect the K-tip is just not that good for this job. I have one and rarely use it for anything (I bet that's why it comes free with most irons). With the T12-D52 and my station rated for same output power (75W), I have no problems desoldering lead-free at 350C on any motherboard. Even 320-330C is possible with a bit more patience and flux.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote