Raspberry Pi 3: a heatsink on the SOC is recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi 3: a heatsink on the SOC is recommended

On a Raspberry Pi 3, I got an overtemperature warning despite not being overclocked during a long compile operation, so I used a stick-on heatsink over the Broadcom SOC and I did not have this problem anymore.
    Still wondering why it isn't sold with a heatsink...
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3: a heatsink on the SOC is recommended

Planned Obsolescence :-(

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      Planned Obsolescence :-(
      No, it's to keep the cost down, and these are for hackers, same reason they are sold without a case. It's not hard to put a heatsink on. Also no support calls about "my heatsink fell off"

Comment

It's not sold with one because the height can interfere with "hats", the daughter boards you can install in the wide IO connector.

For most cases, the cpu isn't running at 100% for long periods of time, so it's a reasonable compromise... and adding a heatsink isn't hard.

Yeah, they could have included a tiny heatsink with double sided adhesive tape in the box, like the ones used for video card memory chips... but it's no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          On a Raspberry Pi 3, I got an overtemperature warning despite not being overclocked during a long compile operation, so I used a stick-on heatsink over the Broadcom SOC and I did not have this problem anymore.
          Still wondering why it isn't sold with a heatsink...
          Because its designed for "typical" use. The sad thing is that the software doesn't(?) throttle the CPU when it senses an overtemperature condition (which has value regardless of whether the device has passive/active cooling).

Counting on the user to see a warning message and take action to eliminate the problem is a foolhardy design philosophy (i.e., what if the device is unattended?)

Comment

Working...
          X