X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounded motherboard

Hello,

I have seen this yt video.

I also have one desktop motherboard that is "grounded" i.e. it starts immediately when there is power applied to the board. I didn't notice any other problem with the board. Is this really a problem?

Re: Grounded motherboard

It can be fixed, but that solution is not allways the fix. 3 Days ago I had my testing PC rig "grounded" too and I cleaned just with a brush, without alcohol os similar and after that it was fixed too, but in case there is a mosfet or another component really groundedyou will need skills and tools.

For sure the first thing is to clean, then to fix

Comment

I'm not sure this needs to be fixed. Except for starting immediately after connecting PSU to the power, no other problem is noticeable.
      Can this state cause further, more serious problems?
      Should I worry about this?

Comment

Ahh, ok, sorry, I missunderstood, so its not grounded, what it has (almost for sure) is a option enabled in bios to start when AC power is back (for example after a blackout).

Try to log into the BIOS and dissable AC power back or something similar, it uses to be inside power management section. If not founded you can post the exact model of the MB here or just reset bios to default, it will fix the issue

Comment

Yes, thank you. It was BIOS option. I changed it and it is now behaves exactly as expected. When I saw this yt video, I thought my motherboard has similar issue. I also used multimeter to measure pin on connector where Power ON switch is connected. One side was ground, i.e. very small resistant, but other showed some normal value in diode mode.

Is this multimeter test the only real way to test if the motherboard is grounded?

Comment

The motherboard is grounded to the computer chassis (usually with multiple screws) which is then grounded to the power supply chassis which is grounded via the third pin or ground on the a/c line plug
            In that stupid video, when he removed the bios backup battery to clean the board the bios reset to default which was likely stay off when power is applied. The way it was set before was likely resume state if power is interrupted. If the motherboard was ON when it lost power it will turn back ON when power is applied.
            Last edited by R_J; 01-16-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I fixed this problem many times in various videos - all you need to do is remove the CMOS battery and fit a good one if the original is reading less that 3.0V (and if it is reading just 3.0V replace it anyway as it is nearly expired)
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
                I fixed this problem many times in various videos - all you need to do is remove the CMOS battery and fit a good one if the original is reading less that 3.0V (and if it is reading just 3.0V replace it anyway as it is nearly expired)
                Hello Dicky96,
                which problem exactly did you solve by changing the battery? The problem that computer starts immediately when AC Power is applied?

BTW, you have great YT repair videos. Thank you very much for that.

Comment

Working...
                X