X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flickering SAMSUNG UE46D6510WS

Got this fine set (smart, 3D, wifi) with following problem:
    flickering upper 2/3rds of screen.

When I´d remove right T-con flat, I´d have left half of the image without flickering in the upper part.
    When I´d remove left T-con flat, I´d have distorted and flickering right half of the image.
    Any movement on tab bonds or T-con flats changes nothing at all.

However, while I tried to take photos today for badcaps.com, I lost picture entirely. Wont show menu or anything. T-con gets warm, still.
    And has backlight.
    Again, any movement on tab bonds or T-con flats changes nothing at all.

How to determine if it´s bad panel or something else?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    stay classy

Re: flickering SAMSUNG UE46D6510WS

Panel, but I believe there's a hack that can get these working again with a small piece of tape.
    There's a video on YouTube detailing it but I can't find it right now.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I found pins that I shorted while wiggling one of the flats.
      5-6 of them, too, I managed to peel them of cable unfortunately.
      They are on the T-con side, which probably killed something on T-con, a possible reason why I have no image whatsoever anymore.

I ordered a new T-con, so I hopefully can start from scratch
      stay classy

Comment

So my T-con arived, and I fitted it.
        Got old problem but only left (flickering) side of the image.
        Looks like this

I should be able to fix flickering with tape, so far I got to this:

But only left half of the image works. Tried 4 different ribbon cables, wiggling buffer flat cables, no change at all. Only dead black.

I believe shorted panels usually are white? Plus, I had perfect image on the right side when I got TV...
        Attached Files
        stay classy

Comment

After more playing with cables it developed a vertical blue line on the right side. Just stays, doesn´t flicker or change colour.

Attached Files
          stay classy

Comment

of course, you were doing all your "plugging and unplugging" with the tv powered off, right?

To test the theory about "white screen", configure the cables with the side that you have working disconnected and the side that doesn't work plugged in. What is the result now?

It is likely that you have found or created an issue with the bottom edge boards where the cables from the tcon connect. You might first try reseating those but it is more likely you have an issue with the board with one of the smd components there in, either a cap or resistor. Depending on your luck and skill, the components may be replaceable "on set" as the boards can not be removed for repair as they are bonded to the panel.

Further: what is the history of the tv? someone did some "window washing"?
            Last edited by budwich; 11-24-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Don´t know history, bought it cheaply hoping I can fix it for myself.

I did some "plugging and unplugging" live, too. Yeah, I know, but somehow I lose my nerves, and I regret it later. I´m very calm person, but get really frustrated when something I´m working on doesn´t go my way. Can´t get rid of that stupid habit.

Done all sorts of reseating, but haven´t thought of the SMD components down there, I must give it a look.
              Any advice on that?
              Luck I have none, only some limited skill and a hot air station
              stay classy

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                To test the theory about "white screen", configure the cables with the side that you have working disconnected and the side that doesn't work plugged in. What is the result now?
                Blank screen with blue line.

Threw a quick look. Board is as follows:

in the leftmost area is this :

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1543076351

caps CV10, CV11,CV12 and CV13 give 0.03 reading (diode mode).
                Is one shorted or that´s normal?

What else to look for?
                Attached Files
                stay classy

Comment

0.03 is a short on diode mode, if you disconnected and reconnected while live you may well have killed a panel driver. Seeing a solid blue line is not a good sign, so a dead driver would be my first guess.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

although most sets give a white screen when a "side" is not connected, some may not (design dependent maybe).

Anyway, I don't think the proper way to check a capacitor is with the diode mode... its not a diode. :-) Use the resistance / ohm mode. Watching what the resistance is and then seeing if it changes with "time" (ie. as you hold the connection)... this tells you that the capacitor is charging and perhaps actually OK... although of course, it isn't a "sure check" as the actual value is not known which would come from an capacitance meter / checker.

Further, there maybe a number of capacitors on the board in parallel so if one is bad, an "in-board" measurement may not be accurate. Still further, Vcom or equivalent is usually somewhere on the tcon (look at the board labelling or use a meter to test some of the test points. That voltage is passed to the edge boards to drive the panel. It is likely on the "blank side" that voltage is not there or otherwise, caused by either an open or shorted SMD capacitor.

I ain't any expert on this but just what I have seen in my limited travels at the "bench" and in this forum on various threads.

Lastly, a vertical line is usually not a good sign as those are usually issues with the source drivers along the bottom of the panel which are not fixable... either by the "remove tab method" or "tape cutoff method".

Really lastly, what the heck are you doing so "roughly" that you are removing / peeling tracks on the cable? Are you releasing and installing the cables correctly?
                    Last edited by budwich; 11-24-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X