Windows key in BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows key in BIOS

So I thought I had saved the original BIOS dump from my laptop before I loaded another one. Apparently I didn't as when I opened up the .bin file to look at it, it was all 00. Does that mean that my original Windows key (Win8) is now lost, and there is now nowhere I can retrieve it? The BIOS I overwrote the original one has the Windows key blanked out (xxxxx-xxx etc.) and of course now Windows10 is saying it cant find the key.

I guess I should be able to just purchase one if this one is now lost.

Re: Windows key in BIOS

There is no way now to recover the key. It was there in original dump but unfortunately backup is blank-so you need to buy another licence.

Comment

That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask you more knowledgeable people. Thanks

Comment

What make and model is the laptop, did you have driver update software installed .
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

It's an Asus X541UA (mobo is X541UVK rev 2.0) with OEM Windows 8 (but I don't have the original HDD), which I purchased with a "no power" issue. Found a shorted cap on the 3V linear o/p, which I fixed, and then tried to do a dump of the BIOS, using a ribbon cable attachment to programmer as I initially didn't want to remove the IC, and this is where my blank dump occurred. First time doing this, so didn't really know what to look for. I now just remove the BIOS chip as I know it works fine that way.

Anyhow, no problem guys, I have a working downloaded BIOS dump (just the key is "x" out, and I'll get a proper Win10 key to apply during the Win10 setup.
          Last edited by brew99; 02-20-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I ended up obtaining a Win10pro key and inserting that into the bin file. Win10 grabbed it no problems and activated, so it looks like I'm good.

Another question I have.....Is there some easy way to search a bin file in a Hex editor for the Win key if you don't know what the key should be? It was easy for me to find because the downloaded bin was all "xxx", but if it was a legit key, what could I search for?

Comment

there is no straight-forward way to search it. you can write a simple C++ program that searches the bin file to find a few '-' that have occurred near each other.

Comment

Depends on program, hexedit has wildcard option in text search. Also there should be a hex string in front of key: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1D 00 00 00

Comment

I scan for strings in the bios using FileAlyzer 2 ,made by spybot, and sort the strings by length.Its useful to find other dmi info too.
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

thanks guys, I'll play with some of the mentioned tools and see what I can find

Comment

So what are the ramifications of using a downloaded BIOS which has different MAC, mobo Serial#_Part#, and enclosure Serial#_Part#? I used RW Everything to look at the info

I've installed Win10 and put the key into BIOS, but now have noticed that most of the things I mentioned above are different numbers than what is physically on my mobo and computer case. It all still seems to work, just doesn't match up the the actual.

I'm guessing that if I changed it all in the BIOS, then Win10 will think things have changed and I'll no longer be activated?

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, just first time playing with a BIOS file
                      Last edited by brew99; 02-21-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brew99 View Post
                        So what are the ramifications of using a downloaded BIOS which has different MAC, mobo Serial#_Part#, and enclosure Serial#_Part#? I used RW Everything to look at the info

I've installed Win10 and put the key into BIOS, but now have noticed that most of the things I mentioned above are different numbers than what is physically on my mobo and computer case. It all still seems to work, just doesn't match up the the actual.

I'm guessing that if I changed it all in the BIOS, then Win10 will think things have changed and I'll no longer be activated?

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, just first time playing with a BIOS file
                        Those are all DMI data. Dont change them as windows will definitely de-activated.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I did change all those parameters in the BIOS, and it is still showing "digitally activated" with my microsoft account. I haven't tried it with just a local account.
                          The only weird thing is the MAC address still shows something else, but in Win10 it has the correct MAC of the ethernet.

Anyhow, I might not understand this stuff, but it was something to play with

Comment

So what is the proper way to ensure that the mobi s/n, Mac, Windows key, etc (Demi info I guess you call it) is not over written when you flash a dumped bios? Do you just ME region clean the dump before flashing?

Anyone have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                              I scan for strings in the bios using FileAlyzer 2 ,made by spybot, and sort the strings by length.Its useful to find other dmi info too.
                              really nice tool

wonder how to search for what windows is that product key

Comment

that give the windows key right ?
                                and to find the serial number ?

Comment

with windows 10 after activation, windows servers pair your config with license and next time activate windows itself even without product key in bios

Comment

Working...
                                  X