Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100Wx5 Reciever nearly blowing out my 100W speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100Wx5 Reciever nearly blowing out my 100W speakers?

I have a Sony STR-DE845 that is 100w/channel and some Memorex 100w 90s speakers I can find nothing on (vintage audio forums, craigslist, like they don't exist) but they are 100w (and impedance matched). But it seems way overpowered in stereo mode. Does stereo put it at 250/250? I was playing dnla from my roku and the woofer on the left went out so far it "popped" when it came back in. I know it didn't fry it because it still sounds fine. It was turned up about a quarter way

Not as bad when i'm running 5.1 from DTS (of course center and surround are cheapo yamaha HTIB satellites)
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: 100Wx5 Reciever nearly blowing out my 100W speakers?

maybe the input is too hot

Comment

Input was a toslink from my TV, roku stick connected to tv with HDMI

Comment

Where is the impedence switch set 4 or 8 ohm? those memorex speaker could be rated at 100 watts peak music power

Comment

aka Nintendo Watts.

Comment

Speakers overrated, input too hot, maybe the bass was turned too high. If you're using EQ you will reach maximum power and clipping distortion long before you reach full range of the volume knob.

If you were playing bass-heavy music, this is typical behavior of ported speakers (which i'm sure they are) used without a highpass filter. They were likely designed to be used as satellite speakers, not full-range.
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 08-24-2017, 03:35 PM.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It won't be surprising if you open one of those 100 Watts to find a main speaker labeled 7 Watts .. Lol . I've seen it many times .

Comment

You can't beat vintage for quality. I have several pair of Pioneer speakers from 1979 0r so. Woofers are 12" with cast aluminum baskets about a half inch thick. Damn things weigh about 60 lbs. each. My accountant had a pair of nineties speakers sitting outside his office. He gave them to me, They were Pioneers with 12" steel baskets on the woofers. Weighed about 10lbs. each. After about $50 for foam and capacitors for the crossovers they were good as new. Except good as new meant they sounded like crap.

I hooked them up to one of my 85 watt Sansui's from about 1979 and I could not get them to sound good. Low volume high volume it didn't matter they just smeared the mid range. I gave them away.

I use Pioneer speakers from the early seventies for my surround sound system. Pioneer CS-99A for the front side and rear, CS-66A for the front high, and CS-33A for the center channel with matching twin subs. I routinely feel the bass through the concrete pad and carpet on my feet. I was watching the movie "A Haunting" recently and I had the volume high enough to hear the dialogue and the noise and music shook the house.

My advice is always to have a system for movies and a system for music. Surround sound processors can't make music sound good. If finances are tight though, you just have to do the best you can. I take a long term look at things. I'll spend all I have on speakers I know will work for the rest of my life and wait until I find the amp I want. My first good speakers I found in 1988 for $100 each. I still have them, it took me several years to find a decent amp for them. First I used them with the amp I had and that wasn't good enough. I bought a really good surround sound processor in the mid nineties and that didn't work. I bought an even better one in 2002 and it still didn't sound all that good so I went back and found the original amplifier the company put out at the time. That worked, I now have the entire top of the line system from 1976 and it sounds beautiful. I bought the old Pioneer speakers to use with the surround sound and they work great for movies, they have that vintage look and they all match since they're from the same line, just different sizes, most large with a couple small ones.
                Attached Files
                sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

I checked the impedance switch when I first hooked them up

they're not satellite, they're floorstanding. liquid cooled tweeter and 8" woofer

If anyone an find anything on these speakers, tell me because i've found nothing

this amp is from 2006 and it actually sounds great with 5.1 surround and music (switches to 2.0). It's actually a great rated amps for the time and cost me nothing

hm, I do have the bass frequencies cut kind of high, but still, having the volume less than a quarter up
                  Attached Files

Comment

8" is a bit weedy IMO for bass. I only have mid range and treble going to my 8" and my JBLs. Bass goes to my 10"ers.
                    Perhaps the crossover is not working as it should.
                    Until I picked up a Yamaha cheap I was running 3 amps with 3 sets of speakers.
                    Splitting the ranges to the right speakers to get better control of the sound. Now I run 2 amps powering 4 tweeters, 2 midrange and 3 subs. I have a pair of 12" subs coming too from a friend that wants them looking after.

Comment

actually the bass from these 8"s is amazing. Before this I cut the frequency lowest and cut them down, sounded almost like a subwoofer

I wish I had room for bigger speakers, like some other 90's with a 12" woofer our neighboor was throwing out. Woofer cables were reversed, but I fixed it. They're not bad but way too big for my room

90's brand that was apparently made by Panasonic
                      Last edited by Uranium-235; 08-26-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X