This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all, firstly, thanks to admins for allowing gmail accounts! I have changed isp's more times than I can remember, but have kept the same gmail since the trial days.

I dabble in computer repairs/builds etc. I've seen a few obviously leaking caps in the past and came here in the hope of learning how to diagnose and replace them.

Comment

Hey,
      A quick intro. I'm just getting into repairing my own electronics stuff. I recapped an old IBM Net Vista mother board with complete success. I'm hooked. The computer was free and the caps were less than 15 bucks including shipping. I now have a low voltage power supply that needs fixing so I'll jump on over to the threads to see if repair is feasible.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Hello everybody,it's my pleasure to be on your forum.

Comment

lol, all types of introes.... kool

Welcome to everybody!!!
          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Sorry........................
            Hello!

Comment

Hi there everyone my name is Jason I am located in Belleville, Michigan USA and I do electronics repair and computer repair as a Hobby. I just joined today to ask about bad capacitors.

My first computer way back when I was a kid was a Apple Macintosh LC II back in the 1990's I still have that computer works like it's brand new til this day.

My second computer was a Packard Bell legend 422cdt running windows 95 on a Intel Pentium at 133mhz them where the days

I still have both these computers and the packed bell is now running windows 98 because 95 crashed.

Hope you see you all in the fourms.

Jason
              Got Blue Screen of Death?

Comment

Hello All It's good to be here. I've been repairing LCD monitors for a few months ( Calgary Alberta ) now with some success. Spotting bad caps and replacing them is one thing but there's obvious much more to learn and I'm sure this site is the best for that aim. Cheers.....Raymond
                Last edited by raymond; 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hi everyone

Comment

Hello, I'm new in this forum.
                    I'm from Spain. Also I'm new inside of a computer, laptop's.
                    I have degree in electronics. And a little experience in computers hardware.
                    This is the reasons to look inside this forum, I'm allways learning.
                    Sorry about my english.
                    Thanks for this site.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      New to this forum. I am a retired railway worker from Canada. I was a signal
                      maintainer (worked on mostly DC signal circuits and power switch machines).
                      Started to get into electronics and computers a little in the last few years of
                      my career.
                      Found this forum while trying to repair bad pwr/inverter board from my sons
                      LG monitor, looks like a lot of good knowledge and info here.

Comment

Hello everyone,i am a new member from china!And it is my pleasure to know you guys here!

Comment

Hi,
                          I'm Carl, parent of a sad iMac G5 owner - I don't want to replace my kids computer quite yet, so I'm fixing it. I do space software for a living, and get tossed pieces of hardware from time to time to work on.

Comment

Hi! My name is Lin and I'm from Indiana. Nanarama is what my grandkids call me. I found this board by searching for a possible repair for my tv in the kitchen. I know very little about electronics but have a retired husband that has a 'honey do' list. He fixed a bad power jack on my laptop last week, now it's time to try tv repair. Next is a dim screen on my ipod (I hope). It saddens me to think of all the things we have disposed of in our lifetime that could have been repaired or updated.

Thank you all in advance for your advice, time and knowledge!

Comment

lurking for repair info. I scrounge google pretty well. so well that i found this place lol. now off to lurk i go.

Comment

I've been an electro-mechanical technician for over 30 years and for the first time I find my self with the responsibility of repairing LCD monitors. I consider it extremely fortunate that I found this board. I am sure to be making use of it as soon as I go back to work.

Hi to all.

Alan

Comment

Hi everyone.I am Roman from Slovakia but living in Ireland a couple years.I am a electronic mechanic and I am so happy to find this site.I just love electronic repairing.Hopefully I will find some good thinks and know nice smart people. My pleasure guys. romanko

Comment

Hi people. Just decided to join your forum. Had 2 posts but was wondering why I can't change my profile yet
                                    improve golf swing

Comment

I guess my experience with electronics goes back a long way from stringing up wire for short wave and dxing am stations like WOWO Wheeling West Virginia, was introduced to computers in the late 60's and even then caps went bad but in more traditional things like portable radio's, although I remember the square caps or condensers from way, way back.

One day I was repairing a car battery charger and put the beefy cap in backwards, had to pull out one end from the radiator and the other end from the plaster, lets say it was not useable again and gave me a shock, I learned.

Why I ended up here? Well a friend gave me a mobo p4p-800 to sort of see if it would work or not, it came from one of his clients and had been misbehaving and was swapped out for a new board. My memories of caps flaking out from long ago and a friend from New York with cap problems rounded this out and I needed to know more.

This p4p-800 deluxe just has constant memory errors even with good ram and I noticed the voltage fluctuating quite a bit so those memories of condensers came back. In order to swap in the new caps I need a new hot iron with a small point, sort of board holder, new desolder tool, exhaust fan as I do not enjoy breathing lead or other hazardous gases and one of those lights with the magnifier in the middle. Then I will try replacing the caps.

My knowledge of computers goes back to the very old ones used in the chem labs hooked to a mainframe, home type a vic 20 before the vic 64 and a tape drive. Have tried programming but its not my thing as someone else said, would rather build or fix things of every sort. Used DOS, CPM, Windows and Linux... Run both Windows and Linux and my favorite is Mint although I like knoppix, puppy and other Linux distros.

I to find myself assaulted by those running windows with viruses and trojans, of course removing these bugs is free, maybe sometimes I get a dinner out of it. Oh Well I enjoy helping people, but my feelings about windows is a love/hate relationship. Linux is mostly love more and more!

My philosphy is to help others, hug a few more people every day, be intimate and turn off the tv. My favorite shows would be on PBS like Nova or British comedies. Music I prefer the older melodies that had feeling and classical! Oh, Yes Star Trek I like, makes me a trekky!

Best to everyone, Den

So I searched Google and found this interesting site about caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by nanarama View Post
                                        Hi! My name is Lin and I'm from Indiana. Nanarama is what my grandkids call me. I found this board by searching for a possible repair for my tv in the kitchen. I know very little about electronics but have a retired husband that has a 'honey do' list. He fixed a bad power jack on my laptop last week, now it's time to try tv repair. Next is a dim screen on my ipod (I hope). It saddens me to think of all the things we have disposed of in our lifetime that could have been repaired or updated.

Thank you all in advance for your advice, time and knowledge!
                                        Just a caution with any CRT (TV) if its that type very high voltages exist inside the case, ones that can easily kill or injure you seriously, learn much more before you even contemplate fixing a TV.

Comment

Just wanted to post and say hello....

I found this site while looking for repair of my motherboard, and look forward to learning more about electronics while I am here...

I also hope to refer my friends that need knowledge or repair of their caps on their electronics...

Comment

Working...
                                          X