Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SONY KD-43X8305C - Not booting after software update

Hi,

I have been given a SONY KD-43X8305C Android based 43" 4K TV.

It received a software update which failed and then failed to boot after.

I have tried holding Power and Volume down (-) then applying AC power, multiple times, with no success.

The backlight is off, the main status LED is Off, the Mainboard heat sink gets slightly warm if left on for more than 30 minutes, showing it is getting power.
    PSU has normal outputs. Screen appears blank even with a torch test and no start up sound from Android is heard when powered on.

I have tried to force the software update with the Sony procedure but no success.

@Diah - any advice as what to try next?

I have a heat gun (solder rework station type & paint stripper type) and some re-work flux, is it worth trying the BGA heating fix?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Re: SONY KD-43X8305C - Not booting after software update

No bga rework, it is clearly a software issue, the only way is to reprogram firmware by rs232 or directly on main flash, having the right file.

Comment

Hi Davi.P

I have a software package from Sony, which was the one I tried to apply using a USB stick. Can that package be used by RS232 to re-program the system? If so, can you describe how to do this, as I am new to this type of issue.

Regards

Russell

Comment

No, the archive you are describing is an update, by rs232 needs an entire dump, anyway trhough serial it is only theorical, often is nearly impossible due to restrictions and lack of instructions/guides.. sorry..
        i was watching today a possible hardware to program the emmc flash without spending much , hoping it will work..

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
          No, the archive you are describing is an update, by rs232 needs an entire dump, anyway trhough serial it is only theorical, often is nearly impossible due to restrictions and lack of instructions/guides.. sorry..
          i was watching today a possible hardware to program the emmc flash without spending much , hoping it will work..
          So it sounds like I either need to have the board repaired (have the emmc chips(s) replaced with pre-programmed ones) or buy a second hand board (very hard to find).

Seems a shame to have to scrap such a good TV..........

Thanks for you help Davi.P

Comment

These days i'm watching some possibles chooses for cheaply reprogram directly the flash and maybe without a dump from an unknown place, there is much to study and test, now i'm still with repair due to recent house change.. as a emmc reader an extremely cheap SDcard reader, for dump a repaired original dump...

Comment

Originally posted by Russ17 View Post
              So it sounds like I either need to have the board repaired (have the emmc chips(s) replaced with pre-programmed ones) or buy a second hand board (very hard to find).

Seems a shame to have to scrap such a good TV..........

Thanks for you help Davi.P
              Not hard to find but expensive nevertheless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255195981274
              at £90!

Comment

The EMMC has reached it's "end of life" , therefor it must be changed with a loaded EMMC. Reloading the old EMMC will not work. Buying a second hand works but how what is the status of the EMMC on that board...
                The next problem is when you swap the EMMC the Netflix app and CI+ connection will not work. Done several of these mainboards and all had the same problem.

Comment

You can see the end of life status by the log? I previously fixed a pair of tv with software problem, repairing the orginal firmware and them are still working it seems.. no returns..

Comment

Originally posted by William1967 View Post
                    The EMMC has reached it's "end of life" , therefor it must be changed with a loaded EMMC. Reloading the old EMMC will not work. Buying a second hand works but how what is the status of the EMMC on that board...
                    The next problem is when you swap the EMMC the Netflix app and CI+ connection will not work. Done several of these mainboards and all had the same problem.
                    The CI is not an issue, but losing Netflix would be.

Is it because it is not part of the software that is reloaded?

Comment

Originally posted by William1967 View Post
                      Do you basically flash a good emmc dump into the new chip and you solder it back on the board? No fooling around with other tools or modifications? I have seen couple of ebay sellers going up to 100gpb for this board.

Comment

Hi all,

Did anyone managed to get a fix around this?
                        Did anyone found out why is this happening if you replace the eMMC and program it with a backup from another board?

Tia

Comment

Originally posted by gabontz View Post
                          Hi all,

Did anyone managed to get a fix around this?
                          Did anyone found out why is this happening if you replace the eMMC and program it with a backup from another board?

Tia
                          I have not solved this one - Seems eMMC chips are prone to this, and this issue has even affected Tesla Cars as they use a similar device.

The only real solution is to replace the whole board, but that too will likely suffer the same fate eventually.

Due to the age (2015), it doesn't make economic sense to buy a main board for £100+, which will maybe die in a few years at most.

Comment

Working...
                          X