This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

This morning when I was at my computer, I heard a hissing sound and thought it was my monitor (which appears to be on its last legs), but I found out that it was a plugpack, DVD model DSA-0131F-05 and upon opening, a bulging 22uF 400V Jamicon TK (105C) unit was found.

The particular unit is of the self-oscillating type, secondary capacitors are 680uF 10V Jamicon WG (before and after output inductor), and as in the picture, the fuse is crossing the secondary side, even though it has heatshrink on it.

Has anyone else seen a bulging 400/450V Jamicon unit, especially if it is on the primary side?
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

If it is cooking itself in its own juices, than it is no surprise it has gone bad…how long was it working?
      Last edited by Behemot; 10-20-2012, 12:21 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Honestly, I have no idea.
        I meant DVE, not DVD.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          Honestly, I have no idea.
          I meant DVE, not DVD.
          Ah yes, I have a few DVE brand adapters. I think all of them are transformer based, not SMPS.

Did the hissing come from the capacitor exploding?

You should blow up the capacitor :P

-Ben
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Here's a delicious Deer for you guys to admire In these, when the sleeve bearing fan dies, they ALWAYS keep running until the switching transistors blow. I've seen 6 of them die and it's the switchers every time, as well as all the YC caps bulging
            Attached Files

Comment

Damn... that's a 28 size transformer there. Talk about pathetic....

On the other hand, many PSUs don't have over temperature protection, in all fairness, so they too continue to run when a fan seizes. But if the switchers die from a seized fan if you're not even running the PSU at even half its capacity then they must be pathetic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Here's a delicious Deer for you guys to admire In these, when the sleeve bearing fan dies, they ALWAYS keep running until the switching transistors blow. I've seen 6 of them die and it's the switchers every time, as well as all the YC caps bulging
                Is the label 350 W at least?

I just hope thats B0S, not BOS on the transformer, if Brotherhood of Steel made such a crap, that would ruin all my belief in them
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Yeah it happens to these things a lot The label claims 250W. 192W on the 12V. Looks like B0S

Comment

Thats not bad, it even looks it can do 200 W continuous, 250 W maybe. Expected more generous label

Comment

They are getting better.

Comment

They definitely are getting better. They need to at least put a ball bearing fan in there though. And fix the fan controller. The fan spins at the same speed at <50W as it does when it's pulling over 150W and it starts to get pretty hot.

Comment

Well it's not so surprising after all, you can get 550W OCZ ZS with 80+ bronze certifications for some 55 USD…

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            Well it's not so surprising after all, you can get 550W OCZ ZS with 80+ bronze certifications for some 55 USD…
                            That's pretty good. Here is the exact PSU on Newegg, overpriced if you ask me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Power-Supplies

Comment

Ah, it's SFX than? These are generally pricier…

Comment

Looks like B0S
                                Maybe POS, Piece Of ...

I would guesstimate it at 150W-200W. Wasn't 185W common in that case size? It actually has an input filter on the AC side. OTOH, the O/P caps are all extra well done!
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                  Maybe POS, Piece Of ...

I would guesstimate it at 150W-200W. Wasn't 185W common in that case size? It actually has an input filter on the AC side. OTOH, the O/P caps are all extra well done!
                                  Hahaha I actually have one being used for a linux box (requires around 100W continuous, around 160W under load) I recapped it and put a ball bearing fan in there. Just to see if the little bugger can last with a little upgrade

Comment

It's actually pretty tough to get something usable in SFX factor, at least here. Everything is expensive and the best thing you can usually buy is something from FSP Group, full of crappy caps anyway.

Comment

VENR (fake ?) 450S-ATX

No EMI filter. Primary caps : Fhy 330uF - 200V x2 85C
                                      Two transistors 5VSB: C945, D13003
                                      Main switcher: D13007 x2. Very small main tranformer.
                                      Secondary:
                                      Rectifiers: S16C40C x2, F12C20C. No pi filters.
                                      DC filter caps: 1000uF - 16V x3 , 470uF - 16V, 1000uF - 16V (5VSB), all BH 105C.
                                      PWM controller : HS8108.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

That thing is silkscreened to have PFC? That looks like a new age Leadman/Linkworld
                                        Last edited by Pentium4; 10-24-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          That thing is silkscreened to have PFC? That looks like a new age Leadman/Linkworld
                                          This PSU has no PFC, just jumbered. I don't know who is real manufacturer. This is their logo.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X