This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

The UL Number on the PCB (E171766) points to Fai Wong Electronic PCB Co, but they are just a PCB manufacturer, so that doesn't tell us much about who actually assembled the PSU (maybe that's supposed to be Fail Wong Electronics )
    The UL number on the case (E161870) returns no results at the UL database, so it's possibly forged.

I must say, though, that green logo on the transformer looks familiar to me. I can't remember where I've seen it, though.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ttn328 View Post
      ... just jumbered...
      Sorry for misspelling ... jumpered

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      The UL Number on the PCB (E171766) points to Fai Wong Electronic PCB Co, but they are just a PCB manufacturer, so that doesn't tell us much about who actually assembled the PSU (maybe that's supposed to be Fail Wong Electronics )
      The UL number on the case (E161870) returns no results at the UL database, so it's possibly forged.

I must say, though, that green logo on the transformer looks familiar to me. I can't remember where I've seen it, though.
      Thanks for all your info. My friend paid 150000 vn dong (about 7 USD) for it, don't know how much power it could supply.

Comment

Looks like the transformer is so tiny, I bet it will saturate and blow the switching transistors before it reaches 450 watts xD

Atleast the heatsinks are somewhat decent, not just thick hunks of metal.

I wonder if those primary caps actually read 330uF, or if they read 220uF xD
        Any way, those are tiny for a 450 watter.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yes, the transformer is very very small, it is smaller than the one of my Pen II Dell 200W PSU.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well at least there is room enough for some airflow inside
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
              Looks like the transformer is so tiny, I bet it will saturate and blow the switching transistors before it reaches 450 watts xD
              450w !? You're lucky if that psu goes over 200 watts ! )

Those rectifiers on the secondary side are rated for 16A and 12A ... so it might do 3.3v @ 16a =53 w , 5v @ 16a = 80w , 12v @ 12a = 144w ... but the transformer itself is designed for 150-200 watts ..
              Last edited by mariushm; 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I'd give it 200W without blowing up, but given how little output filtering it has, I doubt if it would be able to deliver anything at all with the ripple in spec.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  450w !? You're lucky if that psu goes over 200 watts ! )
                  Yeah, I inferred the 450W from the label. Ofc, they always lie about the wattage rating
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    They definitely are getting better. They need to at least put a ball bearing fan in there though. And fix the fan controller.
                    Fix the fan controller? What fan controller?

These things are designed to run the fan on 12V all the time so they don't overheat. That's why the sleeve bearing fans in cheap power supplies die so quickly. Most of the time there's nothing wrong with the cheap sleeve bearing fans. A ball bearing fan will sure last longer but then the PSU will get filled with dust quickly and it will eventually overheat anyways. It's really best for them to have put bigger heat sinks and bigger parts - then the fan can be slowed down... But that costs extra $$.

Originally posted by ttn328
                    VENR (fake ?) 450S-ATX
                    Originally posted by c_hegge
                    I'd give it 200W without blowing up, but given how little output filtering it has, I doubt if it would be able to deliver anything at all with the ripple in spec.
                    Exactly! Who cares about raw output power if the PSU's ripple is in spec only for a fraction of the wattage it can do.
                    With those tiny caps and inductors on the secondary, I'd say about 50W is the MAX usable power you can get out of it before ripple and noise go out of spec. I had a cheap L&C with a similar cap configuration on the secondary and it couldn't even power a 400 MHz Pentium II (24W TDP, 33W max) PC under full load! And all that computer had was a low-wattage S3 Savage 4 8MB video card and a single low-power Seagate HDD.
                    Last edited by momaka; 10-24-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Check out this "Newegg special" piece of shit....When I opened the case I got a strong smell of burnt silicon and the classic smell of overworked electronics. It was powering a Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz, 4 sticks of RAM, 1 HDD and a 7600 GS. Pretty low load to be honest. Primary caps are Fuhjyyu and the rest are BH. At least they used Late Yoon fans, but the thing was annoyingly loud. Only two 1000uF 16V caps for 12V filtering
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pentium4; 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

The chassis is black, that has to count for something...
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          The chassis is black, that has to count for something...
                          It just turned black from getting so hot due to 30% efficiency

Comment

ERL-35 transformer, isn't it about 350 W continuous/400 W peak?
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                              ERL-35 transformer, isn't it about 350 W continuous/400 W peak?
                              I think that's the only good thing on it. I might take the switchers though, it has two 13007's and a SW2N60

Uploaded a pic of the secondary. Look at those gross caps...Output rectifiers from left to right 30A, 20A, 30A
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pentium4; 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I keep almost everything. Bit like ant, dissect it into small pieces every time You can use input caps for 250W PSUs, NTC when it blows somewhere, toroids at least for cores to make replacement (if you posess inductance meter). Resistors and stuff are also a need from time to time
                                Last edited by Behemot; 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

^ Crappy caps / lack of output filtering aside, that Logysis is not that bad. My friend has the "480W" version at his repair shop - now that one is a big piece of shit. It cross-loads very easily and even hisses/squeals if the load is slightly unbalanced or too heavy. And the heat sinks are paper-thin - pretty much you see in the lowest of the lowest-end PowMax and SunPro.

Comment

I think that's the only good thing on it. I might take the switchers though, it has two 13007's and a SW2N60

Uploaded a pic of the secondary. Look at those gross caps...Output rectifiers from left to right 30A, 20A, 30A
                                    What is that? Glue... snot... dried electrolyte... a combination of all three...?
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      ^ Crappy caps / lack of output filtering aside, that Logysis is not that bad. My friend has the "480W" version at his repair shop - now that one is a big piece of shit. It cross-loads very easily and even hisses/squeals if the load is slightly unbalanced or too heavy. And the heat sinks are paper-thin - pretty much you see in the lowest of the lowest-end PowMax and SunPro.
                                      I will still call this thing crap got pics of the 480W?
                                      Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      What is that? Glue... snot... dried electrolyte... a combination of all three...?
                                      Probably all 3 you can't see really in the pics but that diode on the 5VSB circuit is very dark around it

Comment

that diode on the 5VSB circuit is very dark around it
                                        I've seen that a few times in Keerda/Logisus PSUs, and it always dries out the two caps.

Comment

Yeah this one says Keerda Electronics on it. Is that their main OEM?

Comment

Working...
                                          X