Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial/schematics of Printers/Copiers

Dear Technicians,

Printers and Photocopiers are used by print centers and offices every day. They have to repair/service these devices 2-4 times a year. I heard from a print center owner that the repairman asks a lot of money every time he services their devices.
    In general, a printer/copier contains the following main parts:
    1- A power board
    2- A controller board
    3- A number of motors
    4- A number of sensors
    5- Ink, Cartridge, Ribbon, and so on
    6- Body case, paper containers, and covers
    7- A few IO ports for communication
    8- Fax/scan parts
    9- A Keyboard
    10- A small display

There is a service manual for every printer/copier that explains most of these parts except for the controller board.
    Is there any tutorial on how a controller board works and what components it contains?
    Can schematics of controller board be found for any printer/copier?

thanks

Re: Tutorial/schematics of Printers/Copiers

up

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      There is a service manual for every printer/copier that explains most of these parts except for the controller board.
      Is there any tutorial on how a controller board works and what components it contains?
      Can schematics of controller board be found for any printer/copier?

thanks
      A long time ago, I used to repair printers. Yes, service manuals are available, and in most cases, they are actually very good.

I have never seen a schematic for a controller board, and I have to say, the times I have had to replace the controller board is very, very small. Usually, it's the fuser, toner, sometimes motors, but more often bad rubber pickup wheels, d-rollers, etc. Print artifacts can usually be diagnosed with a ruler, especially when they repeat, or just by doing partial print tests.

Learning to rebuild fusers and toners would probably be a good use of time. Controller boards, unless there is a particularly flaky model, probably wouldn't be.

Comment

Copier owners can learn how to replace toner and clean copier. But I heard the following problems happen sometimes for which they need to call a repair technician:
        - A motor or sensor gets faulty and the machine displays strange errors.
        - The machine prints artifacts on papers.
        - The machine prints an empty page by mistake for each print pair.
        - The machine has power problems.
        - and so on.
        am I wrong in this opinion?
        Last edited by caspian; 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I am a laptop technician. I live in a small city where not many laptops need repairing. But there are copier machines that get faulty sometimes. I heard some technicians do printer repair in my city, but no one does copier repair. Copier owners have to call repair technicians from far cities. Thus, I decided to do copier repair. At this point, I am a newbie in this field.
          I hope good technicians of Badcaps.net get into the field of copier repair. In this way, we can share experiences and become skilled.

Is there any forum where printer/copier technicians share their experiences?

Is there any city where authorized repair technicians took over the city in the field of copier repair so that no independent technician can enter this field?

Is there any obstacle that will fail me in doing copier repair?
          Last edited by caspian; 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I have carried out a lot of copier and printer repairs, less so now but still get some call outs. To echo the above post(s) the majority of problems I was called out to were mechanical of nature, very very rarely were controller boards bad, there is some scope for the power boards to fail though.

I have a stack of service manuals, mostly though now copiers are more reliable less moving parts, and or a lot of office machines are now supplied on contract etc. I am working my way through a batch of Dell laser printers for a client at the moment mostly these are bad rubber pick up wheels.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, clearchris and llonen.
              Is there any obstacle that will fail me in doing copier repair?

Which ones of the following obstacles do exist in the field of copier repair?
              1- Copier repair is too easy so that every one can learn it.
              2- There are many repair technicians in this business.
              3- Copier owners do not trust non-authorized technicians for copier repair.
              4- Many copier parts are hard to find.
              5- Copier repair includes part replacement in most cases and no technical computer/electronics knowledge is required.
              Last edited by caspian; 04-01-2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

6- Most copiers are leased and any maintenance is covered by the contract.

I've never met a happy copier/printer repairman. They all seem grumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  I've never met a happy copier/printer repairman. They all seem grumpy.
                  ^ Ain't that the truth.

Comment

Working...
                  X