Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo U430p: Turn on after many power circles

Hi there.
    I got a Ideapad U430p it has issues to come up. No Screen (but I think the Backlight comes on [with some bios]).

The described problem is: The Notebook only starts if you power on/off the notebook multiple times. - I know this issue from some Edge 13 in the past (but never solved it) I haven't got the notebook turning on since I have it.

All Powerrails seem to be up an working. (currently Testing).
    Power On button works, Fan spins for a moment. Idle power consumption is 0.005a. While running (no fan spin): 0.292a (no display attached)

replaced the bios and checked the dump. seems the dump is corrupted as well

parseFile: invalid data checksum 47h, should be 43h
    parseSection: decompression failed with error "Customized compression failed"
    parseVolume: unknown file system FFF12B8D-7696-4C8B-A985-2747075B4F50

some random bios only shows:
    parseVolume: unknown file system FFF12B8D-7696-4C8B-A985-2747075B4F50

Do you have any Ideas what to check?

If I attach speakers and plug in power an start (slow) it's always as described above.
    If I turn on PSU and than hit the Power Button I sometimes get some kind of beepings. Not sure how to categorize them. As said, ONLY if I'm very quick.
    Of course no beep coded without ram or image with external display.
    Last edited by Pferd5; 11-23-2018, 12:54 PM.

Re: Lenovo U430p: Turn on after many power circles

No beep code with ram means its not even posting. first suspect is bios. Are you sure bios you flashed is known good dump??

Comment

not sure about "good" / "ok" bios. But I think some of the few I tested should somewhat work.

Just for a test: Without the bios chip it's not responding at all.

What I observed now is that the machine restarts every 30 seconds in a loop.
      Keyboard Backlight flashes for 1 sec and is not responding to caps lock.

Bios (solderd) LED flashes 2 to 3 times (very short).

Without RAM the Fan spins only for a very short time (<0.5sec) and stops.
      With RAM the fan spins the same but after another second it spins up for 1 sec. (cold boot)... but doesn't spin up for a sec while the boot loop (just the <0.5 sec)
      Last edited by Pferd5; 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

The guy I got the machine from told me that I worked sometimes.... currently I doubt that.

I checked with several Bios files I found here and elsewhere... all (more or less) same behavior. Infinite Power on/off loop (30sec.)

I think I checked every PowerRail, the all seem fine (I think).

all present:
        +5V_ALW
        +5V_RUN
        +1.5V_RUN
        +0.675V_DDR_VTT
        +3.3V_DEEP_SUS [What does it Stand for?])
        +V_VDDQ_VR
        +15V_ALW [Only spikes to 15... after that it's 13.4 or something, maybe to low?]
        +5V_ALW
        +3.3V_DSW
        +3.3V_RUN
        +1.05V_RUN

If ALW means Always: +15V:AWL is not always on, only after power on.

While the board was running in loop (30 seconds) the CPU/PCH got warm.
        I removed the cooler (while running) and observed that the Fan started
        spinning (while the temperature was rising), so some kind of logic seems to work here.

I tested the chips with alkohol and BOTH get warm. (not like hot)
        CPU get's only warm on one side, as I can tell and the PCH only the upper half. (s. pictures)

After removing the cooler I found this:

Does anybody confirm that this COULD cause the issues? If the PCH is broken, can other stuff work (fanspin), all power rails present and so on?

This would also mean the seller would be a lier.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi
          Sounds like yo have a dirty Me Region so all the bios your are using I bet are dirty meaning once a computer boots even if it’s a brand new computer once it was booted it’s no longer clean so if you can’t get a new complete update you use a donor and rebuild the Me region with the correct intel fit tool then open any text editor program cut yours out and past the new rebuilt in make sure your file size is correct save it then retry it . So all power rails are present what about the clock single is that present. So what is the secondary voltage coming on Plug any external mouse or keyboard does it light up are you getting RSMRST3.3 volts or S5 3.3volts
          I hope this helps
          Techman1025

Comment

I agree with mcplslg123 and techman1025, the bios is probably corrupt and the ME region needs cleaning. The random dump with the error "unknown file system FFF12B8D-7696-4C8B-A985-2747075B4F50" is a cpu microcode fault. Post your original bios if you have it.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I have flashed several bios on several different machines (also with clean me) and in the end the machines all worked pretty good.

It is possible that the original Bios Chip died today (while I wanted to read the last known data from it).

I'm still not convinced that it is the bios. - The seller told me he booted the device on the day before shipment. (He tells me that it can take 10 to 150 minutes to boot). - I guessed it's about the bios but still can't get it running. He didn't know about any 30sec reboot circle.?!

In the attachment are 3 Bios versions
              A, C are from reading. (one sections differs) - I'm not sure why offset 0x00 has 00 as data instead of FF. maybe it's because of the skypro programmer. But I also programmed the 3. file (with clean me) that was flashed with IT866II while unsolderd and begins with FF. (also did multiple verfies) - The chip should be supported (Checked ID and VSS) as it is a new W25Q64FVSIG

I would be more than happy if you edit some of the Bios or create a new one that I should try.

I also useed "me cleaner" to modify the clean me file and flashed it. But still the same behavior.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pferd5; 11-27-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Not sure what the hell is going on.

I erased the bios. Plugged in a Keyboard and started the notebook and saw 0.5 - 0.6 power draw (more) and it stayed on. But the keyboard did not flash. - Than I tried a USB with LED and this one flashed... and the system had the higher power draw.... Than I flashed the Clear ME Bios I attached and now the Notebook is starting with some errors... anyway I have a picture?!!!

Comment

Thank you guys.
                  I'm still nur sure what the problem was, as I flashed the identical (2x verfied) Bios file on the machine. Something, somewhere got stuck/caught... and erasing (and starting) the flash or plugging in (sounds stupid as ****) keyboard resolved it

Comment

Working...
                  X