DFI PM12-TC recap (but failed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFI PM12-TC recap (but failed)

I bought this desktop from a local scrapper in my country with this DFI PM12-TC motherboard in it. It came with Willamatte P4 1.8. Considered a bargain since the HDD that came off this desktop was working and the CPU as well. When I pop the case to have a look inside, i found 2 X 6.3V TAEPO 1800uf was bloated (one already bung from the bottom) and 3 X 6.3V TAEPO 1000uf bloated as well.

I pop in some RAM, with the CPU that come with it and attempt to turn on the board and it beep and works on 1st start, without recapping or whatever, because i am deciding weather the board worth fixing. Once i done installing Windows XP, all the drivers loaded up just fine. Except it is having some issue with the onboard display, in the device manager it isn't showing any error and the device is working properly. But it was making my display fuzzy, most noticeable when there are CPU activity (stress test) and graphics activity (moving cursor and windows). But when i was using an AGP graphics card, the fuzzy was gone. And by disabling the display adapter from device manager also remove the fuzzy. So i consider it as onboard IGP issue.
    I uploaded a video of it to Youtube :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cxv...ature=youtu.be

Firstly i recap the 3 X 6.3V 1000uf TAEPO that was bulging with 3 x OST cap (same rating), i know those are terrible cap as well, but that is what i got in hand at the moment. Turn it on, and it was still the same. Then i recap the remaining 2 x 6.3V 1000uf TAEPO (total there are 5, but 3 was bulging) with those OST i use earlier, since those are same TAEPO cap, they might be faulty as well. Still the same, prob remain unfix.

Next, i recap the 2 x 6.3V TAEPO 1800uf with 2 x Nichicon HN(M) 6.3V 2200uf, but that doesn't solve the fuzzy display either.

Here is a pic with my board together with the location of bad cap:

YELLOW is the 3 X bulging 6.3V 1000uf TAEPO
    GREEN is the 2 X good looking 6.3V 1000uf TAEPO
    RED is the 2 X bulging 6.3V 1800uf TAEPO

Here the badcap :

The conclusion is, should I just try a reflow with the VIA chipset ? Or replace all the caps, which i might do i later because i already run out of caps.
    Attached Files

Re: DFI PM12-TC recap (but failed)

is it the psu it came with?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      is it the psu it came with?
      Nope, i was using my own known working PSU to test.

Comment

i would replace the other 3 caps on the left under the cpu, and the 2 below the 12v cable

they are in area's that get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          i would replace the other 3 caps on the left under the cpu, and the 2 below the 12v cable

they are in area's that get hot.
          Ok, thanks for the tip, will try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Comment

yeah not all caps bloat when they die
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The capacitors (probably) won't have much of an effect on that, it looks like there's a noise issue (maybe even a grounding loop) on or near the onboard video. It could be that some grounding pins on the VIA BGA went bad and are letting excessive noise into the video output.

You can try a heat gun to fix that, but be careful. (Sometimes mucking about with heat guns only makes things worse.)
              The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

I got 2 of these boards for free when i needed psu. I tried one of the board today. All caps were looking just as new. I noticed it only support AGP 4x. What is the newest bios version for this Phoenix bios?

Comment

Working...
                X