Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 350D Compact flash pin missing!

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up a bargain bin special at my local pawn broker yesterday. An older Canon 350D DSLR camera for $50. I originally only wanted the 18-55mm lens as they are worth a bit and then trash the rest of the thing, but now I feel it's a bit of a waste if I did.

The compact flash card slot has a broken pin, as in it broke completely off and is missing. It's one of the pins of the larger edged side of the CF card rails (pin 1 or 26???).

I dunno what these pins do, but I inserted an old CF card in and it reads/writes fine to it despite missing pin! Curious to know... if I keep using it with a missing pin, what could happen? I think the missing pin might be a ground pin (since theres a few of those on the pinouts).

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Canon 350D Compact flash pin missing!

looking at google images pin 1 is gnd pin 26 is cd1
    https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne.../compactflash/
    Last edited by vinceroger69; 04-15-2018, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
      looking at google images pin 1 is gnd pin 26 is cd1
      https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/conne.../compactflash/
      I'm not sure which one it is to be honest as some diagrams confuse me online. Some say it's pin 26 and some say it's pin 1? What exactly does CD1 do? I know what ground does but not CD1.

I am more inclined to say it might be a broken ground pin as it still works without flaws when tested with a card.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

found this
        -CD1, -CD2. (PC Card Memory Mode). O. 26, 25. These Card Detect pins are connected to ground on the CompactFlash Card. They are used by the host to determine if the card is fully inserted into its socket.

Comment

If you want to replace the pin here is what I have done. Open up the camera, plenty of write ups if you search the net. You need to keep removing parts until you get to the compact flash board. Once removed you need to get access to the pins - if I recall you may have to desolder a metal shield. Find some old scrap component that has similar pins of the same thickness and remove a pin as large and undamaged as possible. If I recall the pins are soldered to the board and then go into a plastic holder. You have to desolder the broken pin and pull it out, then solder the transplant pin in after sending it to the plastic holder. If your camera does not have this set up or you can not find a long enough pin, I have just soldered at a joint, and then covered the joint with silicon. It is a pretty small working area, but I have done it three or four times and all the cameras, some over eight years, are still working.

To be honest I have bought four broken cameras for just the lens, and replaced two with broken/bent pins and two with fuse issues.

Comment

Well the CF card slot still worked upon testing a few days ago (got a charger for it). Reads and writes no issues. Ended up selling it to a mate for $50 and he is happily shooting now with a 32GB CF card! Must have been a ground pin missing.

Comment

Working...
            X