Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Yes I definately want to continue I do believe I have sucessfully installed PU20. Im going to run the wires from the pins to where you said they go. I have done all that you said to do to open those files. Ive done exactly what you said to do and it keeps saying can not open file of this type. or file already exists , and doesn't give me an option to open. And if it does it says the same thing again, can not open file of this type. I also want to work on the one with voltages. working on my soldering of small components. my scope is hard to use, and my eyes are not good for small crap like let me know what we can do with the board with voltages next. I have to work on a few thing before I attempt cutting traces and such. I'm more of a visual learner. Thanks Blue Midnight for your continuous help and Patience!

Comment

BlueMidnight, I actually found another practice board for the cutting of traces. I need a week or so to practice cutting and soldering the traces before I attempt on my board. I would like to work on the board with voltages in the mean time. I'm also going to ask my daughter to show me how to open these files, even though they would be greek to me. In the next few days I will try repairing PU20 on the other board. My camera is limited, and the holder is small, so Its actually hard to do things, as this is only a hobby, that I enjoy the learning experience. Thanks again for your patience and help. I'll wait for your direction.

Comment

I've been rather busy (fixing my car among other things). Here's a quick 7-Zip tutorial I threw together though.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post
          I've been rather busy (fixing my car among other things). Here's a quick 7-Zip tutorial I threw together though.
          Thank you, I'll give this a try. I'll be here when you have some time. Hope all goes well with those repairs.

Comment

Finally got it to open with boardviewer,bdv . My daughter opened it up, and showed me how. Just looking things over. Is there 2 sides to the board view? Look forward to your return, Hope things are going well with the car repairs.

Comment

Going to shoot for replacing PU20. We'll see what happens.

Comment

There are "Top" and "Bottom" buttons in the toolbar that will switch between the 2 sides of the board. Also, occasionally a board will show up mirrored. So if you want to continue viewing the same side of the board, but the image of it is backwards, use the options at the bottom of the View menu to flip it.

Comment

Thanks, just looking, don't really know what I'm looking at, but its interesting, Removed PU- 20 from a donor board, and removed from the board,I messed up the two pads. Going to try, and do this one instead of the other. when you have some time I would like to get back to the board with the voltages. I need one out of 3 to work, as this HP seems to shit the bed every 8 months, and boards are getting scarce. Hope those repairs are going well for you. Thanks again BlueMidnight for your help.

Comment

Well, I was playing around with cutting traces, and scraping back the mask didn't go over very well, just going to work on the one that has a chance with less severe work involved. I will continue to practice, but will not do anything to the board we were working on at this time. When you have some time, just let me know what next step is. Thanks BlueMidnight.

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
                      Well, I was playing around with cutting traces, and scraping back the mask didn't go over very well, just going to work on the one that has a chance with less severe work involved. I will continue to practice, but will not do anything to the board we were working on at this time. When you have some time, just let me know what next step is. Thanks BlueMidnight.
                      Have a great holiday weekend!

Comment

Have a great holiday weekend!
                        Thanks. You too.

For the board with voltages, let's see where we're at.

Per this post, I take it that the board has the following:

+VIN (19.5V)
                        +3V_PCU (3.3V) @ PL12
                        +5V_PCU (5V) @ PL15
                        +3V_ALW (3.3V)
                        +5V_ALW (5V)
                        LIMIT_SIGNAL

How does it react when you press the power button? Lights? Etc.

Comment

Thanks. You too.

For the board with voltages, let's see where we're at.

Per this post, I take it that the board has the following:

+VIN (19.5V)
                          +3V_PCU (3.3V) @ PL12
                          +5V_PCU (5V) @ PL15
                          +3V_ALW (3.3V)
                          +5V_ALW (5V)
                          LIMIT_SIGNAL

How does it react when you press the power button? Lights? Etc.
                          1. Pr 103-19.6V 2. PL12-3.367V 3 .PL15-5.02V Pic#1 +3V ALW-3.36V pic#2 +5V ALW-5.02V Limit signal-5.03V On power jack white light comes on for a sec then goes out, fan starts to spin for a second or two. CPU gets warm also. I have a heat sink under it, while board is energized. I will double check everything Monday evening. Enjoy your Holiday weekend!
                          Last edited by rccrasher65; 09-06-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Okay, as I understand it, the board responds to the power button, but only comes on for a couple seconds before turning off again.

In that case, one possibility is that a power rail somewhere down the line isn't working or has a short. That's probably our best-case scenario, so let's check for that first.

Follow the instructions in step 2 of this post for the PLxx inductors/coils. If you've already checked for shorts on those, then the next thing to do is see which ones have the correct voltage during those couple seconds that the light is on and the fan is spinning. We already know some of them must be working. but that still leaves several others to check.

Comment

Okay, as I understand it, the board responds to the power button, but only comes on for a couple seconds before turning off again.

In that case, one possibility is that a power rail somewhere down the line isn't working or has a short. That's probably our best-case scenario, so let's check for that first.

Follow the instructions in step 2 of this post for the PLxx inductors/coils. If you've already checked for shorts on those, then the next thing to do is see which ones have the correct voltage during those couple seconds that the light is on and the fan is spinning. We already know some of them must be working. but that still leaves several others to check.
                                I do believe that's the first thing I checked was the inductor coils for shorts, I believe there weren't any. I will recheck everything, and post the results Mon evening, heading to the Mountains for the weekend. What are the voltages I should fined on those coils?

Comment

bump

Comment

PL1 = 0.95 V
                                    PL6 = 1.5 V
                                    PL11 = +BATCHG
                                    PL12 = 3.3 V
                                    PL15 = 5 V
                                    PL16 = 1.8 V
                                    PL17 = +VCC_CORE
                                    PL18 = +VDDNB_CORE
                                    PL21 = +APU_VDDGFX
                                    PL25 = 0.95 V
                                    PL28 = 1.35 V

Expect nothing for +BATCHG if no main battery connected. The other named ones are related to the CPU and GPU, and should be somewhere in the general vicinity of ~1-1.4 volts. The exact value varies.

Comment

PL1 = 0.95 V
                                      PL6 = 1.5 V
                                      PL11 = +BATCHG
                                      PL12 = 3.3 V
                                      PL15 = 5 V
                                      PL16 = 1.8 V
                                      PL17 = +VCC_CORE
                                      PL18 = +VDDNB_CORE
                                      PL21 = +APU_VDDGFX
                                      PL25 = 0.95 V
                                      PL28 = 1.35 V

Expect nothing for +BATCHG if no main battery connected. The other named ones are related to the CPU and GPU, and should be somewhere in the general vicinity of ~1-1.4 volts. The exact value varies.
                                      forgot I had a couple of Dr. appts this week. I will need a few more days to get the results. I have a question, will those voltages only be present for the second or two when power is turned on by shorting pins 3-4. Or will they be present when the board is just energized by pluging in the power supply/

Comment

I have a question, will those voltages only be present for the second or two when power is turned on by shorting pins 3-4. Or will they be present when the board is just energized by pluging in the power supply/
                                        The 3V/5V rails are present when it is plugged in. So is +BATCHG (when a battery is connected). Everything else turns on in a sequence. Don't count on anything else being present on any given notebook until the power button is pressed (though some do have a couple additional power rails when off). So, if you don't see it, try pressing the power button and see what it does before it shuts off (does it rise up to a value, fluctuate up and down, etc).

Comment

The 3V/5V rails are present when it is plugged in. So is +BATCHG (when a battery is connected). Everything else turns on in a sequence. Don't count on anything else being present on any given notebook until the power button is pressed (though some do have a couple additional power rails when off). So, if you don't see it, try pressing the power button and see what it does before it shuts off (does it rise up to a value, fluctuate up and down, etc).
                                          BlueMidnight, thanks for your patience, will get at it tonight, and have some results for tues. It will be difficult trying to short pins 3-4 while trying to hold meter probe for readings on the other rails. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                          X