Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

> Possible to repair/replace SMD capacitor in VGA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> Possible to repair/replace SMD capacitor in VGA?

I got VGA card one day when boot, nothing show out.
    Later I found out 1 SMD capacitor spoil as show in photo. (Label C834)
    I check other SMD at near, none of them got any label nor value show out so is that possible for me to repair/replace this with other SMD capacitor that look similar? (same length,same height, something like that)

Quite waste if 1 card just throw out like that with just 1 SMD down.
    I think C843 and C841 should be exactly same with C834.

Any opinion/suggestion? Anyway to know the value? or simply get something near to that?

Here also a link from website that got very detail look on the board. (Can enlarge after you choose the board photo)

https://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/gigab...=2258&pid=2258
    Attached Files

Re: > Possible to repair/replace SMD capacitor in VGA?

Usually failure on GTX460 is due to the GPU. You can try replacing that capacitor but don't get your hopes too high.
    It seems it is a decoupling cap on the PCIe power rail. Try to find a cap with the same size on the board, and then measure it with some calipers, to know the SMD package size (like 0805). Then you can order the highest capacity capacitor rated for 16V or 25V in that package size.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Usually failure on GTX460 is due to the GPU. You can try replacing that capacitor but don't get your hopes too high.
      It seems it is a decoupling cap on the PCIe power rail. Try to find a cap with the same size on the board, and then measure it with some calipers, to know the SMD package size (like 0805). Then you can order the highest capacity capacitor rated for 16V or 25V in that package size.
      I measure it. It is 1.24mm x 2.1mm so it is 0408?
      Someone say x7r with 10uf, 0.1uf and 0.01uf.
      I don't know whether is 10uf, 0.1uf or 0.01uf so I go with 10uf right? then with 25V?

Comment

0805 then, I'd pick a 10uF or 22uF, 25V.

Comment

+1

If you had the video card working in your computer and you never touched it before it went bad, chances are indeed it's the GPU chip that has failed and most likely that cap was gone/missing from before.

On slightly older video cards, I find that particular cap to be usually in the range of 1 to 4.7 uF. But 10 uF? -very unlikely. Either way, the exact capacitance isn't too important. 1 to 4.7 uF @ 16V or 25V will work fine.

But like Piernov said, that very likely will NOT fix your video card.
          One thing you can attempt, if the above doesn't fix your card, is to reflow it... though that will be only a temporary repair, at best (if it even works). Bottom line is there's no permanent fix for a bad GPU chip.
          Last edited by momaka; 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

0805 then, I'd pick a 10uF or 22uF, 25V.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            +1

If you had the video card working in your computer and you never touched it before it went bad, chances are indeed it's the GPU chip that has failed and most likely that cap was gone/missing from before.

On slightly older video cards, I find that particular cap to be usually in the range of 1 to 4.7 uF. But 10 uF? -very unlikely. Either way, the exact capacitance isn't too important. 1 to 4.7 uF @ 16V or 25V will work fine.

But like Piernov said, that very likely will NOT fix your video card.
            One thing you can attempt, if the above doesn't fix your card, is to reflow it... though that will be only a temporary repair, at best (if it even works). Bottom line is there's no permanent fix for a bad GPU chip.
            Thanks to both of you. I will try to get that first. For reflow, I think I have to check from website first because I not very know about it and don't know whether I got tools to do it or not.

Comment

Well… the ghetto way to do it is 8min at 200°C in the oven covered with aluminum foil, only a window around the GPU chip and under it. Better not do it if it's not necessary though.

Comment

Hi, I'm having a similiar issue, how is your card doing? Did you replace that cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Detro View Post
                  Hi, I'm having a similiar issue, how is your card doing? Did you replace that cap?
                  It's not the cap that's the issue. It's simply the GPU chip going bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X