Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help DCLCD 19" LCD Monitor - I already replaced caps

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
    Did you reflow the solder on the transformers yet? It will take thirty seconds and that's one more thing we can cross off the list.

I just measured the resistance across the transistors. They looked like the following:

Q12

126 Ohm
    170 Ohm
    73.6 Ohm

Q11
    126 Ohm
    170 Ohm
    73.4 Ohm

Q6
    1.4 kOhm
    600 Ohm
    600 Ohm

Q7
    1.4 kOhm
    600 Ohm
    700 Ohm

so the two pairs do not match, but the transistors within a pair match. And nothing is anywhere 00.0 ohms (which I didn't think it would be)

So whats next?

Comment

Originally posted by martini
      I just measured the resistance across the transistors. They looked like the following:

Q12

126 Ohm
      170 Ohm
      73.6 Ohm

Q11
      126 Ohm
      170 Ohm
      73.4 Ohm

Q6
      1.4 kOhm
      600 Ohm
      600 Ohm

Q7
      1.4 kOhm
      600 Ohm
      700 Ohm

so the two pairs do not match, but the transistors within a pair match. And nothing is anywhere 00.0 ohms (which I didn't think it would be)

So whats next?
      Something is not copacetic; the resistances should match closer than that. I don't think just replacing the transistors is going to fix it.

Now we may be venturing into dangerous territory. The first step is for you to give me the part number of the inverter controller - the 16 pin IC on the bottom of the board.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
        Something is not copacetic; the resistances should match closer than that. I don't think just replacing the transistors is going to fix it.

Now we may be venturing into dangerous territory. The first step is for you to give me the part number of the inverter controller - the 16 pin IC on the bottom of the board.

PlainBill

the only 16pin chip on the bottom of the board says:

4A FXFHK TL1451A

I honestly don't think I have the tools to handle desoldering these surface mount chips without damaging the board. If you think it is going to be one of those chips, I may just have to throw in the towel.

Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by martini
          the only 16pin chip on the bottom of the board says:

4A FXFHK TL1451A

I honestly don't think I have the tools to handle desoldering these surface mount chips without damaging the board. If you think it is going to be one of those chips, I may just have to throw in the towel.

Let me know
          Working with surface mount chips is no big deal. 60 years ago radio repairmen were up in arms because the manufacturers were building stuff on PC boards rather than using point to point wiring. They would lift the traces using 100 watt soldering irons and didn't know what they would do if they had to replace a vacuum tube socket. Ever since then every new innovation is met with wails of despair, and the old timers complain the new stuff is impossible to repair.

In some ways surface mount boards are easier to work on. With the proper tools, it's pretty hard to lift a trace or tear out a feed-through. The best tools are a 40 watt soldering iron with a fairly wide tip, a 20-25 watt soldering iron with a tiny tip, some solder braid, and a product called Chip-quik. Chip-quik is a low melt alloy (Woods metal) that dilutes the solder so the chip can be easily removed (It's melting point is well below the boiling point of water). Clean up the left over solder and Chip-quik with the solder braid, drop the new chip in place and solder it with the smaller iron. Yes, it's a skill that improves with practice, but so is just about everything.

If you don't want to go that way, I suggest offering the monitor to one of the other people here, or advertising it locally on Craigslist.

In the meantime I'll investigate the inverter controller and see if we can fake it out long enough to do some meaningful troubleshooting.

PlainBill
          Last edited by PlainBill; 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM.
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Guys, Im sorry for butting in but as a newbie I have a quick question. I have that same board shown above in a Sceptre Komodo monitor. The problem is the same as I keep reading about: display stays on for about 3 seconds then shuts down. If left on for a while it will finally hold the display when I turn it back on. OK finally here is my question. I have the caps to make a change out. Do I need to be concerned about draining any of those on the board before I start?

Comment

Originally posted by archt30
              Guys, Im sorry for butting in but as a newbie I have a quick question. I have that same board shown above in a Sceptre Komodo monitor. The problem is the same as I keep reading about: display stays on for about 3 seconds then shuts down. If left on for a while it will finally hold the display when I turn it back on. OK finally here is my question. I have the caps to make a change out. Do I need to be concerned about draining any of those on the board before I start?
              Nope. The only one that might pose a hazard is the big one (100uF, 450V, and if the monitor was working when you shut it down it will be pretty well drained.

PlainBill

Comment

Great, thanks for the help.

Comment

Hi, all. My first post on this forum. I already read some threads here and I have found tons of useful information. Great forum.

I also have same monitor, with little bit different symptom. Monitor will not turn on. The power LED will flash on and off. There also clicking sound coming from the area colored green. I suspect that the K2645 MOSFET is the problem. But can not tell for sure.

No leaked caps on the board. Four transistors on the bottom of the board seems to be working.

Any ideas?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wenter View Post
                    I also have same monitor, with little bit different symptom. Monitor will not turn on. The power LED will flash on and off.
                    Are you getting any stable secondary voltages like 5V or 12V DC on the connectors to the logic board?

If not, are you getting mains voltage * 1.4 across the big filter capacitor?

Did you test the fuses to see if they are open?
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Are you getting any stable secondary voltages like 5V or 12V DC on the connectors to the logic board?

If not, are you getting mains voltage * 1.4 across the big filter capacitor?

Did you test the fuses to see if they are open?
                      What is the good way to test the voltages? Put the power/inverter board on the desk, plug in the power cord in and test, or I need to have LCD panel connected to inverter and the rest of connection?

Is there a good FAQ on how to perform basic tests on the power/inverter board?

Comment

What is the good way to test the voltages? Put the power/inverter board on the desk, plug in the power cord in and test
                        I would not dare to try that way. I'd make sure that whole circuitry is correctly connected to LCD before trying to measure any voltages. That ensures that you have ground where it's supposed to be.

I always try to make sure that I can't short any 2 connections accidentally so I usually connect my multimeters black wire in some safe ground position (away from measurement points) before getting into measuring voltages. It's easier and safer to measure when you operate only one measurement point at a time.
                        Last edited by CapBlown; 08-08-2010, 02:20 AM.

Comment

blinking pled clicking noise?
                          Try replacing the small cap.Thats next to the large cap.Use low E.S.R.
                          Also look real close at all solder joints.
                          Al.
                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                            Try replacing the small cap.Thats next to the large cap.Use low E.S.R.
                            Also look real close at all solder joints.
                            Al.
                            I checked all solder joints - they seems to be fine. I can not read if the little cap is 22uf 50v or it is 2.2uf 50v.

Does anybody know what it is?

Comment

The one on my board is 22uf 50v
                              Al.
                              Last edited by alexanna; 08-08-2010, 03:31 PM. Reason: error
                              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Just to expand, from what I have learned, the little cap is sometimes called a startup/run cap.

It helps the SMPS startup. The SMPS provides your secondary voltages (5V, 12V, etc). If the startup cap is bad, sometimes you will hear the SMPS start/restart (or click).

My questions about the secondary voltage and mains voltage and your findings may have eventually lead to this startup cap, but alexanna just took the shortcut to it!
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you guys

I ordered new startup cap - will post when it'll be installed

Comment

wenter.
                                    is there any you could post a good close up of the back of your board around the area of Q6thru q12.Something with the so-8 apm9435 mosfets dose not look right on my board. I just need to verify
                                    Thanks Al.

Comment

I ordered new startup cap - will post when it'll be installed
                                      Which one?

Did you ever test for secondary voltages?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

wenter.
                                        is there any you could post a good close up of the back of your board around the area of Q6thru q12.Something with the so-8 apm9435 mosfets dose not look right on my board. I just need to verify
                                        Thanks Al.
                                        Here is the best shots I can make with my camera
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                          Which one?

Did you ever test for secondary voltages?
                                          I believe the small one in the red circle is a startup cap.

No, I did not try the voltages yet, I'll wait for cap to come, solder it in and assemble the monitor together to check all things out.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X