My First Recap (Photos & Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Recap (Photos & Video)

Hello, I'm happy because with the much appreciated help of this great forum I performed my first recap!

The job was ok, the Panasonic FM caps where a little bit larger then the original ones, but it worked out fine in the end.

I didn't have all the proper tools to do it, so I used a non-working socket 462 mobo and decided to "revive her". And it was easier because it used only 9 3.300uf 6.3v caps (the others where below 400uf line).

The bad caps where NICHICON HM(M) series, most of them on the left side where bulging and beginning to leak (pics 1 & 2).

Tools used:
    - $7.99 40W Radioshack shity solder iron;
    - $1.49 LF Silver Bearing Solder;
    - $4.99 Ground strap;
    - $5.00 9xPanasonic FM 3.300uf 6.3v Caps;
    - $1.99 Walmart cliper.

And thats all I used. Of course I don't recommend using only this to serious and complicated jobs, but keep n mind this was just a try out.

I didn't had to clean the holes using a soldering 'sucker' (I didn't have one) I just cutted the Caps short and once applied the heat to the holes on the back the Caps just slided in place, minimal cuts had to do to be done to the back after this.

Job done, now it's time to se if this old board would be able to revive and boot:

Bad Nichicons HM(M)_1

Bad Nichicon HM(M)_2

Starting to pull of bad Nichis

Recap Begins! Notice fat Panasonic's.

Recap Done (top view)

Recap Done (back view)

Video: It worked!! (powering the Mobo)

I know I didn't have the appropriate tools and the job could be better finished in the back, but I shake a lot!!!

I found it very easy to perform.

I also preformed the great Mobo Washing before recaping... The mobo works better then new now.
    Last edited by Jor3llBR; 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM.

Re: My First Recap (Photos & Video)

One would think that as long as they fit, that the larger diameter caps would actually be prefered.

If manufacturing low ESR caps in small sizes was easy to do then why is it so hard to find certain ones in small sizes? I havn't cheked the specs, but for any given series i expect that a larger cap would have a lower ESR rating than a smaller cap of the same value.

Comment

Nice job

Nothing more satisfying than fixing something yourself that would otherwise be junk, and having it turn out nice as well.

Comment

Nice job indeed!
        “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
        We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Nex time, take the CPU out of the socket first , and its a good idea to remove the battery too.

Comment

Thanks guys, indeed it was really good to pick this out from the "trash" waiting line and reviving it.

Harvey, you are right, Bat and CPU out before any job like this.

I did take them out to do the Mobo wash, I also washed that system's PSU crowded with dirt. So cool to see that full PSU covered in water!
            I don't know if anyone here have ever tried the Dipping method on PSU's before... It sure worked! Thumbs up for Simple Green (concentrated) and distilled water and to accelerate the drying process I used a bit of 70% alcohol.

But to be honest I never thought all these components where working.

Comment

Really nice job, alot better then my botch jobs. Good to see someone still has their head screwed on properly in this world and able to use it well.
              Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
              X