Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heres the deal.

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
    Well....for a one time job, or maybe you'll want to do more of it, a $15 soldering iron from Radio Shack, a $3 spool of solder wick, and $3 in capacitor is good.

Do you have to give the TV back? Or can you keep it....?
    He said if I can fix it more power to you.. So I can keep it... The only thing is we already have a TV that size.. so I dunno if I'll sell it or not...

Comment

Just ordered 12 new caps and will be getting the soldering equipment later today, all I gotta do is figure out how to take those caps off and solder on the new ones and hopefully the TV works. You guys are the best!! Thanks to everyone on all your help I'll keep you guys in touch once I figure it all out!

Comment

Just one thing you need to know - always PULL on the old cap. Alternate the soldering iron between both leads while pulling and it'll pull out. If you push on it you will strip the trace off the board and it'll be a PAIN to rework. Let me rephrase that - don't jiggle the cap left-right while desoldering. That's a big no-no. Just pull on it.

Before putting the new caps in clear the holes so the leads fit in easily, for the same reason mentioned. A desoldering pump (solder sucker) will be great help. Then all you have to do is solder the caps and trim the leads.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by marinesman215 View Post
          Just ordered 12 new caps and will be getting the soldering equipment later today, all I gotta do is figure out how to take those caps off and solder on the new ones and hopefully the TV works. You guys are the best!! Thanks to everyone on all your help I'll keep you guys in touch once I figure it all out!
          Just wondering. What caps did you buy. Brand/Series?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
            Just wondering. What caps did you buy. Brand/Series?
            Panasonic FC, also.. I'm not sure I understand desodering quite yet but I'll figure it out..

Comment

Grab a junked motherboard and practice on that.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I dont think I have any. :P I should be alright... But I'm just a stobborn like that. :P

Comment

Just about anything is good to practice on. If you have an old DVD player, VHS player...anything!

If you don't have anything, it's not that hard.

FCs are good for power supplies I'd say.

Comment

I dont need any other special equipment for a desolder.. right.. I just use the iron until it pulls out...? Then clean up the excess.. i gues by pulling it off then put new one in.. I can handle that

*EDIT*

Just watched some youtube videos... man does my post sound STUPID! lol I bet you pros.. and especially the unique are laughing so hard at me right now. Guess I need some soldering wick!
                    Last edited by marinesman215; 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM. Reason: I'm so stupid. :P

Comment

I attached pictures of my equipment... I just bought it and i think the solder wire i got is too big.... i saw i needed. .032.. and this one is .064... will i have to go back and get the smaller one.. or will this be okay..?
                      Attached Files

Comment

This stuff is useless IMHO. Way too clumsy.

Comment

I read the reviews.. and for what I need it for.. this one time thing I can manage... Besides.. If I like fixing these caps and wanna do that some more.. I'll upgrade. :P

Comment

Beginners need good equipment to work with, otherwise things get just messy and they give up.

Comment

I used to work on motherboards with a similar soldering gun. It'll do if you are careful. Its main advantage is that it heats up quickly. Its disadvantages: heavy, not accurate, risk of bridging traces. For capacitors it's going to do fine.

If you're being serious about your new hobby, get a pencil type soldering iron. Keep the soldering gun for larger parts.

Comment

Yeah I don't like soldering guns at all. A regular iron is much easier to work with. For the price, Radio Shack irons aren't terrible, but a quality Weller makes work 100X easier.

Otherwise, looks alright. You don't need silver solder. 63/37 is excellent to work with (lead/tin)

Comment

Weller is overkill for a starter.

Comment

Weller WLC100 was my first station/iron for electronics. Cost me $40 and it's a great iron.

You don't have to go buy a $200 digital station but something a little better than a Radio Shack makes life much easier.

If you think you are interested in electronics, don't spend $20 now and then buy a better iron down the road. Just spend the money now.

Comment

Eh. Poor stuff makes you want to give up on what you do.

It is sad to see people use cheap-shit irons, had to sand down the tip to make solder adhere to it. And afterwards it was moderately good to use.

But compared to 45W weller ... It is junk.

Also. Spending 20$ on an iron and then 40$ on a new one is throwing those 20$ away or buying 40$ iron for 60$ ...

Waaaste of money ...

Comment

true but if I only use it once and bought the 40$ one it's a waste of 20 in the other direction. but I'm not trying to be an @$$ but I really do appreciate the help. if not it was actually 8$... hehe... it's only 8$ if I get serious.

Comment

That is true. But you don't buy tools only for one use )

Comment

Working...
                                          X