Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mackie SRM450: 120hz hum with no signal from audio input...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mackie SRM450: 120hz hum with no signal from audio input...

I'm working on a 2-way 15" powered speaker: Mackie SRM450.

At a show, it slowly lost volume until it stopped working. Opened it up: blown fuse. Threw in another fuse, turned it on and immediately blew it as well.

Tested both rails (one for high pass and one for low pass) and pretty much the entire low pass rail had shorted rectifiers and transistors.

Swapped the entire blown rail along with the 1/4 watt resistors on the low and high pass sides (probably overkill) as well as all of the larger resistors connected to the rail. Also swapped the (4) 6800uf 50v caps in the power section.

Now when it powers on it doesn't blow the fuse, but a loud bassy 120hz HUM comes through the speaker, with no control over the volume from the gain knob. I can't get any signal coming from the input section either. I double checked the chassis grounds to make sure the connections were nice and tight.

Also, when I turn it on it POPS with the green power indicator LED turning on. Soft turn off though.

Any ideas or advice on this would be VERY much appreciated.

Here's the service manual with schematics:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ie_SRM450.html

Re: Mackie SRM450: 120hz hum with no signal from audio input...

Could be AC hum not being filtered properly. Verify you replaced the caps polarity correctly. Couldn't download schematic. My system abit slow today. Look at Output Transistors or ICs. Measure the VCC to them are correct.

Comment

if there is a pair of smoothing caps after the power rectifiers then start there.

Comment

on page6
        check the 2 rectifiers and the 4 6800uf caps

Comment

This is BI-AMP powered speakers, so if the bass amp is not working (it blew up as indicated on post 1), I would expect that the tweeter amplifier will be working and putting out sound, unless the Tweeter (HIGH-FREQ. AMP) also failed. I would check all the output voltage on page 6 to make sure they are present with correct voltages as shown. I would also check all the works that have been done to make sure the correct parts are used and installed properly.
          BTW, the woofer amp is Class-G power rail switching set up type.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by budm; 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the responses everybody. I'll do all of the above and report what I find out.

Comment

Referencing page 6 of the schematic I posted, I get these results:

45v- is: -46.3v actual
              45v+ is: +46.3v actual

80v- is: -93.6v actual
              80v+ is: +93.5v actual

15v+ is: +14.2v actual
              15v- is: -14.2v actual

I've got the 2 main rectifiers, "D55" and "D56" in the mail, as well as the 4 filtering caps near the 15v + and - (C157, C158, C156, C165).

Hopefully that'll solve this problem. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for your responses.

Comment

why not just test the old ones?

Comment

I get mixed readings with the old rectifiers, and the capacitance function on my multimeter simply doesn't work :-\

So while I work on getting a new meter and the parts are only a few bucks anyway, I'll just shoot for replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by DJDoubleBass View Post
                    I get mixed readings with the old rectifiers, and the capacitance function on my multimeter simply doesn't work :-\

So while I work on getting a new meter and the parts are only a few bucks anyway, I'll just shoot for replacing them.
                    you can test them with Ohm settings from the meter.
                    ofc if that is working to.
                    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I mean, of course you can test a cap with the ohm setting to see if it's open, but can you test for it's value?

Comment

120hz is almost always bad filter caps.test with esr meter or replace.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                          120hz is almost always bad filter caps.test with esr meter or replace.
                          Also heavy load caused by a bad amplifyer.
                          My pc
                          CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                          MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                          RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                          PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                          GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by DJDoubleBass View Post
                            I'm working on a 2-way 15" powered speaker: Mackie SRM450.

At a show, it slowly lost volume until it stopped working. Opened it up: blown fuse. Threw in another fuse, turned it on and immediately blew it as well.

Tested both rails (one for high pass and one for low pass) and pretty much the entire low pass rail had shorted rectifiers and transistors.

Swapped the entire blown rail along with the 1/4 watt resistors on the low and high pass sides (probably overkill) as well as all of the larger resistors connected to the rail. Also swapped the (4) 6800uf 50v caps in the power section.

Now when it powers on it doesn't blow the fuse, but a loud bassy 120hz HUM comes through the speaker, with no control over the volume from the gain knob. I can't get any signal coming from the input section either. I double checked the chassis grounds to make sure the connections were nice and tight.

Also, when I turn it on it POPS with the green power indicator LED turning on. Soft turn off though.

Any ideas or advice on this would be VERY much appreciated.

Here's the service manual with schematics:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ie_SRM450.html

Comment

Working...
                            X