Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issue with Westinghouse 19" LCD Monitor (large pics)

Ok, so here is my selection. I looked for FM at first, but FM was not available for 47uF 50v and 100uF 400v, so then I looked for FC and found 47uF. But it said FC's lifetime is only 1000 hours (?) or did they mean to say that it lasts 1000 hours if it has to work at 105 degree temp? Well, then TSHA seems to be the only one that matches the size and rating both. Pls let me know of any change since I did not place the order yet.

1 - P12927-ND CAP ELECT 22UF 50V FM RADIAL
    2 - P12389-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL
    3 - P12379-ND CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL
    1 - P12357-ND CAP 2200UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL
    1 - P10321-ND CAP 47UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL
    1 - P6843-ND CAPACITOR 100UF 400V ELECT TSHA

That makes a total 9 caps. BTW, I can substitute one 1000uF 10v with a 1000uF 25v, right?

And thanks eguevarae. Do I need to take the mosfets off the board before checking for short?

Comment

Originally posted by leprocoa
      But it said FC's lifetime is only 1000 hours (?) or did they mean to say that it lasts 1000 hours if it has to work at 105 degree temp?
      Yes, it means 1000 hours at 105C. I believe the math is for every 10C increase in temp, the lifespan decreases by 1/2. Conversely, for every 10C decrease in temp, lifespan increases by 2x.

1 - P12927-ND CAP ELECT 22UF 50V FM RADIAL
      2 - P12389-ND CAP 470UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL
      3 - P12379-ND CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL
      1 - P12357-ND CAP 2200UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL
      1 - P10321-ND CAP 47UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL
      1 - P6843-ND CAPACITOR 100UF 400V ELECT TSHA

That makes a total 9 caps. BTW, I can substitute one 1000uF 10v with a 1000uF 25v, right?
      You have the wrong voltage for 2200uF. In your original list in post #258, you have 2200uF, 25V, but you are ordering 2200uF 10V. That would not have worked.

Yes, you can substitute a higher voltage cap assuming it will fit in your space (diameter and height wise). PlainBill did point that out in his last sentence in post #259.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You noticed retiredcaps yeah, in my original post#258 i misread the voltage somehow, that should've been 10v. What do you think about the last i.e. 100UF 400V ELECT TSHA? If that one seems okay to you guys, then I can go ahead and place the order.

Comment

The big cap is made by Panasonic.

Originally posted by leprocoa
          What do you think about the last i.e. 100UF 400V ELECT TSHA?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
            The big cap is made by Panasonic.
            Sounds like I can go for it..

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
              see the link mentioned in previous post for measurements.

Yes, i have double and triple check polarity of caps that i replaced.
              I am new to the forum but have been lurking in the background for several days after my ACER AL1916W decided to stop working. Did the prescribed cap, FET, fuse replacement, but did not bring monitor back to life. I hooked everything back up and blew the F200 fuse again. Sounded very similar to the experience you had with a ViewSonic LCD. Were you ever able to fix the problem with that monitor? Would be very curious to know.

Thanks,
              kburns

Comment

Hello all again! So finally I replaced all the capacitors except the big one. I was too lazy for that one ... Infact the idea of bigger ones has less chance to go bad influenced me to try skipping that one, but the major reason was the new replacement cap I got from digi-key has short and very thick legs, still I could use that attaching two little pieces of copper wires if I really had to. But anyway, my TV/Monitor started working again. Thanks a lot retiredcaps, PlainBill, eguevarae. Just a little question. Is faulty capacitor the reason for electronic devices failure in most of the cases?

Comment

Originally posted by leprocoa View Post
                  Is faulty capacitor the reason for electronic devices failure in most of the cases?
                  I'm sure PlainBill with many years of experience in the actual electronics business will give you a more qualified answer.

In my world, enterprise networking, capacitor failure is a rarity. Software bugs caused 95% of the grief.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The question came up in my mind because of these two facts: 1. Going through this forum it looks to me like the prime suspects of hardware failure are the capacitors. 2. Gigabyte recently promoting their high-end motherboards emphasizing on the use of 50,000 hours solid capacitors. So, let's wait for PlainBill to come up with his comments..
                    Last edited by leprocoa; 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Without casting aspersions on retiredcaps, 99.9% of all problems can be traced to human error.

When repairing monitors, I would say that 2/3 of the problems can be resolved by replacing defective caps. This is because a 'bean counter' made a bad decision to save $.02 per capacitor, thus improving the profit margin by $.16 per monitor.

Other problems are related to the use of lead free solder (a government decision to reduce exposure to lead results in many actions that don't reduce exposure to lead); use of other inferior components (ditto the bean counters), and poor design techniques (the $!@@$E%@! engineer who decided to put capacitors where they would be heated by heat sinks).

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

First, thank you to all those that help out around here. It's a great feeling knowing that there's always someone that can help while we newer guys take some chances.

Second, this thread is perfect! I just pulled a Westinghouse LCM-19w4 out of our dumpster (it was sitting on a box on top :P ) and since it didn't have any physical damage and I've had great luck with these fixes in the past, decided to try it out. When I did, it turns on for about a second and will display properly, but with horizontal interference lines jumping all over the place and then goes black.

My first instinct was that either a cap was leaking, but still trying and either tripping a fuse or shorting and the lines were some sort of noise in the signal probably from whatever is causing it to go black.

Long story short, the two 1000uF CapXon and two 220uF CapXon are bulging and nothing else appears wrong. I'll post pictures if anyone thinks there might be another culprit, but mostly I'm coming on here to ask if my replacements were good choices or not. I'll probably just swap the Capxons other than the 120uF 400v guy since the rest seem okay and I'd like to make sure of the problem before I risk causing another.

Looking at mouser it seems that these are likely candidates and the approximate right sizes:
                        UPS1E221MPD
                        UVZ1E102MPD1CM
                        UVK1H220MDD for the little one

Thanks for the help.

PS Is there a way to change usernames? I sort of forgot I had an account and wouldn't mind a different one.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
                          just pulled a Westinghouse LCM-19w4 out of our dumpster .

but mostly I'm coming on here to ask if my replacements were good choices or not.

Looking at mouser it seems that these are likely candidates and the approximate right sizes:
                          UPS1E221MPD
                          UVZ1E102MPD1CM
                          UVK1H220MDD for the little one
                          Great dumpster find.

The recommended caps can be found at "Where can I buy replacement capacitors"

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Nichicon is listed, but your Nichicon series choices at mouser (PS, VZ, VK) are not listed in the recommended list.

Mouser carries the Panasonic FC and FM series (on the recommended list).
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the catch. I guess I still have a good way to go.
                            In that case though, how about these?
                            EEU-FC1H220
                            EEU-FC1E102L
                            EEU-FC1E221

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              Mouser carries the Panasonic FC and FM series (on the recommended list).
                              I second that.
                              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050
                                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thanks for the catch. I guess I still have a good way to go.
                                In that case though, how about these?
                                EEU-FC1H220
                                EEU-FC1E102L
                                EEU-FC1E221
                                Your original Nichicon choices would have probably worked fine, but folks here are more exact. Panasonic FC is fine.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All right, order placed. It looks like the 22uFs are backordered and since that one seems perfectly fine and is isolated (at least heat wise) from the others, I'll hold off on him for now.

Thanks again and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

All right, order placed.
                                    PCBONEZ has exact instructions on how to get the correct series. See posts at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10546

I automatically defaulted to Panasonic FM and he starts at post #3.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hmm, well it looks like the second time around, I was a little careless and got the 1000uF in 30mm instead of 20. Now going back, I'm not seeing any caps that are both the right size and are on the recommended list.
                                      Any suggestions?
                                      Filtered Results

Comment

I was a little careless and got the 1000uF in 30mm instead of 20.
                                        Panasonic FM 1000uF 25V series does come in 20mm height. See

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...wWEhzvqOZDM%3d

The diameter is 12.5mm. Do you have enough space for the diameter?
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you, but I don't believe so actually. I could be wrong, but I'm not quite confident that it would fit. If someone else with more experience says it will, then giddy up, but otherwise, any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                          X