Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Desktop Motherboards, Graphics Cards, and PC Peripherals
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2021, 12:09 AM   #1
lookimback
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Buffalo, NY
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Surface mount capacitor on my desktop just exploded.

I'm not sure who jumped higher, me or the cat, but it was loud as hell. I guess it's time to recap it.

Edit: It's through hole not surface mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_010643.jpg (405.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_010816.jpg (434.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by lookimback; 01-20-2021 at 12:24 AM..
lookimback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
lookimback
Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: Surface mount capacitor on my desktop just exploded.

Probably a good thing I decided to change the other three which were parallel with the one that blew up. The worst was over 40 ohms esr. The other two were 10 and 6 ohms. Capacitance were around 190uf. I didn't have any 270uf caps, so I used two 220uf and two 330uf. I figured since they were all parallel, it should work if I just got the total capacitance close to what it originally was. I'll order caps from Digikey for the entire board later in the week. For now, I just need it to work, and so far it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210120_025005.jpg (1.24 MB, 17 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Clutchbox
Cap Clutcher

City & State: NL
My Country: The Netherlands
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Fyi, the failed polymer caps are Elite RP series.

Polymer failures are rare, so i don't put much trust in Elite polymer caps if i see them in any device.
Clutchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
lookimback
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchbox View Post
Fyi, the failed polymer caps are Elite RP series.

Polymer failures are rare, so i don't put much trust in Elite polymer caps if i see them in any device.
Thank you. The machine is probably 10 years old. If I recall correct, the old HD had 46,000 hours on it. That was replaced a couple years ago with an SSD. It's a Digital Cafe IC780M-A v2.0 motherboard with an AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition CPU. I bought it non-working for $100 a few years ago from a friend who garbage picked it. Replaced a couple bad caps in the PSU and that was fine for another two years, then I replaced it with a Corsair RM850X just because I got tired of it sounding like a jet engine in my office. The new PSU is rated about 35% higher than the system needs, and the fan never runs. I use it as a network server and it hosts my self-written business software and database. It serves it's purpose, and though it's probably slow by today's standards, it's more than sufficient for my needs. So, if I decide to recap the entire board, should I replace polymer caps with polymer caps? Or are regular aluminum electrolytics OK. For now, I just used some aluminum electrolytics which I had, and it's working. I may just buy a new motherboard and reuse everything else, but it works, so it doesn't make much sense at this point.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
ChaosLegionnaire
HC Overclocker

City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz

depends on how long more do u wanna continue using the system for. if u still wanna use it till it drops then recap with japanese polymers like panasonic oscon sepc series or chemicon npcap psc series.
ChaosLegionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
lookimback
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
depends on how long more do u wanna continue using the system for. if u still wanna use it till it drops then recap with japanese polymers like panasonic oscon sepc series or chemicon npcap psc series.
If I can get another year out of it I'll probably just replace it. I think since it's working, I'll just order the 4 polymers which went bad so I'll have them if the ones I used fail.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Wow, I've heard of polymer caps failing infrequently before, but never so dramatic like this. Looks like the common notion that polymer caps even from crap manufacturers are OK must not be true. So I guess back it is to the known good Japanese brands, even for polymers.

Then again, since you say the new PSU's fan never runs due to it not being loaded enough, I wonder if those polymer caps were running too hot. Those 1st gen quad-core Phenoms are known to push out a lot of heat - even sitting idle. Making sure the CPU VRM area (and whole motherboard in the PC) stay cool would be something to check for. As much as people praise PSUs that run passively cooled, I don't think they are suitable for every PC. Some cases simply rely on the PSU and rear exhaust fan to keep the system cool inside.

Last edited by momaka; 01-27-2021 at 03:20 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #8
lookimback
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Wow, I've heard of polymer caps failing infrequently before, but never so dramatic like this. Looks like the common notion that polymer caps even from crap manufacturers are OK must not be true. So I guess back it is to the known good Japanese brands, even for polymers.

Then again, since you say the new PSU's fan never runs due to it not being loaded enough, I wonder if those polymer caps were running too hot. Those 1st gen quad-core Phenoms are known to push out a lot of heat - even sitting idle. Making sure the CPU VRM area (and whole motherboard in the PC) stay cool would be something to check for. As much as people praise PSUs that run passively cooled, I don't think they are suitable for every PC. Some cases simply rely on the PSU and rear exhaust fan to keep the system cool inside.
The temp virtually anywhere on the board is about 120F. Directly under the CPU it's about 144F. I don't actually have a rear case fan running either, but I keep the side panel off. That may be a contributing factor. The bearings began squealing about a year ago and I unplugged it and left the side off. Kind of forgot about it until just now. Can you or anyone else recommend a 92mm fan (bolt pattern is about 115mm diagonally). It has 3 wires. I don't care about cost, I just want it silent.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #9
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookimback View Post
The temp virtually anywhere on the board is about 120F. Directly under the CPU it's about 144F.
Ouch!
That is very hot, especially the CPU VRM at 144F (62.2C)! That means the CPU could be running even hotter. If it's not, then your monitoring software might be reporting incorrectly (which IMO is often the case with AM2 and newer AMD CPUs - they seem to under-report temperatures for some reason, though it also seems motherboard-dependent.)

If you have fan control options in BIOS, you might want to turn up the CPU fan a bit. While polymer caps are supposed to be much tougher than electrolytic ones, those high CPU VRM temperatures still aren't good for them in the long run.

Quote:
Can you or anyone else recommend a 92mm fan (bolt pattern is about 115mm diagonally). It has 3 wires. I don't care about cost, I just want it silent.
Hmm. Not sure, since 92 mm fans are a bit odd-ball, in a sense that most computers stores don't usually have many choices (if any) available, unlike 120 mm and 140 mm fans, which you can find plenty of high quality ones that are silent.

With that said, you could check Digikey or Mouser. I've bought name-brand replacement 80 mm ball bearing fans from there (San Ace, Panaflo, Nidec, etc.) and you can check their data sheets to see how loud they are and how much air they push. Ball bearing ones will give you longer life but are usually louder. Perhaps look for a good name-brand sleeve bearing fan.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
SluggerB

City & State: Philadelphia, PA
My Country: US
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Can you or anyone else recommend a 92mm fan (bolt pattern is about 115mm diagonally). It has 3 wires. I don't care about cost, I just want it silent.
I like SilenX fans. Amazon sells them
SluggerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech

Noctua made a 92mm fan. https://noctua.at/en/nf-a9-pwm
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #12
Per Hansson
Super Moderator

City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Fan has already been bought
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92525