No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Anyone know a place to by this T5a 250V radial type fuse?
    Yes, they are called an SR-5 style fuse and come in a vast number of current ratings, they are very common in LCD TV's and Monitors. You can get them from Digikey, a 5A slow acting fuse is $1.46 quantity 1 here is a link 5A 250v FUSE

If your fuse is blowing immediately then you need to check your bridge rectifier, D850 (I think, the angle on the picture makes it hard to be sure) for a short. You also need to check the primary side switching transistor Q850 for a short before switching on with a new fuse. Do those checks with the power cord unplugged please! If you find a shorted component then replace the supply, most of these type supplies can be obtained for less than $75

NOTE: If you don't know how to safely use a volt meter DON'T TRY THIS! Take it to someone who does, YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF! You have been warned!!

If you find no primary side short then the next step is to verify the power supply outputs, keep the the power supply unplugged from the inverter and the processor board for this test. Watch out for the heatsinks on the primary side of the supply they and all of the primary side components are at LINE VOLTAGE and will give you a nasty shock if you touch them. CAREFULLY! Power up the supply and check for voltage on the output connectors. You should find a solid +5v on the processor plug (more than one pin) and maybe a +12v as well, there will also be several ground connections and some logic connections as well.
    The inverter plug should be half ground connections and half +12v or +24v to run the inverters, along with two lines for inverter on/off and inverter brightness. If you don't find any output voltage or the voltages are fluctuating, replace the supply.

NOTE: If you don't know how to safely use a volt meter DON'T TRY THIS! Take it to someone who does, YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF! You have been warned!!

If the output voltages are present and stable then UNPLUG the POWER CORD. Let the power supply sit for 2 min to discharge the caps.

....... 2 min goes by.......

Reattach the processor power connection, again plug in the POWER CORD. Using the cautions mentioned above check if the output voltages are still the same. If they are not then you have a processor board putting too much load on the power supply, REPLACE the PROCESSOR board.

If all is looking good then UNPLUG the POWER CORD

........ wait 2 min ...........

Reattach the inverter power connection and test it like you did the processor power. BE CAREFUL there are dangerous voltages in these power supplies. The inverters typically put out around 2500v to light the ccfl tubes! EXERCISE GREAT CAUTION! If the inverter causes the supply voltage to drop then replace the inverter board.

If all the voltages are stable then you have a working power supply and your monitor should power up. Of course there are many other things besides a power supply that can cause it not to work, <Bummer>

GB

Comment

RacerX,
      I have not checked that fuse. I'm not sure I understand how a blown fuse could cause the symptoms I describe (menus system slowing down, but still working; sync with signal slowing down, but still, eventually working, if the power cord unplugged/replugged). It seems like a blown fuse would stay blown and cause constant (unchanging over time) problems.

Comment

@tvandlcdrepair or anyone who knows

Where can I buy this power supply? I have been googling and can't come up with anything. Thanks.
        Last edited by CATPart; 04-24-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Also, could you explain how I can test the transistor and rectifier for shorts?

I can see that my fuse has some black residue coming from under it, so I am guessing it has blown.

my monitor just turned off suddenly while using it. if the easiest thing to try is replacing the power supply then I will do that. I do have an ohm meter, so I should at least check for shorts like you have mentioned.

Thanks for help

Comment

Just in case anyone has a Gateway FPD2485W monitor that displays symptoms like the ones I described at the top of this post. I thought I'd post a final update to let people know what they can expect if they decide to tackle this on their own. I ended up selling (for shipping cost plus a few dollars) this unit to a person who had much more technical know-how, and more time than I could afford. He was gracious enough to let me know what he found when he dug in. From him:

...I ordered a few 497-1241-1-ND from Digikey to replace the dud regulators (AS1117L-33, there are 2 of them on the logic board and 1 on the USB sub-board) and changed them out, and this corrected the issue with being able to start up again from sleep mode. However, it seems the logic board has sustained permanent damage to the video processor chip (not easily replaceable) because the touch controls are still funky. I may try to trace this down at some point just to make sure it's not the processor chip. I also suspect that the weak transformer may become an issue soon but until then it's definitely a beautiful LCD panel. Many thanks again for the practice, I really appreciate it.
            Lesson learned: it's likely to be more than just bad capacitors.

Comment

with that many issues i suspect it got spiked.
              and spills mess up the touch controls.
              if the scaler(video processor chip) were bad you would not be commenting on its being a beautiful panel.

Comment

I am brandnew to Badcaps and sending this to turn on full capability for my account. I'll use this to say that I am very impressed by you guys on this forum. You have given me the guts to just go ahead and try replacing the capacitors on my power board. I just ordered a complete set of caps. What can I lose for 17 bucks including shipping.
                Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by larrybrownsr View Post
                  I am brandnew to Badcaps and sending this to turn on full capability for my account. I'll use this to say that I am very impressed by you guys on this forum. You have given me the guts to just go ahead and try replacing the capacitors on my power board. I just ordered a complete set of caps. What can I lose for 17 bucks including shipping.
                  Thanks, everyone.
                  Hi and welcome! What kind of monitor? And what symptoms?
                  $17.00 seems like a lot of caps, where did you order from?
                  36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Thanks, for the welcome. My monitor is a Gateway FPD2485W. I've tried 3 different inputs: DVI, VGA, and RCA and all work the same. After sitting all night, when I first turn it on the logo shows for about a second, then the screen goes black. After a minute or two if I remove the input, wait a few seconds and apply it again the picture shows on the screen for less than a second and then black. After leaving everything on for about 10 minutes with the power indicator and the menu select indicators showing blue, I turn off the input, pause for a few seconds and turn the input back on and wait for a second or so, the picture shows on the screen. It is a little dim for a minute or so, but slowly gets to full brightness. The monitor is fine after that. I can change input among my PC, a TV tuner, and a DVD player with no problems. But if I turn it off via the power touch sensor or unplug it for a few minutes, I'm back into the problem again.
                    From the prices I've seen quoted here, I think I paid more than I should have ($14 + shipping) for a complete set of caps, but I liked the fact that LCDalternatives offered a complete set and I didn't have to search out each one of them.
                    If you think the caps won't help or you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate any and all comments.
                    Thanks - Larry (Mesa, AZ)

Comment

From the prices I've seen quoted here, I think I paid more than I should have ($14 + shipping) for a complete set of caps, but I liked the fact that LCDalternatives offered a complete set and I didn't have to search out each one of them.
                      If you think the caps won't help or you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate any and all comments.
                      Thanks - Larry (Mesa, AZ)
                      Recap as a first step then move on to other troubleshooting if that does not resolve the problem. LCDAlternatives seems to use good brands, so you are covered there. If you want to save a little money next time, put together a list of what you need and folks here will give suggestions on what to buy.

Hmm.. after looking at one of their other Gateway models (FPD1975W), their cap list is different than what I've seen for this model. Their website says there are 6 different cap values (total of 7) but I just had one open here a few days ago and replaced a total of 10 on the power board (only 3 different cap values; there weren't 1000uF, 680uF or 150uF caps on my board). Definitely double check what you receive versus what you need before you start working on it! If there is any doubt, post pics with your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
                        Recap as a first step then move on to other troubleshooting if that does not resolve the problem. LCDAlternatives seems to use good brands, so you are covered there. If you want to save a little money next time, put together a list of what you need and folks here will give suggestions on what to buy.

Hmm.. after looking at one of their other Gateway models (FPD1975W), their cap list is different than what I've seen for this model. Their website says there are 6 different cap values (total of 7) but I just had one open here a few days ago and replaced a total of 10 on the power board (only 3 different cap values; there weren't 1000uF, 680uF or 150uF caps on my board). Definitely double check what you receive versus what you need before you start working on it! If there is any doubt, post pics with your questions.
                        Thanks, Wrog. I'll follow all of your suggestions and let you know how things work out. It'll most likely be a while before I work up the guts to try it, though. Since my monitor does work OK after a 10 to 15 minute worm-up. You wouldn't know where I could get a schematic diagram of this monitor, would you?

Comment

I'd be veryt surprised if the re-cap didn't fix it.
                          I've done 2 Gateway monitors and both were just caps.

Also, just because it works after warm-up doesn't mean you should run it.
                          If the caps are bad, other components will be suffering due to ripple, possible over-voltage etc.
                          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Thanks, Wrog. I'll follow all of your suggestions and let you know how things work out. It'll most likely be a while before I work up the guts to try it, though. Since my monitor does work OK after a 10 to 15 minute worm-up. You wouldn't know where I could get a schematic diagram of this monitor, would you?
                            I haven't seen any schematics posted for any Gateway monitors, but Plainbill has posted many helpful descriptions of how monitors work from a technical standpoint (Example). As smason has already stated, I wouldn't wait too long because you will do more damage if the monitor is in constant use with this condition. When you're all done replacing everything and it works, you'll think to yourself, "Now, that wasn't so hard!"

Comment

As smason has already stated, I wouldn't wait too long because you will do more damage if the monitor is in constant use with this condition. When you're all done replacing everything and it works, you'll think to yourself, "Now, that wasn't so hard!"
                              I sent one response to this, but I don't see it, so I'll try again:
                              Thanks, both of you guys, Wrog and SMason. I had not thought of the additional harm I could be doing by continuing to use it. I have turned it off and I'll work on it just as soon as the caps arrive.

Comment

...I have turned it off and I'll work on it just as soon as the caps arrive.
                                Even though the caps haven't arrived yet, I worked up the guts to take it apart. Sure enough, 2 caps on the power supply do appear to be swolen. That is a real spirit booster.

My biggest concern right now is trying to figure how I will be able to get the tiny cable connected back to the little Power On/Off, etc. indicator strip on the front trim. Where it connects was covered with a small piece of electrical tape. When I removed the tape, the cable came with it. It appears as if it was just connected and held in place by the tape.

There is what appears to be a connector on the small PC board on the front trim. It does have a small "lever" on it. I believe I should rotate the liver up vertical to the connector, slide the cable strip in under the lever with the 5 metal conductor strips facing down, away from the lever, then move the lever over parallel and in line with the connector.

If anyone sees this and thinks I'm full of pucky, please, let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Even though the caps haven't arrived yet, I worked up the guts to take it apart. Sure enough, 2 caps on the power supply do appear to be swolen. That is a real spirit booster.

My biggest concern right now is trying to figure how I will be able to get the tiny cable connected back to the little Power On/Off, etc. indicator strip on the front trim. Where it connects was covered with a small piece of electrical tape. When I removed the tape, the cable came with it. It appears as if it was just connected and held in place by the tape.

There is what appears to be a connector on the small PC board on the front trim. It does have a small "lever" on it. I believe I should rotate the liver up vertical to the connector, slide the cable strip in under the lever with the 5 metal conductor strips facing down, away from the lever, then move the lever over parallel and in line with the connector.

If anyone sees this and thinks I'm full of pucky, please, let me know. Thanks.
                                  You've got it exactly right... I mentioned in another thread (today, ironically) that I couldn't remember if the clip pulled out or swung upwards. Caps should arrive any day now, good luck with it!

Comment

Wrog, from the communications I have had with Scott (LCDAlternatives) I have come to trust him, so without naming you, I sent your message on to him and asked him to check on it in case he did have a problem of which he was unaware. I also checked his web site and compared his list with yours for the FPD1975W. Two very good things came from this that show Scott will work to make things right.

I believe your list was so drastically different from his is because there are actually 3 different versions of the 1975. I believe you must have seen the kit for the first version. It was very different from your list. However, the version J list is almost exactly the same as yours (it is not the same. I'll get to that in a momet). This misunderstanding has let Scott see that his web site needed to be more clear. He is in the process of re-doing his site to make it more clear that sometimes a model could have several versions that all need very different kits.

The other good that came from this is that Scott noticed the same thing I did: in the kit for version J the count for 2 caps that were off by 1 each. 1 count was 1 too many and the other was 1 too few. He, of course, has fixed that, too. I do like and trust this guy. If something is wrong, he takes action to fix it ASAP and you can't ask for more than that.

Comment

You've got it exactly right... I mentioned in another thread (today, ironically) that I couldn't remember if the clip pulled out or swung upwards. Caps should arrive any day now, good luck with it!
                                      The caps arrived and I was able to replace all of the caps on the power supply board without any problems. But, as I tried to insert the FFC into the clip connector on the plastic frame so I could test, one of the conductor strips on the FFC came loose and bent. When i tried to streighten it and perhaps superglue it back down on the FFC it broke off and I can't find it. Am I shafted or is there something I can do? Is the FFC available for sale anywhere? ...or am I able to peal back some of the plastic cover on the FFC and cut the tip off and use that? You have been great so far. I hope you can come up with some magic, now, Again, thank you, very much.

Comment

Yeeeehaaa!!! I took a tiny flat blade screwdriver and double magnifying glasses and carefully pealed back about 1/8" of the plastic cover on the FFC and trimed off the area where the trace was broken. I plugged it in and low and behold: my monitor works. So, it was the caps. I can't thank you guys enough for our advice and encouragement. I was so ready to just pack it up and send it off to a repair shop (for about $140). But you talked me into doing it myself and you are right. I feel great now! Thanks again. I owe you, big time.

Comment

Wrog, from the communications I have had with Scott (LCDAlternatives) I have come to trust him, so without naming you, I sent your message on to him and asked him to check on it in case he did have a problem of which he was unaware. I also checked his web site and compared his list with yours for the FPD1975W. Two very good things came from this that show Scott will work to make things right.

I believe your list was so drastically different from his is because there are actually 3 different versions of the 1975. I believe you must have seen the kit for the first version. It was very different from your list. However, the version J list is almost exactly the same as yours (it is not the same. I'll get to that in a momet). This misunderstanding has let Scott see that his web site needed to be more clear. He is in the process of re-doing his site to make it more clear that sometimes a model could have several versions that all need very different kits.

The other good that came from this is that Scott noticed the same thing I did: in the kit for version J the count for 2 caps that were off by 1 each. 1 count was 1 too many and the other was 1 too few. He, of course, has fixed that, too. I do like and trust this guy. If something is wrong, he takes action to fix it ASAP and you can't ask for more than that.
                                          That is really good to hear. Pre-made kits are very convenient but subject to confusion if there are multiple revisions (and if one happens to be bad/missing etc. there are no spares!). It's good to see that he's open to feedback and takes action quickly. I'm sure that will earn him a good amount of business and goodwill!

Comment

Working...
                                          X