Juniper SSG5 Dead Ethernet Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juniper SSG5 Dead Ethernet Ports

Picked up 2 SSG5's with dead ethernet ports and not really sure where to start to try and locate the problem. When turned on one has 2 ports that the activity light blinks once every so often, and the other has 1 port that does the same, which were taped over by the previous owner, so I assume they are not working. Not all of the ports on these are dead, I tried the ones without tape, 3 work on one and 4 on the other, both mostly on the right side, both have dead wan ports.

Looked at the caps, none of which appear to be bulging (will test tomorrow with multimeter), tested some surface mount resistors and caps near the ports but everything appeared to be normal.

I'll try to get some internal pictures uploaded tomorrow.

Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Juniper SSG5 Dead Ethernet Ports

Interesting. While Juniper is a pretty reputable brand, of the 3 devices we have, all 3 have been replaced once, including the SSG5, so from my sample set, 100% failure rate.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, I may still have the old SSG5 I'll have to look for it.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Aw shit, the datacenter I have all of my servers in just bought new Juniper stuff... Should I move elsewhere? lol

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Aw shit, the datacenter I have all of my servers in just bought new Juniper stuff... Should I move elsewhere? lol
        The replacements for 2 units that failed first (one lasted 20 seconds, the other a week) have been running fine for several years, so I'd say you're ok.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Well I think I'm making a bit of progress lol. This board is really confusing since everything is testing good, until I tried components after the magnetics for the interfaces. Some resistors are testing way low, I'll have to remove them to verify that. Before the magnetics I'm getting 2.56v, which I'm not sure is what is expected or not.

I also found this which was interesting:

Testing the tx/rx termination resistance revealed that most are way off except for one which was 150ohms exactly. It says in that guide to replace the physical connectors but that doesn't seem like it would make a difference unless the termination resistors were inside the shielding, which it appears (to me) on the juniper that they are not.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
            While Juniper is a pretty reputable brand,
            Juniper, like other big companies, has bought out other companies and simply rebranded the products under the Juniper name.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X