Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS with GigE and RAID

Hi,
    I need NAS with gigabit ethernet and capability for 4-6 SATA disks.
    Must support at least some of the following RAID levels: 0,1,5,10
    Thanks!

Re: NAS with GigE and RAID

Nevermind, looks like I would need to spend like $600 for a pre-made NAS with these capabilities. Might just set up a small server for this

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Nevermind, looks like I would need to spend like $600 for a pre-made NAS with these capabilities. Might just set up a small server for this
      I found the same problem.
      seems much cheaper to use a old pc.
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Hmm, I just did one on an 6 year old desktop, for free. Mind you, the desktop only has 4 SATA ports, so it's limited, but it works great. Gig-E, RAID 1 5 6 or 10.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I spent 3800 on my server.
          $420 norco case 24 hot swap bays 8087 sas/sata backplanes
          $199 supermicro board
          2 or $3something on E3-1230 cpu
          $120 16GB of ECC Kingston Ram,
          $429 each for two LSI HBA 4 Port 8087 cards,
          $169 each, eight 3TB drives
          and a couple of other things. I moved the old corsair 750w and 6 1TB sammies, two WD RE 500GB, two seagate 1.5TB and a 2TB sammy from my old fileserver to the this new one.
          I bought a USB 3.0 card for my mythtv usb tuners, and recently my first seagate cheetah 15K drive to fool around with, I was disappointed with it, since it's performance sucked ass according to other drives from WD and Hitachi. That's why it was a refurb on newegg and so damn cheap $54. I end up using it to migrate the O/S on the old maxtor pata drive.

I used my vacation pay and some money I had saved up for a road-trip that never happened. I finally paid it off last month. It was built in June 2012.

I'll be honest, I'm very proud of it and I treat it as my baby, you guys have your cars, I have my server.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 01-15-2013, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Nice! Do you colo it or do you have it at your place?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Nice! Do you colo it or do you have it at your place?
              Chilling at my place.

It's my fileserver, mythtv/mysql/httpd, print server using CUPS, then running in KVM is pfsense router, personal web server, pxe boot server, and WSUS server.

Comment

Try synology.....
                http://www.synology.com/products/pro..._name=DS412%2B

quite gd actually

Comment

Running a old server for this is fine untill you need to move it (small and portable) then true NAS devices shine.
                  Gigabit Ethernet is a plus but only if the network you connect to has it as well as the machines on the network.
                  Raid is a total waste speed wise (Raid 0), and it is much cheaper to just backup the NAS than to a run a Raid 1 etc. Unless you are doing serious data backup for a real business like a bank etc just grab a single or dual drive drive Nas with 100Mbs and work from there.

Comment

get an old computer /w a gbie nic. Linux server /w MDADM raid (not in raid 5)

I have a poweredge 1800 that came with two 147 scsi drives and a PCI-X scsi raid controller /w ram and batt

Just replaced the two 5'1/2 bays with sata hot swaps and 1tb WD blacks in raid 1

have a gb switch and can download and upload shit sooo fast off that fucker

I also have a vtrak 15100 (bought from goodwill for $100 thinking it was a server). Not sure if i'll ever do anything with that fucker, I know it works. I even have the ext scsi cable and terminator. But its sata 150
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                    X