PS4 loses date/time settings every time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PS4 loses date/time settings every time

True to a degree and I must admit, the outside image is top notch, excellent, it certainly fooled me when I first came here...what do I mean by that: as I previously ranted in other posts of mine, which I can't help doing every now and then to let off steam, the work environment is far from ideal - with something this big and fancy, you'd expect only top quality tools and conditions, but no - far from it. Quite the opposite - MUCH worse than my former shop which would probably be less than a fraction of this one, if that and that was a small apartment ! That's the way it goes I'm afraid.

I digress....
    Wattevah...

Comment

Another thing I just remembered is that Mr. G said at one point that the problem might be the "clock" signal...now I'm a bit skeptical about that, I mean, not to contradict someone who's been in the electronics business some 20 years more than me, but just because it's got the name "clock" in it, doesn't mean it generates the TIME What he's referring to is obviously the clock circuit with the crystal and all that, but my theory is that if this were faulty in any way, we wouldn't have a PS4 that turns on with picture on screen, connects to wi-fi and plays sound and all that...
      Wattevah...

Comment

well, if you want to shut him up, check the 32KHz crystal is running with a frequency counter or good meter.

Comment

I haven't seen any evidence that a "drifted off crystal" doesn't generate any time. As long as the crystal is working everything else should too. If the crystal is not "quite on the spot" it will result in time going faster or slower. Usually as the crystals age they drift down in frequency. This can be compensated by adding a little more capacitance at the crystal.
          I am siding with stj on the battery voltage not getting there where it should be.

Comment

most faults i'v seen with crystals are either total failure, or massive shifts - like moving the decimal point.

besides, it's more to shut up the guy who mentioned the "clock" signal than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              most faults i'v seen with crystals are either total failure, or massive shifts - like moving the decimal point.

besides, it's more to shut up the guy who mentioned the "clock" signal than anything.
              right on. Exactly my thinking stj.

Comment

most faults i'v seen with crystals are either total failure, or massive shifts
                Just my thought: a "clock" in this case does not refer to time ONLY - there's other functions that it governs which wouldn't have worked as well as they do...like the system turning on AT ALL and actually displaying stuff....all those rely on the clock signal.
                Wattevah...

Comment

not that clock - there are many.
                  modern systems usually have a crystal running at say 14.318MHz that runs a PLL chip that outputs lots of different clocks all syncronised to the crystal.

but it's seperate from the RTC because it's power hungry and would trash a battery.

Comment

for fun i searched google for the answer last night . some hits said solved but wasn't solved .
                    https://www.google.com/search?q=Ce30...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                    Last edited by petehall347; 07-27-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                      for fun i searched google for the answer last night . some hits said solved but wasn't solved .
                      https://www.google.com/search?q=Ce30...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                      Yeh, I couldn't find a definite fix for that also, but maybe it's somehow related to the RTC issue in some way. I can understand it throwing that error if the clock was off (like any browser refusing to connect if the clock in Windows is way off), but it doesn't work even after setting the time...
                      Last edited by Dannyx; 07-28-2019, 03:24 AM.
                      Wattevah...

Comment

did you trace the battery line yet?

Comment

did you trace the battery line yet?
                          Nope - I don't have it on hand. The guy took it home, but he said he'll bring it back to me specifically for further digging. He's a colleague of mine.
                          Wattevah...

Comment

while you are at it and if you have the capability, measure the current draw on the battery. It is going to be really small, so you have to have special gear for that.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                              while you are at it and if you have the capability, measure the current draw on the battery. It is going to be really small, so you have to have special gear for that.
                              Hmmm...I have an Aneng meter which is supposedly sensitive enough to measure small values like that. The battery wasn't flat when I pulled it out if that's what you were thinking. Getting it in series with the battery might be the trickiest part...
                              Wattevah...

Comment

the point of is to see IF there is any kind of current draw. If no current is drawn, then the question is why isn't there any...

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                  the point of is to see IF there is any kind of current draw. If no current is drawn, then the question is why isn't there any...
                                  Makes sense. I'm expecting it to be very low, in the order of uAmps maybe...
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

yes, the draw will be very low. A regular current meter won't cut it here.

Comment

too much talk - just follow the damned track!

Comment

True...now I just have to get my hands on it again. The chap hasn't shown up the past few days around here...
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

change cmos battery brother

Comment

Working...
                                          X