MSI 865PE Neo2-P (MS-6728) does not POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 865PE Neo2-P (MS-6728) does not POST

Gotten this free faulty motherboard MSI 865PE Neo2-P that does not POST. CPU fan is spinning, POST card error code is d4b0. According to user manual, it is using AMIBIOS. No visible bloated caps, in circuit ESR reading for all caps quite normal.

d4 error code :- uncompressed RUNTIME code
    b0 error code :- uncompressed SETUP code for hot-key

Has the following caps :-

KZG 1500uF 6.3V (x8) beside CPU
    KZG 1500uF 16V (x4) near MOSFETs
    KZG 1000uF 6.3V (x7)
    KZG 470uF 10V (x6)
    KZG 470uF 6.3V (x5)

Any suggestion if I should desolder the caps near CPU to test?

Re: MSI 865PE Neo2-P (MS-6728) does not POST

update, initially i ignored those 470uF caps. found one 470uF 6.3V in-circuit esr to be 0.7. i desoldered it and measured again, found to be 0.9. will be going to buy replacement cap soon ...

Comment

those are nippon chemicon. good brand, but that model is heat-sensitive and commonly fails in motherboards. they should be brown.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

sounds like a failure to uncompress the bios.
        somebody had a flash fail?

Comment

not sure about flash failed. the guy who gave me told me cannot install windows but i cannot even get it POST!

changed the defective 470uF 6.3V but the diagnostic POST card, error code keeps changing. something new.

Comment

removing the battery does not clear cmos, using the jumper to clear works. i managed to get a POST after jumper clearing cmos. tried installing windows xp, after booting up from cdrom, saw some text messages. it then goes into a blank screen.

i thought it was bios giving problem, so i flashed to latest version. flashing bios successful message was shown on screen and so i rebooted after that.

unable to get a POST after that, guessed i had damaged it.

Comment

Is this a known good p/s? Or, do you have a different p/s to test?

Also, CMOS battery good, right?

I should add that from what I have read, a successful write message means your flash process did not fail. So, fault is likely elsewhere especially your POST card gives different codes.
              Last edited by lucky13; 07-16-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

a successful write message means your flash process did not fail
                Not necessarily

That should be true if booted into DOS, with no memory managers in CONFIG.SYS

If done from a DOS prompt under Windows, anything is possible
                better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

lucky13,

it is a known good psu. working on another motherboard. anyway, i used another psu to test, same result. cmos battery is a new piece, measured it is 3.25V.

i would say now the POST card error code stays at D4 AF. as this is a MSI motherboard, it came with a D-bracket. the D-bracket has 4 diagnostic LEDs.
                  the LED1 is green, while LEDs 2-4 are red. it should be interpreted as "Early Chipset Initialization". does it mean, NB or SB is gone?

pfrcom,

i flashed the bios via a bootable floppy drive, the most primitive method.

Comment

check your north / southbridge for any burn marks

Years ago, I had one of a board with the same symptoms shown on d-led and upon inspection of the southbridge, a faint burn mark is found.

Comment

I have an MS-6758 "875P Neo" board, which is probably similar.
                      I can get it to boot but it's unstable because I can't find a PSU that can actually run the thing. It's a pig.
                      So it's possible your PSUs are just overloaded trying to tow this particular board. Not that I'd go buying another one just on the theory.

Comment

if i pressed the power button for 4-5s, it can power off. so the southbridge should be working. inpection of the north bridge, dont see any burnt mark.

so i should ditch my thought of saving this board?

Comment

btw, anyone knows of a simple test for the north bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by gobbler
                            if i pressed the power button for 4-5s, it can power off. so the southbridge should be working. inpection of the north bridge, dont see any burnt mark.
                            LOL, I have several boards "saved up" that all do just that. Hopefully one day I will come across a solution.

Comment

further testing, i noticed the agp graphic card hsf is not even warm. there is a mosfet directly under the end of agp slot, seems to be short after testing with multimeter. since it is directly under the agp slot, it is not possible to take the mosfet out without taking the agp slot socket.

also, i tested with a pci graphic card, still no display. guessed i give up hope on this board. :P

Comment

bump
                                As mobos hang onto traits, I too found a mosfet short on a ms6728, all caps good.
                                it got hot enough to melt the paint and reveal copper, yet shut off fast enough to leave everything alone.
                                where to get part #s for mosfet?
                                the focus on caps has bewildered me for along time. It is not the caps. it is the mosfets bothering the weaker.
                                on a lighter note, I read the basic function hasn't changed since 1925. Oh the electronics is so advanced and awe inspiring...

Comment

Originally posted by gobbler View Post
                                  further testing, i noticed the agp graphic card hsf is not even warm. there is a mosfet directly under the end of agp slot, seems to be short after testing with multimeter. since it is directly under the agp slot, it is not possible to take the mosfet out without taking the agp slot socket.

also, i tested with a pci graphic card, still no display. guessed i give up hope on this board. :P
                                  Any new about that msi? or it's just lying on the cementery
                                  I LOVE WWW.BADCAPS.NET

Comment

Working...
                                  X