Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung LCD TV LN40B530P7N Distorted Color Picture

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ah I always hated buying parts from china. Also found this one, I don't mind spending an extra $7 for a little faster shipping though. These ones will work too right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-E-CMOS...item20d3489874

Comment

They look fine.
        Bear in mind all US sellers are doing is buying them from China. The only difference is better service and support.

Practice removing ICs like that on dead motherboards, soundcards etc before moving to the T-con board.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have a hot air gun, would it be easier to remove that way?
          Last edited by Glitcher; 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Hot air works good; cover all but the IC you want to remove with foil. Before replacing the IC clean the pads with solder wick and use plenty of flux when putting the new IC on. The heat pad in the middle is important. Use a tiny bit of solder paste on the PCB (use the same amount as you would use for a CPU heatsink, if the CPU heatsink were as small as the pad.) Solder paste is very slightly adhesive, so you can use it to help you hold down the chip. Solder four corners, then flood all the pins and wick up the excess. Then heat the IC with a hot air gun (limit 300°C) for about a minute on the bottom of the board to solder the heatpad. With practice I am able to do one of those chips (generally, not simply on T-con) in about 10 minutes.
            Last edited by tom66; 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Looks like I got the hard part, I was able to remove the IC successfully! At first I thought I ripped off a couple of traces but it was just the really dried up solder. Hopefully I didn't overheat anything that was near around it too much (even with the foil) that's the only concern I have. It doesn't have the heatpad in the middle so it should be easier to replace with a new one. Time to order the new one.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Glitcher; 05-28-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

The pads look perfect to me.

Looks like the reason these gamma chip may be dying is due to the lack of heat pad. The chip itself has one; they haven't used it so it will run a lot hotter. Like running a CPU without a heatsink, the lifetime is much shorter. I recommend adding a small heatsink to the IC after this repair as this is the case. For example:
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-...item232b590605

Comment

Since the other chips have those rubber pieces on them that also attaches to the metal plate which covers the entire tcon, should I put one of those on the gamma chip for the heat to transfer to the metal plate? Not sure if I would be able to screw on the metal plate if there was a heatsink on.

Comment

That could work too. I forgot about the shield.

Comment

I use the foam thermal pad on these too..

For reinstall of new chip here's what I do.. clean get the pads good and clean with flux and alcohol and qtips. Then apply liberal amount of paste flux to pads. Place new chip on board and align very carefully.

I use a 1/32" chisel tip and .015" solder and tin the tip of the iron and do the corners first, then hit each pin after. You can use an exacto knife to make sure there are no bridges between pins.

Comment

Sorry guys that I'm mixing threads here, but I have almost the same isue with almost the same T-con board but it's a Sony TV.
                        Tom, do you think that I could do this 20 pin measurements on mine also?
                        What should be the result? Voltages keep increasing in one way?
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28407
                        Post #19 is the T-con picture.
                        On mine, I have replaced this IC and it didn't change a thing. Now I'm getting the second mainboard(first one didn't change anything) and I will see what happens.

Comment

The picture looks a bit different then mine. It looks more like when I was messing with the LVDS format, See post #3 in the third photo. Don't know if its the same problem, on mine it seems more to a negative or inverted colored picture.

What are the measurements from pads 1 and 20? On mine it was decreasing as it went from pads 1 to 20, but there was a spike where the voltage jumped up once (showing that the gamma IC chip may be bad). If it only decreased in a constant fashion then, that chip probably isn't at fault.
                          Last edited by Glitcher; 05-28-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                            Sorry guys that I'm mixing threads here, but I have almost the same isue with almost the same T-con board but it's a Sony TV.
                            Tom, do you think that I could do this 20 pin measurements on mine also?
                            What should be the result? Voltages keep increasing in one way?
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28407
                            Post #19 is the T-con picture.
                            On mine, I have replaced this IC and it didn't change a thing. Now I'm getting the second mainboard(first one didn't change anything) and I will see what happens.
                            Yes, your problem is different. You are welcome to try measuring the voltages, but you will probably find that the IC is perfect.

Comment

Just got the IC's in today, when I solder them on the little circle on the chip is suppose to match with the arrow on the board correct?

Comment

Yes; also it should line up on one side with pin 1 (only one side will work!)

Comment

Finished it up! plugged everything back in and it works! =D
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome. Good job.

Comment

Nice one!
                                      Any chance you could log the new gamma voltages for future reference?

Comment

Nice!
                                        Why I can't be that lucky as you?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                          Nice one!
                                          Any chance you could log the new gamma voltages for future reference?
                                          Ahh I would but I already screwed everything back together =(

Comment

Working...
                                          X