Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd PS3 USB Hub Problem (power backfeed?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd PS3 USB Hub Problem (power backfeed?)

I didn't know where else to turn, I could post this on a dedicated PS3 forum but I doubt I would get any good info. If this is the wrong subforum feel free to move it.

I bought a USB Powered hub on Ebay so I could charge more than one controller with my PS3. The hub works fine for its intended purpose except for one fatal flaw. When I turn off my PS3 the hub should shut off too, instead it stays on for a second and my PS3 makes a horrible warble beepy sound. I have the newest Super Slim model, the hub is a CPS302 (an officially licensed product).

I thought about making a custom cable with diodes but I didn't want to have issues with voltage drop. I'm thinking if I used a data cable without power wires it may not turn on at all. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Odd PS3 USB Hub Problem (power backfeed?)

Is it a powered usb hub?
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Yes it has a ac adapter that provides power to the hub

Comment

why are you using a hub when all you need is a 5v supply and a bunch of usb sockets?
        the only time the controllers need to be connected to a ps3 is to sync them or use them in recovery mode where the wifi/bt interfaces are down.

Comment

True I could charge the controllers another way, I have a 8 amp 5 port USB charger. I guess I wanted to fix the issue in case I started using accessories that require power. The super slim has 2 ports and I keep a thumb drive plugged up at all times for backups.

It also kind of "grinds my gears" that this is an officially licensed product with such a weird design flaw. Maybe I really am the only person with this issue, I've been googling it and cant find any one else with this problem.

Comment

there is limited power on ps3 ports, i know someone who blew out a port charging his phone on it!

Comment

maybe try a better made usb hub?

Comment

maybe disconnect the 5v wire in the hub from the ps3 and see if it still works.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  there is limited power on ps3 ports, i know someone who blew out a port charging his phone on it!
                  Most USB 2.0 ports can only source 500ma, that's why I bought the externally powered hub.

If I have time tonight I want to experiment with a USB cable and see what works. Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                    maybe try a better made usb hub?
                    Yeah, I wonder if this one is fake or mis-labeled... like those 99 cent chinese USB SD card readers, which don't read all cards, and fail like crazy.

-Ben
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It could also be the hub's power adapter that is causing the issues - if it's one of those really cheap low-quality ones, it might have too much AC leakage current on the DC output.

Or, it could also be that the hub is back-feeding 5V to the PS3 through the USB 5V line.

Comment

Working...
                      X