This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Sacon FZ... dont need to say anything else.

Comment

I don't usually take capacitors apart...
      so here is a little Teapo/Yageo autospy. The SC series tends to develop various failures. One is a dried 1000/16 Teapo from psu's 5vsb. Bulging and dry.
      Second is a 2700/6.3 Yageo from a socket A motherboard's vrm; Not bulging, but the capacitance is way up and has some sort of corrosion inside.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
        Second is a 2700/6.3 Yageo from a socket A motherboard's vrm; Not bulging, but the capacitance is way up and has some sort of corrosion inside.
        I'm glad you measured the capacitance and posted a screenshot. Virtually all my bad caps measure much lower in capacitance with a multimeter.

Tom66 was the first person that I know who said some of his failed caps showed higher capacitance. Now we have more evidence.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think the elevated capacitance indicates a 'lytic whose water-based electrolyte lacks the necessary inhibitor and is attacking the aluminum oxide dielectric layer. Thinning that will raise the capacitance while lowering the maximum volltage. That process would end when the maximum voltage fell below the circuit voltage, and the cap either vented or launched.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Interesting, because that Yageo cap seems to have burnt the paper dielectric inside.

-Ben
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Failing 'lytics can get reeeeally hot if they don't vent quickly. OTOH, watching a 'lytic vent can be very entertaining.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                OTOH, watching a 'lytic vent can be very entertaining.
                Too bad they smell so nasty. Lytics with no vents are even more fun.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                  Failing 'lytics can get reeeeally hot if they don't vent quickly. OTOH, watching a 'lytic vent can be very entertaining.
                  huh, I thought they just always exploded.

So, if they get dried out then it will heat up instead of exploding?

-Ben
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

A 'lytic cap is basically just a roll of aluminum foil in a liquid with 2 wires attached (a bit (very) over-simplified)

If there's no liquid (electrolyte) left, it'll act as a heater till it burns out (given enough current)

Comment

It's not roll of aluminium if I remember correctly. It's roll of a dielectric (paper, film, other materials) and between layers of the roll there's electrolytic substance.

They explode when the electrolytic turns to gas and increases the pressure inside, causing the aluminum can to burst out of the bottom plastic or simply crack where the aluminium can has some flaw and the plastic bottom is too well locked in place..
                      They burn when they're shorted and the electrolytic leaked already through the vent or porous plastic bottom.
                      Last edited by mariushm; 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Long, long ago in a thread far, far away ...

The electrolyte is part of the current path in an electrolytic capacitor; the paper helps hold it in suspension between the aluminum foils. Neither the electrolyte nor the paper is the dielectric. The dielectric is a thin layer of aluminum oxide formed on the aluminum anode foil. If the electrolyte dries out (I^2 * R self-heating and/or a nearby external heat source) or leaks out, there is no current, and no heat. Internal heat happens when there is too much current or unwanted chemical reactions happen (e.g. the applied voltage is too high, the electrolyte has thinned the aluminum oxide dielectric layer (lowering the maximum voltage) or is reverse polarity). Internal gas pressure can build, due to the heat and/or due to rapid forming of the oxide layer (over-voltage or reverse voltage). If the pressure gets too high, something gives. It might be the vent scored into the top of the can; lacking that, the can might pop its bottom, by lifting just enough to release the pressure or by launching (which does relieve the pressure).
                        PeteS in CA

Comment

Thought I would register to post a few pics of the badcaps in a Dell Optiplex GX270.

Comment

Oh those poor Rubycon capacitors... just go to show even the best can fall where there's loads of heat..

Comment

It was caked in dust.
                              The guy that brought it said he had cleaned it and hoovered (vacuumed if your American ) it out.

I'm glad he doesn't clean my house...

I'm hoping changing the caps will stop it shutting down with a thermal error, although it seems a lot of work for such an old machine.

Comment

Make sure the chipset heatsink is on correctly. Those like to come loose or fall off, if I'm thinking of the correct Dell

Comment

The chipset heatsink is fine, I just checked and it's not loose at all.

There is another cap that is bubbled a little where the AGP slot meets the memory slot, going to change that too, 1500uf.

Comment

Caps all changed and it's working a treat.

I would have really struggled removing the heat sink mount if I hadn't found this forum, I would probably be looking for small bolts to replace the chewed up plastic pins about now instead of installing windows updates.

So, a big thank you is in order.

Comment

Hey so I really don't know if these are bad, it's just that all of the brown coloured one on this motherboard which is from 2008 are bulged out except for 1 which is visible in the second photo. What happened was a couple weeks ago there was this jack*ss electrician who shorted the whole circuit to the office and blew 2 PCs, this one still worked but now it turns on and hangs in windows. Booting with a CD that tests RAM hangs and so does the CPU test (UBCD 2011). Sometimes the PC won't turn on (black screen), I have to turn it off and try a few times. I would be real keen to try replacing the caps if someone else can tell me if these are really bad or they are supposed to look this way, there is no leakage or anything else but a faint smell comes from the board but it could just be my imagination.. It's a HP Compaq dx7400... What ya reckon? I guess my real question is, are there any 'Good' caps that have slight bulges, it just seems odd that it happened to almost all of the brown ones but not the other (guess the others are better quality)..
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by timb0; 05-16-2012, 07:09 AM. Reason: tidy up..

Comment

The swollen ones have to be replaced. They're going bad, maybe already outside their specs.
                                        The ones near them should also be replaced. They don't show signs of going bad, but maybe they simply were better built or they just had less electrolytic than the others and didn't generate enough gas to cause pressure on the top.

Either way, you should replace all, they're certainly a cause for your problems..

Start a separate thread in the proper section (motherboards) with the writing on the capacitors and we'll suggest replacements.

Comment

Those are Tk caps, known crap brand. Definitely replace all in the CPU VRM area, and around the chipset as well.
                                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                          X