Gateway 700G repair didn't take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 700G repair didn't take

I had it stored for a while, but IIRC, it just didn't react at all when I powered it up. I took it apart, and found four capacitors that have popped on the power supply board. The capacitors are green, made by Samxon, and are rated for 470 uF and 25V. I'm afraid I may have been too hasty in removing one of the capacitors - part of the PCB got lifted. I don't think the damage was extensive enough to solder in another wire.

A bunch of us were able to find four replacements, rated at 470 uF and 35V. I forgot the brand, but will note it. I have to take it apart again anyway. I believe the soldering was adequate and sufficient.

I turned it on, and yes, the power button shined blue, the LCD backlight activated and the floating RGB box appeared. An amber light appeared as the image and backlight went out (the monitor wasn't attached to video output).

I tried turning it on again, but all I got was a faint strobing backlight with no image (at least of the floating RGB box). The only other reaction I got was a blue box with the letters "ISP" appearing on the lower right of the LCD. The backlights were also activated in that instance. I can't replicate that condition, but I believe pressing the control panel buttons on side got the process going.

I'm reading the thread on the Gateway 900G with great interest, too.

I'd love to know what other things warrant further examination.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Gateway 700G repair didn't take - More info Needed!

Originally posted by lkvee
    I had it stored for a while, but IIRC, it just didn't react at all when I powered it up. I took it apart, and found four capacitors that have popped on the power supply board. The capacitors are green, made by Samxon, and are rated for 470 uF and 25V. I'm afraid I may have been too hasty in removing one of the capacitors - part of the PCB got lifted. I don't think the damage was extensive enough to solder in another wire.

A bunch of us were able to find four replacements, rated at 470 uF and 35V. I forgot the brand, but will note it. I have to take it apart again anyway. I believe the soldering was adequate and sufficient.

I turned it on, and yes, the power button shined blue, the LCD backlight activated and the floating RGB box appeared. An amber light appeared as the image and backlight went out (the monitor wasn't attached to video output).

I tried turning it on again, but all I got was a faint strobing backlight with no image (at least of the floating RGB box). The only other reaction I got was a blue box with the letters "ISP" appearing on the lower right of the LCD. The backlights were also activated in that instance. I can't replicate that condition, but I believe pressing the control panel buttons on side got the process going.

I'm reading the thread on the Gateway 900G with great interest, too.

I'd love to know what other things warrant further examination.

Thanks for reading!
    I Repaired a Gateway FPD1760 (700G), so maybe in the notes I have I can find something. But you need to give more info (brand,series of replacements) and pictures if possible.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Re: Gateway 700G repair didn't take

I hope the camera worked well enough. The capacitors at C205, C206, and C110 were replaced with Rubycon capacitors rated at 470 uF and 35V. The capacitor at C211 was replaced with a Rubycon capacitor rated at 470 uF and 25V. The capacitor at C207 is the original Samxon, even though it's also rated at 470 uF and 25V. I couldn't see any visible signs of defect at C207.

I'm trying to upload eight JPG pictures, ranging in size from 1.14 to 2.01 MB but I get this message when I attempt to upload just one picture:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Badcaps Forums database.
      Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I'll send pics ASAP, and I'm looking at the free picture hosting sites, too, but they require a smaller size.

Comment

NOW I hope these pictures will help. I figured out the requirements for posting them. I'm still getting the condition, but now also have a *9*00G I am examining now. I even think they use the same boards, too, but I haven't started examining that 900G, so I haven't taken it apart yet.

Thanks again!
        Attached Files

Comment

NOW I hope these pictures will help. I figured out the requirements for posting them. I'm still getting the condition, but now also have a *9*00G I am examining now. I even think they use the same boards, too, but I haven't started examining that 900G, so I haven't taken it apart yet.

Thanks again!
          The fact that you have a 900G opens some possibilities now. Post the problem of the 900G here, or go to the 900G thread and make a reference that you are posting there too. They use similar boards (some of them). You now have a set of lamps to test with (depending on the 900G problem).
          Check if there's not a stuck panel button. If the panels are the same between the two units, put the panel of the 900G in the 700G and see what happen (or change the ribbon cable too). If it turned on to a floating "I don't get signal and I'll go to standby" box, then the lamps & inverter are working. See what is the native resolution of that monitor (res. and freq.) and set the computer that way, power it off, plugin the monitor, turn it on and then the computer, and let it go across the different modes the computer goes before showing the desktop (text mode, lo-res graphic mode for the startup banner, desktop res..in the case of XP.). See what happens. And post the info on the caps you removed and what did you install too.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

The 900G gives that "infamous 2 seconds to black" phenomenon. It's plugged into my laptop right now, and everything behaves as expected for the first two seconds or so. There *IS* an image, but no backlight.

I'm not sure what else I can consider and try, given the problems with the 700G. I haven't opened up the 900G yet.

Comment

The 900G gives that "infamous 2 seconds to black" phenomenon. It's plugged into my laptop right now, and everything behaves as expected for the first two seconds or so. There *IS* an image, but no backlight.

I'm not sure what else I can consider and try, given the problems with the 700G. I haven't opened up the 900G yet.
              On this, they might be the lamps. If the boards are the same, take your 700G screen and hook it up to the 900G PSU/Inverter (just the 4 CCFLs), and post the result of the experiment. With time, you'll learn which way to choose.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I opened up the 900g and whaddya know? Two bad caps on C205 and C206. Looks like the board is similar to that of the 900g. I see this designation on the 900G:

860-ALZ-GJ912D
                F2768010G

I see this on the 700G:

860-ALZ-GJ712D
                F1723493G

The capacitors are the same Samxons that popped up on the 700G.

I haven't replaced them yet, but I did take pictures of the 900G's power supply board.
                Attached Files

Comment

I opened up the 900g and whaddya know? Two bad caps on C205 and C206. Looks like the board is similar to that of the 900g. I see this designation on the 900G:

860-ALZ-GJ912D
                  F2768010G

I see this on the 700G:

860-ALZ-GJ712D
                  F1723493G

The capacitors are the same Samxons that popped up on the 700G.

I haven't replaced them yet, but I did take pictures of the 900G's power supply board.
                  The boards should be the same. For 15" there is a type/model/kind, and for 17~19 (and even sometimes 20) there's another one. That board and the 700G look like the same. If they were in front of me, I'll take the recaped 700G PSU and use it in the 900G, to see the resulting reaction. This will serve to see if the lamps on the 900G work (they should). That boards are the same.
                  Ths is a picture of my 700G PSU:

If you want to be sure, just check the pinout for the connector that joins the video board with the PSU/Inverter board. The pins are marked with what they do. If they are the same, it is safe to proceed : get your recaped PSU and put it in your 900G. If I had to choose to get only one working, it would be the 900G (Size DOES matter )
                  Attached Files
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I'm not sure if I followed the directions correctly, but I swapped LCD's and pretty much replicated the original conditions. On the 900G with its original PSU board (with two blown caps) and the 700G LCD, I got an image with a backlight and then fade-to-black as with the 900G with original parts. On the 700 with its original PSU board (with four replaced caps) and the 900G LCD, I **THOUGHT** I saw a strobing backlight with no image. I couldn't adjust the lighting enough to confidently confirm what I observed.

I plan to recap the two blown caps on the 900G next week.

Comment

OK. here's an idea (I've done this before).
                      You have two screens, with two sets of lamps (two upper and two lower lamps).
                      Take your recapped PSU and the 700G VBoard. Attach the original screen to the 700GVBoard, and attach only the two upper lamps to the inverter. The lower lamps woud not be attached from the original 700G screen. Instead of that, attach the upper lamps of the 900g. Same problem? attach the lower lamps from the 700g and still attach the upper ones from the 900g, the point is to find out what lamp set is bad.
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I wasn't able to try to one board to two LCD's idea, BUT I did replace capacitors C205 and C206 with two LXF capacitors rated 470uf / 25V 105 deg.C

I plugged in the monitor, got the blue power light, got an image with backlight with a blue box in the middle with perhaps the phrase "Input Signal", and then the image and backlight go out, and a few seconds later, the blue power light turns to amber.

I'm probably going to systematically replace all of the capacitors as I get suitable replacements.

I may still try that one board to two LCD's next week.

I forgot the camera that day, too, so I hope the lack of pictures won't hold anything back.

Comment

I wasn't able to try to one board to two LCD's idea, BUT I did replace capacitors C205 and C206 with two LXF capacitors rated 470uf / 25V 105 deg.C

I plugged in the monitor, got the blue power light, got an image with backlight with a blue box in the middle with perhaps the phrase "Input Signal", and then the image and backlight go out, and a few seconds later, the blue power light turns to amber.

I'm probably going to systematically replace all of the capacitors as I get suitable replacements.

I may still try that one board to two LCD's next week.

I forgot the camera that day, too, so I hope the lack of pictures won't hold anything back.
                          I'm gonna get one of those LCDs next week, so I will be able to be of more help with the beast in front of me.
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Did you happen to ever find a replacement board for the lcd power inverter?

Comment

same exact with me? Repair was did not take. Were you ever able to find a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by christian42374
                                same exact with me? Repair was did not take. Were you ever able to find a replacement?
                                Try :
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/GATEWAY-17-LCD-M...%3A1|294%3A100
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-900G-LCD...A1%7C294%3A100
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/NON-WORKING-PART...A1%7C294%3A100

Same board inside.
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Hello All,
                                  Thought I would add my thanks and ails, I work at a college who for a long time bought computers from gateway, so we have at least 200 or so of these monitors on our campus mostly 700Gs and 900Gs. On seeing that there seemed to be a rash of monitors breaking. I decided to do a little investigating and found this site. I have been able to fix three broken ones so far using the insights on the board. However, I am currently working on two that after replacing all the caps, including the small one. I am still not getting 5V. on one I am getting nothing and on the other I am getting around 2.5V. I am not sure where else to check. In trying to trace down the faulty part I might have shorted out a working PSU, though it still shows 5V but no blue light.
                                  As for the Technical details I replaced the caps with Xicon of equivalent uF values, for the small one (47uF) I replaced it with 100uF as someone else here has done.
                                  Any ideas or places to check for each of the problems would be greatly appreciated. I am relatively new to electronics repairs, but would ike to learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by jolarson
                                    Hello All,
                                    Thought I would add my thanks and ails, I work at a college who for a long time bought computers from gateway, so we have at least 200 or so of these monitors on our campus mostly 700Gs and 900Gs. On seeing that there seemed to be a rash of monitors breaking. I decided to do a little investigating and found this site. I have been able to fix three broken ones so far using the insights on the board. However, I am currently working on two that after replacing all the caps, including the small one. I am still not getting 5V. on one I am getting nothing and on the other I am getting around 2.5V. I am not sure where else to check. In trying to trace down the faulty part I might have shorted out a working PSU, though it still shows 5V but no blue light.
                                    As for the Technical details I replaced the caps with Xicon of equivalent uF values, for the small one (47uF) I replaced it with 100uF as someone else here has done.
                                    Any ideas or places to check for each of the problems would be greatly appreciated. I am relatively new to electronics repairs, but would ike to learn more.
                                    Welcome to the forum.

I guess you are checking for 5v at the pinout on the left of this picture (and I hope your PSU/Inv board is the same as this. If not, post a good pic).
                                    1.- Have you tested the fuse at the left of the cap bank?

2.- You replaced them with equivalent uF values. What about the ESR? What kind of Xicons did you use?

3.- On the dead one, do you get 12v?
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Yeah they are all the same board.

1. Yeah that fuse is blown on both the ones that 5V wasn't working right. I didn't see that fuse.

2. I got them off parts express,
                                      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...-1706&scqty=10
                                      these and the equivalent. I don't know how to test ESR.

3. Yes I got 12V

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by jolarson
                                        Yeah they are all the same board.

1. Yeah that fuse is blown on both the ones that 5V wasn't working right. I didn't see that fuse.

2. I got them off parts express,
                                        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...-1706&scqty=10
                                        these and the equivalent. I don't know how to test ESR.

3. Yes I got 12V

Thanks,
                                        The reason you don't get 5v out in the pinout going to the VBoard might be that fuse. As for the ESR, if you lookup the series (2 or three character code, like GF , KF,FC, found on the caps you removed) you can find the ESR values that you need. Normally, Panasonic FC or FM series are suitable for that kind of applications.
                                        If you replace that fuses (or TO TEST, you can bridge them if you get 5v before the fuse) the units may come to life. Or you can take the fuse of the third unit that you suspect you shorted, just to see if that's the only problem you have left in that two boards (blown fuse).
                                        As for parts, try Digikey.com.
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                        X