LCD Ribbon repair possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Ribbon repair possible?

Hello, I was repairing a monitor backlight and right as I was putting everything back together my finger slid and "unstuck" some of the ribbon cabling going to the LCD screen itself. I've attached a couple pictures to show you what I mean.

Is there any way to repair this? Any tricks I'm not seeing? Am I SOL on this monitor? Thanks!

T
    Attached Files

Re: LCD Ribbon repair possible?

That usually falls under the category of non-repairable. That ribbon cable is bonded (welded) to the LCD panel using specialized equiptment.
    Last edited by jetadm123; 05-09-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

If it didnt come completely off, I'd try it anyways. If it did come off or if it doesnt work once put back together, chalk it up to a learning experience. I dont go but so far with repairs of these things just for that reason. Once you get to taking the screen off, some things are just too damn flimsy. I do board repairs and stop at that. No screen replacements for me. Not worth it.
      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

I did try it, and it did not work. Would it be possible to perhaps reheat the strip and connect it again? At this point nothing hurts...

Perhaps use an iron or heat gun? Anyone else have a suggestion?

Comment

im pretty sure thats like welded on with ultrasonic equipment. Heating with a heat gun or soldering iron will just ruin it for sure.

Id try laying some rubber strips, or foam strips, something so that when you put this back in its frame the strips press hard on the ribbon, pressing it firmly back in place against the display panel.

is it right? hell no. WOuld i try it? what do you have to lose!

Comment

Light heat does a pretty good job of removing those ribbon cables without damage but new anisotropic conductive paste is required to put them back on. The trick of the paste is that it conducts up and down from each pin on the board to each pin on the cable but it does not conduct across to short out all of the pins.

It doesn't look hard to use. I just can't figure out how to buy it.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
              Light heat does a pretty good job of removing those ribbon cables without damage but new anisotropic conductive paste is required to put them back on. The trick of the paste is that it conducts up and down from each pin on the board to each pin on the cable but it does not conduct across to short out all of the pins.

It doesn't look hard to use. I just can't figure out how to buy it.
              This site has a video illustrating the process and a 'click to buy' section.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the link, PlainBill!

Just curious, but which kind would I need to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by TVo View Post
                  Hey, thanks for the link, PlainBill!

Just curious, but which kind would I need to buy?
                  As in many things, I don't have a clue.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

oh wow thats cool stuff!

i wonder if we could fix krappy tab bonds on sony kdl series tvs with that krap?

Comment

Originally posted by TVo View Post
                      Hello, I was repairing a monitor backlight and right as I was putting everything back together my finger slid and "unstuck" some of the ribbon cabling going to the LCD screen itself. I've attached a couple pictures to show you what I mean.

Is there any way to repair this? Any tricks I'm not seeing? Am I SOL on this monitor? Thanks!

T
                      Did you find a way to repair it. I am having a same kind off problem with 50" lcd tv.

Comment

I'm going to experiment on this.

Comment

superg this thread is very old- there are many threads on the forum re tab bonds and attempts to repair - just search for tab bond
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I used with succes a special silicone band from used fuser from copiers

Comment

Working...
                            X