Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Cap Datasheet interpretation, dissipation factor: tan d / LCR measurement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Cap Datasheet interpretation, dissipation factor: tan d / LCR measurement.

I am just another lost soul which discovered that most datasheets of the common electrolytic (120Hz) they offer just the dissipation factor (D) and not any ESR data.
    But the good news is that I do have next to me two professional portable LCR meters.

The confusing part looks to be the Datasheet interpretation regarding the given dissipation factor (D) and the reading that I get from those LCR.

The manufacturer for example offer a value 0.18 / 120 Hz as Max Tan Delta for a cap at 10uF 25V.

Few lines down on the datasheet there are the description that the healthy capacitor should be 200% less or equal from the given (Max Tan Delta).

The actual measurement about (D) dissipation which comes from both LCR is D = 0.074

I had read lots of documents about this matter and only one gave me some light by saying that you can multiply tan d x 100 so to become percentage.

This is the picture that I have so far and it is not complete.

What I need is the practical way that some one has to follow so make those data to have a true value.

Specific questions:
    1) Should I have to multiply the given Max Tan delta by 100 so to become a percentage?
    2) Should I have to divide the above SUM by minus 200% so to come close at the (acceptable healthy percentage) so the measurement which comes from the LCR meter to make sense?

General question: What is the math calculations that you do (practical or written) so to relate the given data with the actual reading which comes from one LCR meter.

I am aware that this subject is very complicate in a way, the manufactures of capacitors it is like been or gets hidden behind the complexity of the calculations of those factors.
    What I need is an easy guide of the steps which some one needs to follow so to decode the datasheet.

I am aware that ESR is very difficult to measure with low value capacitors, because the capacitive reactance is usually a great deal higher than the ESR itself.
    This is why I care to find this practical guide regarding dissipation factor (Tan d ).
    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 12-25-2012, 11:32 AM.

Re: Question: Cap Datasheet interpretation, dissipation factor: tan d / LCR measureme

Well if some one get to point to become that confused as I did, he will get a significan help if he read those lines.

http://conradhoffman.com/capchecktut.htm

Comment

Working...
    X