motherboards in storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motherboards in storage?

i have recently picked up a couple of Sabertooth motherboards that i want to put in "mothballs" for at least a few years. is there any possibility of capacitors going bad through not being used at all? the boards have been tested and put away in their boxes, so they are not connected to any power supply. also, they are in a climate controlled storage area. i no longer plan to ride the constant upgrade merry-go-round. i like this specific board, and want to just have spares for my current build that uses this board. am i being overly optimistic, or is it reasonable to assume that the capacitors will remain in pretty much their current state? thanks in advance for any insights and info.

Re: motherboards in storage?

Originally posted by omi5cron View Post
    i have recently picked up a couple of Sabertooth motherboards that i want to put in "mothballs" for at least a few years. is there any possibility of capacitors going bad through not being used at all? the boards have been tested and put away in their boxes, so they are not connected to any power supply. also, they are in a climate controlled storage area. i no longer plan to ride the constant upgrade merry-go-round. i like this specific board, and want to just have spares for my current build that uses this board. am i being overly optimistic, or is it reasonable to assume that the capacitors will remain in pretty much their current state? thanks in advance for any insights and info.
    I had a DFI/Itox GCB60BX motherboard sit for a few years, never having been powered up. Some of the caps burst in the package, leaving a mess. They were not good quality caps, though. So yes, it can happen.

Comment

Others have reported their experience

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19441
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

iirc the sabertooth is all poly.
        pull the battery though.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          pull the battery though.
          +1

If you don't, there's a high chance the battery will get drained and you will have to re-enter the BIOS settings regardless, so no point in keeping it in the motherboard. Besides, after a few years, you will probably forget what BIOS settings you put in originally anyways. The battery itself should be fine too if it's out of the motherboard.

Comment

I have a Sabertooth mobo and it has all poly caps.

Comment

Working...
            X